Deepest Reaches "Pizza Box"

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Casa- I've ridden a lot of minisims and variants, and Mitsven's quad minisim is my favorite. It is what you described: not quite as loose as twin, but still loose, skatey, and a blast in soft waves. You're welcome to try my 5'9 when you're down in So County. Bob could not be an easier shaper to work with and he'd be able to dial in whatever feel you were looking for.

The JT Coffin just looks like a GMM2 ripoff, and it seemed like you talked yourself out of one a while ago. If you want a more HP minisim variant, can't beat a GMM2.

Reactions: jkb

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
You see the irony, right?
I've explained the concept many times here

Easy to imagine how it feels and works with those explanations using your own surfing experiences

Smaller side fins with matching center fin making it easier to get on rail = not fighting the huge side fin needed for this wide tail aka not riding flat - more shortboard like

Really smooth transitions doing everything not having that big gap between fins

Reactions: Chocki and waxfoot

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Had a couple GMM2 and the Coffin Jamby has. Liked the Coffin much better. Isnt everything at this point a rip off of something else to some extent

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
sure.
I'm definitely biased as I've found the GMM2 to be just about the perfect grovel board for the conditions I ride it in. Just my preference. To each their own.
I'd also imagine a Hydrodynamica (either direct for a PU or through XTR) is probably $200-500 cheaper than CF. And I got nothing against JT and hope his DartArts label does well; I'll get a board from them at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and MrSteve

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I've explained the concept many times here

Easy to imagine how it feels and works with those explanations using your own surfing experiences

Smaller side fins with matching center fin making it easier to get on rail = not fighting the huge side fin needed for this wide tail aka not riding flat - more shortboard like

Really smooth transitions doing everything not having that big gap between fins
To my untrained eye, the board you linked doesn't look like a mini simmons so I'm struggling to understand the context of the image and and how the tri-fin / placement relates to the mini simmons design?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I see the GMM2 likeness for sure. It’s interesting they are making it as a dedicated quad. It seems like the GMM2 is pretty universally liked as a thruster. Mine is a five fin and I’ve given up on quads with it.

Reactions: jkb

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Reactions: waxurDyl
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
I have two coffins now, a 4'11 and a 5'4. Almost got rid of the 5'4 because I thought it was too big for me. I gave it a go in some better surf, and I am glad I did. I think I like it better than the 4'11. It went rail to rail and generated speed quite well, responsive...I was not expecting that from a boar with so much volume. Confirms to me that volume doesn't mean **** sometimes.

Reactions: oeste858

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I have two coffins now, a 4'11 and a 5'4. Almost got rid of the 5'4 because I thought it was too big for me. I gave it a go in some better surf, and I am glad I did. I think I like it better than the 4'11. It went rail to rail and generated speed quite well, responsive...I was not expecting that from a boar with so much volume. Confirms to me that volume doesn't mean **** sometimes.
4'11", wtf? How tall are you?

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Reactions: MathDebater