DIY kit?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I went today in 9-13 knots and got up on foil once using my M200 and 6.5 m wing. Strangely my switch stance was easier and that's what I briefly foiled on. I felt a lot more in control this (second) time but feel like the foil doesn't have enough lift for my weight and the winds. I need the GoFoil GT 2600 for my area.. Going again on Thursday with my wing and the instructor's foil.

Reactions: averagejoe and Hdip

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Nice!!! I had a good session today too. Right up until the wind just completely and utterly died. Then I made the longest paddle I've had to make I think. Came in about 2 miles from my car. Ugh.

EDIT: GoFoil 200 is super lifty I've always heard. Keep at it. The learning curve ramps up so fast once you start to get it.

Reactions: averagejoe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Nice!!! I had a good session today too. Right up until the wind just completely and utterly died. Then I made the longest paddle I've had to make I think. Came in about 2 miles from my car. Ugh.

EDIT: GoFoil 200 is super lifty I've always heard. Keep at it. The learning curve ramps up so fast once you start to get it.
Those Foil Drives are not a bad idea, huh?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Wednesday I took another lesson. The instructor said I don't need anymore since I was getting upwind fine and no longer needed to get out and walk back up. The winds were light and I was unable to get up on the 2200 cm^2 foil with a 7m wing and pumping.

For my fifth time out, I think I'm going to head to Cabrillo.

I think I'm going to buy the Go Foil G/T 2600. Depending on how well it works, I may replace the Tuller insert with a rail system. I really want to try to make my own board just for fun. I can see myself doing more of this and less surfing except that my boys are all starting to surf now.

Reactions: averagejoe and Hdip

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Congratulations on not having to walk anymore. Now it'll start getting more fun. Once that fear of not being able to get back to your car goes away the whole ocean is open to you.

Reactions: PRCD and averagejoe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Congratulations on not having to walk anymore. Now it'll start getting more fun. Once that fear of not being able to get back to your car goes away the whole ocean is open to you.
The fuselage on my GoFoil mast had been sanded by a previous owner and was making the foil wobbly so I put mold release on the inside of my 1700 foil, epoxied the fuselage, and used the foil insert as a mold. Thoughts and prayers that I can get the foil back off otherwise this foil is now permanent.

Update: yep, it's permanent.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hdip

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Tip on wing removal:

I had some really really stuck ones ... but they all always came off eventually. I also DIY'd a number of wings and made the mast connections as you described. Though with a layer of tuck tape underneath the wax (thin plastic tape for house air-sealing).

Making a board is fun indeed and fairly straightforward -- a lot less picky and design oriented than a surfboard. If you do go this route, I can pm some of the help videos I found useful. I am up to roughly 20 or so. Have taken a couple year hiaitus though, with all the boards I need for a while now. My next project is going to be an XPS wing/prone board homage to Hdip's Omen love affair.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Tip on wing removal:

I had some really really stuck ones ... but they all always came off eventually. I also DIY'd a number of wings and made the mast connections as you described. Though with a layer of tuck tape underneath the wax (thin plastic tape for house air-sealing).

Making a board is fun indeed and fairly straightforward -- a lot less picky and design oriented than a surfboard. If you do go this route, I can pm some of the help videos I found useful. I am up to roughly 20 or so. Have taken a couple year hiaitus though, with all the boards I need for a while now. My next project is going to be an XPS wing/prone board homage to Hdip's Omen love affair.
How'd you keep the 2x10 from splitting? I tried using duct tape around it. Maybe I need to go get a Simpson strong tie or something. Anyways, it's still not coming off. I'm going to keep wacking it.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
How'd you keep the 2x10 from splitting? I tried using duct tape around it. Maybe I need to go get a Simpson strong tie or something. Anyways, it's still not coming off. I'm going to keep wacking it.
Do some more searching in youtube, there's a few others who have posted their methods for removing ... maybe another will work better. For me, this method worked fine, but sounds like you're more stuck. But to avoid splitting: I think you need to have the 2x10 the other way, as wood can split along grain but is exceptionally strong against the grain. So line up a couple 2x10s and have at 'r

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Do some more searching in youtube, there's a few others who have posted their methods for removing ... maybe another will work better. For me, this method worked fine, but sounds like you're more stuck. But to avoid splitting: I think you need to have the 2x10 the other way, as wood can split along grain but is exceptionally strong against the grain. So line up a couple 2x10s and have at 'r
I clearly didn't use enough mold release. How much should you use? The answer is always, "More." I'm going to try putting the trailing edges of the FOILS on top of 2x10s on top of saw horse then whacking the mast right above the fuselage through a third 2x10. Thoughts/prayers, etc.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Tried heating it with a heat gun and pounding the mast. No joy. The strength of the fuselage was already highly-questionable b/c there was a big crack in it. Turns out I could've just shimmed this with metal tape. :foreheadslap::roflmao:

• Sad
Reactions: juandesooka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@juandesooka Can you poast/DM me some of the DIY videos you mentioned? Meanwhile, I'm going to try to replace the Tuller box with a track mount. I'll probably have this done profeshunally give my DIY success this week.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Welp I drove up to Cabrillo and finally experienced real wind. Hilarity ensued.

• Haha
Reactions: Hdip

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Now that I've gotten over the shame, let me tell you how Cabrillo went. It took 2.5 hours to get up there with traffic. Sure enough, there was wind - a lot more than I was used to. Not knowing any better, I launched from the beach rather than the quay wall and quickly got blown offshored. I tried to beat back upwind but didn't have the skills. I only brought my 6.5 meter wing so I didn't have the skills to adjust to the gusts and ended up taxing on my knees back to the quay wall until I decided to tie the wing to my ankle and paddle. Relieved, I untied my wing and tied it do someone else's anchor and buoy sitting in the water. Deciding to try again, I unhooked my wing from the buoy and started to wrap it around my arm when a gust ripped it out of my hands and it started flipping end-over-end out to sea. I tried to swim for it, but it was getting away too fast. Providentially, a dude on a foiling windsurfer sailed over to it, easily attached it to his mast, and brought it back to me as if it was nothing. I gave him the best thanks I could but it was no big deal for him. At that point I called it a day. When I got home, I bought a belt for my leash and a Cloud IX Anchor Man attachment so this doesn't happen again.

At this point, you're probably wondering what I've done since then. This is where you get to say, "I told you so," however bear in mind I was taking your advice by going to a high-wind place. I haven't tried to foil since. The afternoon thermal winds at Cabrillo started to die towards the end of summer and one guy at Cabrillo was telling me he was going to go to La Ventana over the winter to keep up his skills. I thought I'd go to an inland lake like Mohave or Isabella but I didn't want to camp out by myself and the kids were back in school. I'd really like to fly to La Ventana or maybe Gavelston and spend a week learning. More and more light wind stuff is coming out, like using DW boards for light winds, but you really have to have the foiling down first before you can get into pumping up on gusts or trying to control a narrower DW boar. Even then, 10 knots is really the minimum and we rarely see even that down here.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Ouch. Learning to foil has a very steep learning curve. If you can make it a few more sessions I promise you that your skill will start ramping up quickly and it becomes super fun as opposed to the lugging furniture up and down the beach that it feels like right now.

It's been the non-windy season. We're coming into spring. Just give it through spring before you make any decisions.

Reactions: PRCD

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Now that I've gotten over the shame, let me tell you how Cabrillo went. It took 2.5 hours to get up there with traffic. Sure enough, there was wind - a lot more than I was used to. Not knowing any better, I launched from the beach rather than the quay wall and quickly got blown offshored. I tried to beat back upwind but didn't have the skills. I only brought my 6.5 meter wing so I didn't have the skills to adjust to the gusts and ended up taxing on my knees back to the quay wall until I decided to tie the wing to my ankle and paddle. Relieved, I untied my wing and tied it do someone else's anchor and buoy sitting in the water. Deciding to try again, I unhooked my wing from the buoy and started to wrap it around my arm when a gust ripped it out of my hands and it started flipping end-over-end out to sea. I tried to swim for it, but it was getting away too fast. Providentially, a dude on a foiling windsurfer sailed over to it, easily attached it to his mast, and brought it back to me as if it was nothing. I gave him the best thanks I could but it was no big deal for him. At that point I called it a day. When I got home, I bought a belt for my leash and a Cloud IX Anchor Man attachment so this doesn't happen again.

At this point, you're probably wondering what I've done since then. This is where you get to say, "I told you so," however bear in mind I was taking your advice by going to a high-wind place. I haven't tried to foil since. The afternoon thermal winds at Cabrillo started to die towards the end of summer and one guy at Cabrillo was telling me he was going to go to La Ventana over the winter to keep up his skills. I thought I'd go to an inland lake like Mohave or Isabella but I didn't want to camp out by myself and the kids were back in school. I'd really like to fly to La Ventana or maybe Gavelston and spend a week learning. More and more light wind stuff is coming out, like using DW boards for light winds, but you really have to have the foiling down first before you can get into pumping up on gusts or trying to control a narrower DW boar. Even then, 10 knots is really the minimum and we rarely see even that down here.
no shame and no big deal man.

i was in ventana from Oct 31 - dec 23. foiled my brains out.

NOT A BEGINNER FRIENDLY SPOT

most of my group of foiling friends have been at it for a 2-3 years. i started in may and i'm almost caught up with them. i'm nailing 80% of my jibes and foot switches. one of my buddies keeps egging me on to start toe side tacks.

when said buddy and i were in ventana, we commented to each other many times that it's not a place to try to learn to wing. when norte's blow through, there's a lot of swell and chop, making it difficult to get on the board and get going. then when you're going - it gets gnarly. my ass was puckered tighter than a drum several times doing downwinders. you might get lucky and find a light wind day or two, but i really wouldn't suggest it.

on the drive down, we passed by salton sea and it looked like a pretty fun wing foil spot. how far would your drive out there be? if you want to fly someplace to learn for a wing, i'd go to hatteras.

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD