Different strains....

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah I know my tent's dirty as f haha - So a little experiment. All four plants are 35ish days old and were started the same days, (outside) grown indoor for a week b/f putting outside. Two are Mango Smile and two a half cbd half thc cross (one of each in and outside). All were topped about a week back.

As you can tell there is quite a difference. I've been PH'ing and follwing my standard nute routine indoors. Outdoor has been hose and rain water and kinda living soil thing going on (worms and sh!t, in between some tomatoes). Been chilly at night, but I'm guessing the standard 3-5 oz per in the tent and who knows outdoor - maybe a half, but they are healthy. Germinating my photos for outdoor now (don't want them too big, we can harvest late Septish and I like the colors cooler temps sometimes bring out). You are about to learn a lot and prob **** your wife off a little with how obsessive it can get at times when starting - don't stress just enjoy it first grow(s). It get's so much easier after a few runs until you realize simplicity is actually better, but the correct simplicity.

1684415151624.jpeg1684415181170.png

Last edited:

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
this is fun.
Attaboy, that's the attitude!
Not only are drippers/timers time and labor-saving but also water-saving. A lot of this stuff was invented in Israel where it's kinda dry and water-saving is crucial. Right now our plants are 1-2' tall and we have 1/2gallon per hour drippers coming on for 10 minutes 4 times a day--not much water and they are booming. As the plants get bigger we'll up the duration but still 4 times a day. Of course this is all predicated on the soil being well-drained. Years ago we had some leftover girls that were the scraggly unchosen ones and we put down 3 logs to make 2 beds, threw a bunch of peat moss (one of the best growing mediums) and chicken sh!t (Stutzman being the standard of the industry around here forever). We had some strings of drippers that we had used to water pots, 20 drippers to a string...put 2 strings on each side, plugged them into a nearby creek and let them go full-time. This was in late July...turned into an eye-popping hedge that made us nervous. Weed will take as much water as you can give 'em, provided they have good drainage. Fun!

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
And plenty of full sun exposure for copious amounts of water, as well as good drainage.

Also, @Subway if you want, take the guess work out of it snd get tech to help you out.... I use one of these...

20230518_145634.jpg

..which you can pick up off of Amazon, or a local florists. Measures humidity, light and pH of soil. Takes all the guess work away, and easy enough to use for 10 pots. You will find that some may need more water than others, and this little gadget will help you know when and how much to water, as well as how dense the soil is (light) and the all important pH too.

Only 10-15 bucks at most?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Oh don’t worry you guys have handled all the guess work. I’ll just loosely follow advice gained here and in the handbook; my own apathy and history of bumbling into good fortune will likely do the rest

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Drainage is definitely key. I do a lot of soil recycling and after awhile, the microorganisms break down the soil particulates and they become quite fine and lose permeability. Great for holding moisture but not so great for drainage. So I've learned to cycle in fresh soil like promix every other run (although I wish I could use 100% recycle). I am going to try some pumice to see if I can reuse a greater proportion.

Regarding automated watering. I have done a lot of drip irrigation for fruit trees and other landscape plants. Never have done it for my ganja crop. I did try using some DIY Sub Irrigated Planters (SIP) and they worked well in our dry season but plants got too soggy during rainy season.

I really want to try the Blumat system: https://www.blumat.com/en/classic/uber-classic

And Iceman, that hoophouse is sweet. I really need to get one built which would help moderate the intense sun and heat during our summer months and also keep the rain off once we hit rainy season in September.

I just started a bunch of sativas from these guys: https://wbseeds.com/

Should be interesting to see the results, this is a good time of year in the Caribbean for sativas, at least at my elevation. Those more indica dominant chemvars seem to prefer slightly cooler temps to get the tight nugs and colors.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Ok all of you ganja farmers, I need some help.....
What do you think this is. My sprouts are small but growing fast. I left town for the weekend but my wife kept them on the 'weaning to the outdoors' program they are on so everything should be ok but in 3 days one of them has developed a bunch of leaf spotting, has yellowed and it's growth has stopped while the others have kept going.
Is this leaf septoria? Or is is a nutrient deficiency (or burn)? I am watering them every few days, enough to get their soil pretty wet but they have great drainage. I watered on Thursday before I left and again just now and I recently started them on a really small amount of a general nutrient that I have used with much success in the past few seasons. I have never seen this before, especially in such a young plant. If it is septoria, is the solution to spray it with a fungicide?

IMG_1612.jpg

Most of the others look good:

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

The little one in the corner is a bit younger than the others.

I do see this one looks like it might also be infected, just not as far along:IMG_1615.jpg

What would you do here? Dump the infected plant? Try to salvage? Fungicide?

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Boil orange peels,
Drain peels,
Voila.
How did you discover this method? Do you always spray your outdoor plants with boiled orange peel water? For many years, when I grow outdoors my buds get attacked by corn earworm caterpillars. I was thinking of "Bonide Captain Jack's Insect Soap" spray 32 oz for about $15. The moths show up AFTER flowering begins because they are looking for flowers to lay their eggs on. How long do you boil the orange peels? I want to try your method.

"Insecticidal Super Soap controls species of adelgid, ant, aphid, borer, caterpillar, spider mite, cricket, chinch bug, weevil, fly, thrip, & more."
Amazon.com: Bonide Captain Jack's Insecticidal Super Soap, 32 oz Ready-to-Use Spray For Organic Gardening and Outdoor Plants : Patio, Lawn & Garden

BTW I was successful at extracting the oil from about 3 oz of my buds using alcohol then I heated it in the oven at 230F for 30 minutes. I have 3 syringes, 20 ml each, for a total of 60 mI of the oil to experiment with. I tried a big drop which I put inside a gel capsule. I didn't feel the effects, so tomorrow I will try a larger drop of oil.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Self experimentation is how I discovered it, figured using citric rinds would provide the desired effect... tried it, it worked. Been using it for decades.

Hated the thought of spraying soaps or other pesticides on something I planned to smoke personally.

Voila.

• Love
Reactions: Aquaman2 and Subway

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Ok all of you ganja farmers, I need some help.....
What do you think this is. My sprouts are small but growing fast. I left town for the weekend but my wife kept them on the 'weaning to the outdoors' program they are on so everything should be ok but in 3 days one of them has developed a bunch of leaf spotting, has yellowed and it's growth has stopped while the others have kept going.
Is this leaf septoria? Or is is a nutrient deficiency (or burn)? I am watering them every few days, enough to get their soil pretty wet but they have great drainage. I watered on Thursday before I left and again just now and I recently started them on a really small amount of a general nutrient that I have used with much success in the past few seasons. I have never seen this before, especially in such a young plant. If it is septoria, is the solution to spray it with a fungicide?

View attachment 154746

Most of the others look good:

View attachment 154747

View attachment 154748

The little one in the corner is a bit younger than the others.

I do see this one looks like it might also be infected, just not as far along:View attachment 154752

What would you do here? Dump the infected plant? Try to salvage? Fungicide?

Thanks!
Really not sure, but you can always wipe down with light soap and water, and then water to see if that helps...I use dawn

Reactions: bruhdakine

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Self experimentation is how I discovered it, figured using citric rinds would provide the desired effect... tried it, it worked. Been using it for decades.

Hated the thought of spraying soaps or other pesticides on something I planned to smoke personally.

Voila.
You found it! I found this searching "citrus as pesticide" Thanks a lot!

"Citrus fruits contain ingredients that kill or repel pests. Since the ingredients form naturally in the fruit, citrus peels are safe for use as insecticides. Many companies make flea shampoos, medications and insecticides for gardens using the ingredients in citrus fruit. Make a homemade spray, cleaner or compost to rid pets, homes and gardens of pests without using harsh or dangerous chemicals. Citrus fruit repels ants, fleas, fungus, gnats, aphids and other pests."

"Citrus fruits contain limonene, found in the rind. Oil extracted from the peels contains the limonene, making it the main component in citrus oils. Limonene is a natural insect repellent. Citrus peels contain the extra pest killer linalool, also obtained by extracting oil from the rind. Pests hate limonene and linalool and will avoid areas treated with them. While it may not kill adult fleas, limonene does paralyze them. A good washing will destroy the unsuspecting fleas."
Citrus Fruit Peels as an Insecticide | ehow

How do you get a citrus oil to mix with water?

Oh, I just read further and found this:

"Make an insect spray by steeping the peels from one orange in 2 cups of boiling water for at least 24 hours. Pour the liquid into a squirt bottle and go after those pests."

Do you need to keep heating the water to the boiling point for 24 hours? Or just heat it to boiling and leave it to cool for 24 hours?

When the plants begin to flower, just spray them down with citrus water every evening. I think I heard the corn earworm moth lays its' eggs on corn or cannabis at night.

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
"Corn earworm (Helicoverpa zea) adults are nocturnal and hide in vegetation during the day."
Helicoverpa zea - Wikipedia

For this reason, I would thoroughly soak all my buds with boiled orange peel water every evening, at sunset, until harvest. I will report back here how it works in a few months.

Enjoy the taste!
If you want to go product based there's this stuff...

Green Cleaner for Cannabis

Just in case the problem is already worse than natural solutions can handle.

The orange peel spray is better as a preventative, than as a problom solver.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Aquaman2

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Viral infection

An infectious pathogen inside California’s pot farms is attacking cannabis plants and growing invisibly for months only to spoil a crop just as a farmer is ready to harvest. Scientists believe that it’s in nearly every pot farm in the state and could be causing billions of dollars in damages to the national weed economy.

Hop-latent viroid, or HLVd, shrivels pot plants and reduce how much weight they produce by as much as 30%. It also destroys the amount of THC, pot’s most common active compound, that a plant produces, greatly reducing the value of affected plants.

HLVd was first identified at a California pot farm in 2019, and it’s now infected at least 90% of California’s cannabis grows, according to a 2021 estimate. It’s spreading globally, and a recent scientific paper declared the pathogen was the “biggest concern for cannabis” growers worldwide.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: PRCD and Aquaman2