Dear Skeptics— Please tell us your preferred plan

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
If you are at risk from dying of a virus then by all means, stay home if you want.
Everybody's at risk of either dying, getting permanently damaged lungs or infecting/killing someone they love, know or work with.

But by all means go ahead and die if you think that will save the economy, leave the rest of us alone.

People who advocate this should voluntarily get infected.

You know, to become immune.

PS and why why so terrible with valid comparisons?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
‘I go run almost every morning. A very common scenario I run across goes Like this...

Ahead of me of me on the sidewalk someone will be walking a large dog. Often the dog will be as big or bigger than the person walking it (child or petite lady).

ive been attacked by dogs while running so this scenario is a possible threat to my safety.

Now, I have every right to use this sidewalk and so does the dog walker. So do I try to force the dog walker to refrain from walking the dog? do I lobby for dog/walker weight ratio regulations?

No, I cross the fucking street because that reduces my risk of being attacked.

If you are at risk from dying of a virus then by all means, stay home if you want.

Meanwhile, stop destroying lives, businesses, futures, dreams of others because of your own individual fears.
Honestly I can see both sides of this argument.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Everybody's at risk of either dying, getting permanently damaged lungs or infecting/killing someone they love, know or work with.

But by all means go ahead and die if you think that will save the economy, leave the rest of us alone.

People who advocate this should voluntarily get infected.

You know, to become immune.

PS and why why so terrible with valid comparisons?
I’m pretty sure I’ve already had it. Awaiting results....

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Society is much more likely to collapse from extended economic shutdown than even 1% of the population dying
i am afraid you may be right.

the herd immunity path may be "forced" as a default rather than an affirmative plan.

10s of thousands more will die under that approach and to be blunt it will be in part because far too many Americans do not have the recommended 3-6 months of savings and i'm not even saying it's their fault with stagnant wages and the Fed's QE punishing savers since 2009.

this credit fueled economic expansion since 2009 has now met the blackest of black swans.

Reactions: Ifallalot

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
It's fascinating that only people under say 45, want to take the 'herd immunity' path.

I wonder why that is?

Because they're better patriots?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017

the herd immunity path may be "forced" as a default rather than an affirmative plan.

10s of thousands more will die under that approach and to be blunt it will be in part because far too many Americans do not have the recommended 3-6 months of savings and i'm not even saying it's their fault with stagnant wages and the Fed's QE punishing savers since 2009.

this credit fueled economic expansion since 2009 has now met the blackest of black swans.
It’s interesting that some people want to claim that this chance virus event is the fault of people who are in compromised health and they should bear the consequences of their poor lifestyle choices (or poor choice of parents)

but

the people who are in a compromised economic situation should be let off the hook for this chance event

how come the same logic isn’t applied in the economic context?

isn’t it kind of your fault if you can’t take the economic hit?

why does this logic only work against the health cripples?

Reactions: afoaf and FecalFace

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Herd...

Mar 17, 2019
TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

HE IS A HERO. HE'S SAVING LIVES.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It’s interesting that some people want to claim that this chance virus event is the fault of people who are in compromised health and they should bear the consequences of their poor lifestyle choices (or poor choice of parents)

but

the people who are in a compromised economic situation should be let off the hook for this chance event

how come the same logic isn’t applied in the economic context?

isn’t it kind of your fault if you can’t take the economic hit?

why does this logic only work against the health cripples?
Um, I’m am personally friends with with owners of successful businesses that will be dead flat broke by next month. Cash flow...

Hourly wage earners are toast.

EVERYONE is in a compromised economic situation in the attempt to extend the lives of a fraction of a percent of the population.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Um, I’m am personally friends with with owners of successful businesses that will be dead flat broke by next month. Cash flow...

Hourly wage earners are toast.

EVERYONE is in a compromised economic situation in the attempt to extend the lives of a fraction of a percent of the population.
maybe they should have had money in savings for such a possibility

look, I actually don’t think this is reasonable but it’s equally unreasonable to expect the entire burden of this chance event to fall on the health compromised, as many here seem to want