Double Drowning

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
A quick looksee of the video at the link reminds me of those two times north of Santa Cruz, that one time south of Montera, and that time near Bodega Bay.

Don't think I'd try to be the hero in that situation.

Reactions: PRCD

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
If it was one of my kids or my wife, I'd go for it.
Otherwise, I don't think I would because the chance of surviving it would not be good.
The swimming would not be the issue for me, it would be getting smashed into the rocks.
In a situation like that, I think I would try to pull the victim out beyond the waves and wait for a boat.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I think I would try to pull the victim out beyond the waves and wait for a boat.
Yes, or maybe swim to a beach or better spot to clime ashore if there's one nearby.

Growing up, our house was on the edge of rocky cliffs that looked just like that. Wasn't that easy to climb out of the water even on a calm day.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
When they were on rock. That was only chance. Looks like big reef but deep enough to not let you stand.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Your only hope of saving her would be having a buoy and fins and swimming her out to sea and back around to one of the beaches. It looks like this might be the spot, in which case you'd better make sure you can power through the sets underwater while towing a victim before you decide to make the rescue or you'll just get pounded into the rocks in the cove.

Do not try to make a rescue when you aren't sure whether you're going to become another victim, especially if you have a wife and kids. Yes, he was a hero, and we'd all be cheering for him if he'd succeeded. Now, he has a widow.
1632783669958.png

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It looks like he fatigued trying to save her. The right move was to head to sea.

But it would have been hard with the drowning girl.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Ah fuck that was actually rough to watch.

definitely had to go out to sea, and if PRCD got the spot right that swim to a safer area looks doable.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Looked like a short-period swell, so even though going out to sea and getting the fuck away from those rocks would be your only chance of living, dragging a panicked person out through those waves would be tough.

Reactions: Mr Doof and mundus

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Your only hope of saving her would be having a buoy and fins and swimming her out to sea and back around to one of the beaches. It looks like this might be the spot, in which case you'd better make sure you can power through the sets underwater while towing a victim before you decide to make the rescue or you'll just get pounded into the rocks in the cove.

Do not try to make a rescue when you aren't sure whether you're going to become another victim, especially if you have a wife and kids. Yes, he was a hero, and we'd all be cheering for him if he'd succeeded. Now, he has a widow.
View attachment 116867
Agreed. You HAVE to get off the rocks in that situation, or you are getting bludgeoned.

Reactions: Mr Doof

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If it was one of my kids or my wife, I'd go for it.
Otherwise, I don't think I would because the chance of surviving it would not be good.
The swimming would not be the issue for me, it would be getting smashed into the rocks.
In a situation like that, I think I would try to pull the victim out beyond the waves and wait for a boat.
I wouldn't jump in even if it were my wife (I don't have kids).

Because the way the water is behaving in that setup indicates a likely impossible exit.

And even if it were possible in the right moment... you're going to fatigue way too fast.

There is no way you're going to guide someone out of that if you're in the water. No way to pull them to safety either.

I think the only thing to do for the victim in this situation is coach from the cliff.

Reactions: enframed