Different strains....

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Auto flowers grown outside.
Put seed to soil just about 3-4 days before Easter weekend, they should be ready to cut within a week. By next full moon at the latest it seems.

Here they are today....

20230517_092147.jpg

...pulled them in under the terrace as we were expecting rain according to the weatherman. Of course, dry as a witches titty, not a drop.

Here's a question, anyone ever enjoy "super cured" flowers?

IMG-20230516-WA0000.jpeg

20230517_092608.jpg

20230516_090833.jpg

Found an old old bag of WeeD stuck in a drawer when Spring cleaning. Sometimes when the trimming is too much for just one soul, and noone around to help, I just stuff it in a drawer somewhere and forget about it. Found this yesterday, cleaned it up, along with the glassy...

IMG-20230516-WA0002.jpeg

This stuff is 2 bong hits and say goodbye to the next 4 to 5 hours of your day. Wake up feeling refreshed as if you'd slept an entire restful night.

Can you say NAP TIME?

Sure, I knew that you could!

:roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

It's my preferred wake n bake material. I love pre lunch naps.

:waving::dancing::shaka:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
WAIT THATS WHAT MY NEW KIDS LOOK LIKE TOO!
Off to the races. Unless my wife forgets to water them while I’m in Mexico for 8 days. But as disinterested as she is in cannabis- I could see, when I declared I had 5 sprouts, her own genuine excitement last night when I came in from watering.

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Off to the races. Unless my wife forgets to water them while I’m in Mexico for 8 days. But as disinterested as she is in cannabis- I could see, when I declared I had 5 sprouts, her own genuine excitement last night when I came in from watering.
Leaving the babies unattended for 8 days? On your first grow?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Gimme her number, I'll call her to remind her when to water.

:monkey:

I kid, I kid.

Or, do I?

:shrug::cool::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Reactions: Subway

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Drippers and a timer would be your best friend in this situation...I have years of experience in that department.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Would a tightly built greenhouse with some kind of air filtration system help with growing pakas or avocados? Or would the salt air and insects destroy it too quickly anyway?
For the pakalolo, yes but it wouldn’t be worth the investment to grow what’s “allowed” here. Avocados like the same conditions that mangoes like, mangoes need to be out of the salt air and don’t cut it on the beach. 1/2 mile inland, yes.

Reactions: bruhdakine

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
20230517_185659.jpg

New moon on the 18th,
Got these out for this next run.

1 HSC All Gass OG (feminized - for Sept)
1 Mendocino Chanel Kush (feminized - for Sept)
3 Banana Kush Cake (autos)
3 Honey Melon Kush (autos)
3 Sweet Tangie Turno (autos)

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Leaving the babies unattended for 8 days? On your first grow?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Gimme her number, I'll call her to remind her when to water.

:monkey:

I kid, I kid.

Or, do I?

:shrug::cool::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
She is aware of your existence. You’re the Canary guy

• Haha

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I have 3 sprouts now, between last night and when I got back from the city around 6:30. the LineOfGreen begins

I know this is child’s play to you west coast (and canary) hobby growers but for a born and raised “law breaking” New York cannabis enthusiast, first legal grow has gravitas

here is my line of green. You can see i have just a few feet (but it’s plenty) to keep these plants in the sun for basically the full day, minus maybe the first 2 hours of sun and the last hour or so before it sets. That house on the left is the south side obvi but believe it or not the summer sun passes directly above this little alley between houses for a full day sun.
View attachment 154275
Nice car

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I have her well trained ;)
I do think that continued flood irragation tends to push oxygen out of the soil but I don't think you have to worry about that with auto-flowers. That's why they often aerate the greens at your favorite golf course. As my wife once told us as we were fretting about one damn thing or another, 'they're weeds fer cryin' out loud!'.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I have 3 sprouts now, between last night and when I got back from the city around 6:30. the LineOfGreen begins

I know this is child’s play to you west coast (and canary) hobby growers but for a born and raised “law breaking” New York cannabis enthusiast, first legal grow has gravitas

here is my line of green. You can see i have just a few feet (but it’s plenty) to keep these plants in the sun for basically the full day, minus maybe the first 2 hours of sun and the last hour or so before it sets. That house on the left is the south side obvi but believe it or not the summer sun passes directly above this little alley between houses for a full day sun.
View attachment 154275

Is that an electricity cable there on the bottom left, running right behind the gutter?

Your neighbors have phooked their aluminum siding on the corner, looks like the bozo ran a moving van, rv or other tall vehicle into the corner of his house and never bothered to fix?

Good job on the cement grass game!

:shaka:

Canary guy - out!

:monkey::nana::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I do think that continued flood irragation tends to push oxygen out of the soil but I don't think you have to worry about that with auto-flowers. That's why they often aerate the greens at your favorite golf course. As my wife once told us as we were fretting about one damn thing or another, 'they're weeds fer cryin' out loud!'.
Even autos like their "breathe holding contests"? Who knew?

And here I always thought of watering like giving the plant a drink.... irregardless of auto, phenotype, season, indoor or outdoor.... this is simply the best way for novice growers to "get the picture"....

When you drink, do you sip or do you chug, or do you water board yourself just for the fun?

Plants are much more highly elevated spiritual beings than ourselves, they communicate between species, share water when others are in need, play music together, etc.... rarely do they go to war with each other, except when some stupid human introduces non native super invasive species.

As such, I picture plants as tea sippers, definitely not frat boys doing beer bongs and much less as Abu Graib prisoners getting water boarded for interrogation and torture purposes.

Once that picture gets into your head, you will never again water heavy nor fast, even when in a hurry.... you will always do so in a paused, calm and collected manner, listening/watching the plants themselves and trying to "hear/see" what they tell you as you give them a drink.

Two worlds apart, and the results definitely show.

Drip being absolutely the best way to go, EVAR!

:waving::shaka:

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Don't underestimate bottom watering with trays once the root system starts branching out (prob not in 10 gallons, I only use 4 gallon fabrics for autos)...really helps my plants reach down for water too and lessens potential pests/mold by doing about half and half.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Even autos like their "breathe holding contests"? Who knew?

And here I always thought of watering like giving the plant a drink.... irregardless of auto, phenotype, season, indoor or outdoor.... this is simply the best way for novice growers to "get the picture"....

When you drink, do you sip or do you chug, or do you water board yourself just for the fun?

Plants are much more highly elevated spiritual beings than ourselves, they communicate between species, share water when others are in need, play music together, etc.... rarely do they go to war with each other, except when some stupid human introduces non native super invasive species.

As such, I picture plants as tea sippers, definitely not frat boys doing beer bongs and much less as Abu Graib prisoners getting water boarded for interrogation and torture purposes.

Once that picture gets into your head, you will never again water heavy nor fast, even when in a hurry.... you will always do so in a paused, calm and collected manner, listening/watching the plants themselves and trying to "hear/see" what they tell you as you give them a drink.

Two worlds apart, and the results definitely show.

Drip being absolutely the best way to go, EVAR!

Oh so having that slow steady timed drip is preferable even to me just watering them gently? I read “they like water but don’t want to drown. Don’t have to water a lot of every day, just a decent drink when the soil dries out to an inch.” I also read to give them a good drink every day to keep them drunk while they are still sprouts (which they basically still will be while I’m gone for memorial week)

Alas, that is a fiber optic cable. Not electricity. Only option was to just drill right into the corner where the modem etc all live.

And that house next to ours? Owner is just going to rent it for as long as it’s standing and his kids or whomever will inherit and hopefully sell to an affluent gay male couple who will tear it down and build a beauty. It’s actually a perfect symbol for the dichotomies of LB.

Right now the dark and depressing ground apartment is section 8. A 12 year old boy (very sweet and very awkward) lives there with his junkie mom (always getting hauled off to the hospital) so we make sure the kid knows he’s not alone and is always welcome to come over any time, especially if things with his mom are scary or if she has to go to the hospital. The grandmother (she’s probably my wife’s age and looks 70) lives there too and is very nice and not a junkie. But she works easily 12 hours a day, so there have been a number of times where mom has some sort of OD or seizure and the ambulance comes for her, leaving the boy alone. Real life. But the owner gets a small check from the grandma every month, and a guaranteed check from HUD every month.

The upstairs apartment, not a section 8, is a legit 3BR 1 bath for 3k per month. Boring inside but not as “weathered” as you would think given the exterior. 2 young adult brothers live there and are super cool. They are just as excited about my thin green line as I am. I told them that in exchange for having to watch and smell my garden grow all summer that I will keep them high all fall :). Only one partakes but both thought that was pretty fun.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
DO NOT OVERWATER while sprouting, I like to water in rings outside of the stalk more than directly on them while young...the rest of the watering I start picking up pots and then soak, repeat...but the knuckle deep (hehe) method never hurt either. I'll do a side by side of 2 Mephisto autos (indoor vs. outdoor) that are about 35 days old - the difference is staggering, but will pull bud either way.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
thanks i was probably in danger of doing just that. So even while they are literally an inch high, just go with the knuckle method, and let the surface go dry a little bit between each watering like i will when they are actually plants?

could have sworn i read to keep them pretty well soaked for the first few weeks they are tiny little sprouts. But, then again, i have been giving them a good drink every evening, and by mid day the next day, the soil is still damp-ish, but not nearly a swamp, and in just a few days those little green gems are robust and growing fast. But i will downscale the amount of water (i imagine most of it drains down into the 10 gallon sack anyway, and i see the excess drain out from the bottom)

i have also been NOT hammering the sprouts themselves, mostly spraying gently around them in the pots, and letting the water soak over the grow spot from the outside in. they are sturdy looking little gals, but, even the biggest isn't even 2 inches tall yet. Just seemed logical to NOT hose the little sprouts right on the noggin

this is fun.

Reactions: wedge2 and mundus

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
thanks i was probably in danger of doing just that. So even while they are literally an inch high, just go with the knuckle method, and let the surface go dry a little bit between each watering like i will when they are actually plants?

could have sworn i read to keep them pretty well soaked for the first few weeks they are tiny little sprouts. But, then again, i have been giving them a good drink every evening, and by mid day the next day, the soil is still damp-ish, but not nearly a swamp, and in just a few days those little green gems are robust and growing fast. But i will downscale the amount of water (i imagine most of it drains down into the 10 gallon sack anyway, and i see the excess drain out from the bottom)

i have also been NOT hammering the sprouts themselves, mostly spraying gently around them in the pots, and letting the water soak over the grow spot from the outside in. they are sturdy looking little gals, but, even the biggest isn't even 2 inches tall yet. Just seemed logical to NOT hose the little sprouts right on the noggin

this is fun.
Don't do the knuckle thing or whatever until later...I'm just saying don't need to drown them - keep dampish, circling around makes it so you can't really drown them but get water to the roots. Sounds like you're doing fine, people over water early on and stunt and/or kill plants often that way when starting.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
As a general rule,
the further from the tap root you water, the further the roots will have to reach out seeking moisture.

Some rooting enhancer is not a bad idea for the first week, 10 days. Vegetative ferts after, flowering ferts once the hairs appear.

Stop all ferts at least a week, or two, before harvest. Thus is why it's a good idea to label them IMHO. This way, checking the geneticists website where you got the seeds from, you can practically calculate harvest date within a few days. This helps in order to know when to stop fertilizing.

Also, if you did use ferts, you have to flush. Over water a bit, allowing them to dry out between watering, to ensure the plant uploads whatever remaining ferts are left in the soil.

If you use already fertilized soil, no worries about flushing.

Oh, and just wait, cause the growing part is the easy part... drying and curing properly is an art form unto itself.

It is all fun as can be though, especially when you start learning from your plants, and they get you growing companion plants to help them out, and then your own food!

Edit: to avoid overwatering, keep the water boarding or beer bong image in your head when approaching your irrigation. Plants need to breath, and it's tough to do if they are always drinking water. :shrug:

Reactions: Subway and wedge2