DIY kit?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm not willing to fork-out $2k to get a foil, but I am willing to use the left-over epoxy and glass from my boat build to DIY. I'm 6'0/210 lbs and am wondering if this will work for a prone paddler. Seems to have huge volume.
What wing/mast/stabilizer?

Edit: here's my shopping cart so far. I think I'm good with this. If I want to kite, I can get a kite foil set.
1680885437193.png

After I do this, is there a way to hook-up with someone in SD county who can help me get started?

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I known nothing about what you're ordering, but the guys at the Del Mar dog beach are really friendly.
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this. 94 L should be plenty to float me with almost no speed. If not, no loss. I can definitely sell it for what I paid for it. I like the scow hull.

Here's a guy on a 5'0" using the wing foils in almost no wind:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Do you want to prone paddle into waves? It's to wide is the main issue. It's a wing board. If you want to wing it's great. There's very little downside to getting that and making it.

Kyle Knox is down that way and I think he has used gear to sell at the moment too. Other than that. Day trips to San O will usually find you something to ride since an AXIS demo guy is there most days.

Reactions: averagejoe and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Do you want to prone paddle into waves? It's to wide is the main issue. It's a wing board. If you want to wing it's great. There's very little downside to getting that and making it.
Thanks. Yes, I think I mostly want to wing. Does that have enough volume for me?
Kyle Knox is down that way and I think he has used gear to sell at the moment too. Other than that. Day trips to San O will usually find you something to ride since an AXIS demo guy is there most days.
Thanks. I think I'll go up to San O next week while the water's still cold and demand is low. :cheers:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
If you weigh 210. Then standard formula used for board size is your weight in KG 95 + 20 = board volume. So to just stand on a board and lift up a wing and wait for wind you'd be looking at something bigger than the board you linked. You don't use those boards for very long. They are useful though. It's kind of like kiting. Paying for lessons is often worth it, just so you can use the schools beginner gear before you buy what you're going to actually ride. Or older SUP foil boards are great to learn to wing and people often have them sitting in their garage still.

So that board is kind of a neutral board for you. It'll be fine, but you won't be standing on it waiting for wind. You'll be knee starting and then when you have wind in the wing, you get your front foot up in a drop knee position. Then when you have another gust in the wing, use the wing as a pull up bar to get to your feet. As long as you have wind the board will work.

https://www.instagram.com/califoilia/ is your AXIS demo guy. I thought he was on here, must've been a different message board though.

@steamroller is your spirit animal to look to for winging as a bigger guy. He's got it all figured out. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqgavRtgG3u/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If you weigh 210. Then standard formula used for board size is your weight in KG 95 + 20 = board volume. So to just stand on a board and lift up a wing and wait for wind you'd be looking at something bigger than the board you linked. You don't use those boards for very long. They are useful though. It's kind of like kiting. Paying for lessons is often worth it, just so you can use the schools beginner gear before you buy what you're going to actually ride. Or older SUP foil boards are great to learn to wing and people often have them sitting in their garage still.

So that board is kind of a neutral board for you. It'll be fine, but you won't be standing on it waiting for wind. You'll be knee starting and then when you have wind in the wing, you get your front foot up in a drop knee position. Then when you have another gust in the wing, use the wing as a pull up bar to get to your feet. As long as you have wind the board will work.
how much wind? I saw the guy in that video getting up in light puffs, but he was lighter.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
how much wind? I saw the guy in that video getting up in light puffs, but he was lighter.

To learn to wingfoil you will want 15 MPH steady. If it drops below 12 MPH in the gusts you will hate life. If it's solid 15-18 MPH you will learn in 2 sessions. That's why people go on vacation to learn. Maui. La Ventana, Baja. If it get's above 20 MPH, then you might want a smaller hand wing (board and foil will stay the same while you're learning most likely)

Reactions: averagejoe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
To learn to wingfoil you will want 15 MPH steady. If it drops below 12 MPH in the gusts you will hate life. If it's solid 15-18 MPH you will learn in 2 sessions. That's why people go on vacation to learn. Maui. La Ventana, Baja. If it get's above 20 MPH, then you might want a smaller hand wing (board and foil will stay the same while you're learning most likely)
How fast was the wind going when you did this?
1680920269524.png

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
1680920994510.png

Between 2-4 ish. So 16-20 with a few higher gusts. I was on my biggest gear. Onofoils swift 230 (big foil) 6 meter Vayu hand wing. Wind felt somewhat light. I would've guessed under 20. I'm probably just remembering those lulls down near 10 MPH though. Those are fine to get through if you're on foil. If you're trying to get up when it's a lull you hate life.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Review of the best deal in foiling. ONO foils. $1400 for a full setup, including a good carbon mast.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Realistically, our wind doesn't get above 10-12 knots in the afternoon very often. I'd probably need at least an 8 M^2 wing and a foil larger than 1500 cm^2 to do it.
1680979884373.png

As to whether I can use a sinker board as well, there are some methods for getting up on them, but IDK if they'd work in light winds. Seems like you have to start on a reach.

I can see why people go somewhere with strong winds to learn this, but - wow - what barriers-to-entry - expensive gear and a costly training.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
If you have Instagram message that guy Dave "Califoilia" that I linked above. He's down there and is into winging now. He'd have insight on the equipment needed and how many days a month are likely to be windy. 10-12 knots, that's super light wind. It's going to be hard to learn. Most guys just don't go out in that wind. Clinton's video that I also linked showed the best solution to the light wind I've seen so far. The long and narrow boards that are popular for DownWinding. Those boards build board speed so much faster than normal wing boards. Then they release from the water much better since they are narrow.

Have you considered any inland lakes? I spent a lot of last summer at Lake Piru up here. The beauty of wing foil is it opens up bodies of water you'd never considered before.

EDIT: Not exactly sure where you are, but here are the stats off of ikite.com for Moonlight beach. June, July and August look to be a bunch of throwing tantrums in the water because you're so frustrated trying to learn with no wind. It's a wind sport. It would be like trying to surf on a flat day. If you don't have waves, you can't surf. If you don't have wind you can't wing.

1680981961748.png

Compared to the wind at Cabrillo, Los Angeles Harbor. San Pedro area. One of the most consistently windy spots around.

1680982128356.png

• Wow

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Do people try to wing foil while they learn to stand on the wing and ride?

That seems like a lot to learn.

I would learn to foil behind a boat or jet ski first.

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah, it's not that bad. The wing is basically a pull up bar. So it's easier than learning in the surf, that's for sure.

Reactions: Autoprax

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If you have Instagram message that guy Dave "Califoilia" that I linked above. He's down there and is into winging now. He'd have insight on the equipment needed and how many days a month are likely to be windy. 10-12 knots, that's super light wind. It's going to be hard to learn. Most guys just don't go out in that wind. Clinton's video that I also linked showed the best solution to the light wind I've seen so far. The long and narrow boards that are popular for DownWinding. Those boards build board speed so much faster than normal wing boards. Then they release from the water much better since they are narrow.
Seems like this is what you're talking about - getting a downwind board and a 6-8 m wing. The issue is transitioning from displacement to planing to foiling.
Have you considered any inland lakes? I spent a lot of last summer at Lake Piru up here. The beauty of wing foil is it opens up bodies of water you'd never considered before.
Good idea, but I'd like something I can do on an afternoon.

EDIT: Not exactly sure where you are, but here are the stats off of ikite.com for Moonlight beach. June, July and August look to be a bunch of throwing tantrums in the water because you're so frustrated trying to learn with no wind. It's a wind sport. It would be like trying to surf on a flat day. If you don't have waves, you can't surf. If you don't have wind you can't wing.
Point taken. I'd like to try it all the same though. I have experience sailing. Seems like you point the board and wing on a reach and then try to pull up. Better if I can borrow some equipment to try.

@steamroller sighting in this video:

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
@steamroller sighting in this video:
And my brother among others. Good crew at SBJ.

Also, winging is very fun. Sorry if I was bitter and old in my replies. I mainly wing now because it's empty once you get outside the surf zone.

That video from Real is exactly what I'm talking about. Very good light wind solution. Then if you want, you can also SUP foil them too.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This one seems like it would do the trick. The question is if I really need the downwind board or can I transition quickly to the foil if I use a 2300 cm^2 foil on the DIY board above.

Seems like there's no way around the cost of a kite for a guy my size in light wind.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Been chatting up every winger I see the last couple of weeks to try to figure out what gear to start on. Got this used Axis setup for $800 and I have a couple of Takoon wings on the way. One of the guys who’s been downloading info to me is going to loan me his 120L board to start on, then probably try to drop down to 105L

@PRCD I think you’re going too small on your board especially for light wind. You’ll be frustrated.

Attachments

Reactions: ghostshaper