Deepest Reaches "Pizza Box"

Feb 22, 2019
SB
He makes great boards but the laminating jobs aren’t the best. If you do get a board from Kyle I’d have it glassed somewhere you know does quality work (I don’t know who does his).

Other than Kyle, I’d go straight to the source and order one from Richard Kenvin aka Hydrodynamica.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
He makes great boards but the laminating jobs aren’t the best. If you do get a board from Kyle I’d have it glassed somewhere you know does quality work (I don’t know who does his).

Other than Kyle, I’d go straight to the source and order one from Richard Kenvin aka Hydrodynamica.
Maybe one from XTR? Crazy amount of volume in those dimensions.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How bout the Xanadu Xbox?

I've tried a few quads and not really a fan...I wonder how this translates into something simmons-ish? i.e. quad vs twin

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
If you like thrusters, get a mini simmons thruster.

No sense in settling for a quad if you haven't clicked with them.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If you like thrusters, get a mini simmons thruster.

No sense in settling for a quad if you haven't clicked with them.
I love the slippery feeling of the twin fin mini simmons...

Is that lost with the quad?

I don't know why I can click with twins but not quads.

Loved the Ocean Racer, one of the best boards ever...

Reactions: redrider and Jamby

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

I see.

I only have a little experience riding my mini-sim as a quad. It wasn't slippery at all. Much preferred it as a thruster.

I feel like a quad set-up would make them more hp, but if you go that route you might as well just go thruster since you don't like quads. But it sounds like that's not what you're looking for......

What about twinzer?

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere

Never rode a twin mini simmons, but have a few twin and quad fishes. Definitely prefer the ride of the twin keel over the quads. I think the quad might allow a more aggressive approach, which is not what i'm looking for when riding a shape like that.
I have a simmons like board that is a quad, 4'10 Solid Bento Box.... I like it, but I'll probably order another as a twin keel soon.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I see.

I only have a little experience riding my mini-sim as a quad. It wasn't slippery at all. Much preferred it as a thruster.

I feel like a quad set-up would make them more hp, but if you go that route you might as well just go thruster since you don't like quads. But it sounds like that's not what you're looking for......

What about twinzer?
I have no experience with twinzers.

Not interested in thruster setups, part of the fun of the simmons Is the looseness while at the same time you get that particular way water grabs around one fin though a turn.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
checkit

http://instagr.am/p/B5lyt6rnb31/

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
checkit

I have one of those, second hand at 5'4 it's too big for me but I couldn't help it. Can't comment on the ride though as I only rode it once in some real crap. It's a quad though, and I don't even think a set of split keels would work in that board. Ironically FedEx should be dropping off a 5'2 Keel Fish to me, from Dark Arts, tomorrow. Hopefully it shows up unscathed.

Reactions: Aruka and jkb
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Album Symphony looks close to a true mini simmons. Probably have to go custom for twin keels though. Available in XTR also

1590543228037.png

Bing Puck looks okay too, but at that price, you might as well order another Ocean Racer.

Last edited:

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
I'm thinking of getting a mini simmons. Not sure who makes them here in Australia, but there are Ocean Racers available. I know there's some reviews here somewhere but I can't find them, how do they go? How do you work out sizing?