Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yes all the way from kindergarten until I got to Stern…, and I’ve now spent 15 years of my adult life in a corporation much the same. but in #saleslife it is WAY more fun (and lucrative sorry AFOAF) to be the smart guy in the room. Was pretty frustrating as a student, I was resented by many of my outright losers presumably called teachers, but in the work world, big brains with decent work ethics get rewarded and generally left alone by management
The education system needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom.

Reactions: Subway

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Boredom with regular classes and the ability to achieve more.

Have you ever been in a class where 75% of the students are light years behind you?

So fvckin irritating.
I was bored in school no matter what
Other than math I just didn’t give a f*ck

Junior year was first year in public school. Everything was way easier
I had math right after lunch
So I was usually pretty high for math. That made it more challenging

I didn’t understand overachievers in high school. I guess I still dont

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What motivates high school kids to make school more challenging?
as an adult , I like to be challenged
in high school, I wasn’t interested enough in anything I was doing to want to make it more difficult
i was a slacker
my kids were slackers, and I understood it

what makes kids actually want to work harder in high school?
The non-honors classes often wind up being a dysfunctional daycare, not an actual instructional environment. Maybe some places with lots of first-gen kids with gnarly immigrant parents, the kid's English is so-so because it's a second language but the kid is a diligent student and so the classroom's potential isn't sabotaged.

I slacked some but I did it in honors classes. I figured honors/AP was enough for comfortable existence if I picked an in-demand field. I know lots of kids can't see past what they're doing after school/that weekend but I was taught early on by my parents that life is a sh!t sandwich and the more bread you have, the less sh!t you taste. I could give a fuck about national merit honor whatever but waking up at 5:30 to drive a cement mixer looked like it sucked ass comparatively speaking.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was bored in school no matter what
Other than math I just didn’t give a f*ck

Junior year was first year in public school. Everything was way easier
I had math right after lunch
So I was usually pretty high for math. That made it more challenging

I didn’t understand overachievers in high school. I guess I still dont
Who is talking about overachieving?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
In my world ap was for over achievers

In the catholic school I went to didn’t offer ap. It was a very good school where many went on to top tier colleges. Everything was advanced

The public school I went to junior and senior years was a good school. Ap was for overachievers

I was going through some legit f’d up sh*t my last 3 years in high school with more responsibilities than most. Maybe without that I would’ve been different
Who knows

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In my world ap was for over achievers

In the catholic school I went to didn’t offer ap. It was a very good school where many went on to top tier colleges. Everything was advanced

The public school I went to junior and senior years was a good school. Ap was for overachievers

I was going through some legit f’d up sh*t my last 3 years in high school with more responsibilities than most. Maybe without that I would’ve been different
Who knows
I just don't get the "overachieving" thing.

If you can do more with your skills you usually do it.

Whether it's school or surfing.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Who is talking about overachieving?
AP classes are achieving at the student's level of ability for a smart student. However, in my experience, you're better off taking these classes at the local JC where you get real transferrable credit and aren't studying for an AP test at the tend of your junior/senior year. This, of course, means that smart HS students can/should be spending more and more of their life at the local JC. This is also true of middling students who want to learn a trade. I'm taking auto repair at my local JC and one of the kids told me he hated HS but looks fwd to coming to trade school. I told him it was the best deal around.

This begs the question, "What is high school for if not the motivated students?" See my "CA's juvenile day prisons" thread.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I just don't get the "overachieving" thing.

If you can do more with your skills you usually do it.

Whether it's school or surfing.
Do more homework?
i figured theres more homework in ap, no?
high schoolers wanting to do more homework?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
AP classes are achieving at the student's level of ability for a smart student. However, in my experience, you're better off taking these classes at the local JC where you get real transferrable credit and aren't studying for an AP test at the tend of your junior/senior year. This, of course, means that smart HS students can/should be spending more and more of their life at the local JC. This is also true of middling students who want to learn a trade. I'm taking auto repair at my local JC and one of the kids told me he hated HS but looks fwd to coming to trade school. I told him it was the best deal around.

This begs the question, "What is high school for if not the motivated students?" See my "CA's juvenile day prisons" thread.
High school is for more than just the motivated student
i needed high school
doesnt mean I wanted to work hard at it

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
High school is for more than just the motivated student
i needed high school
doesnt mean I wanted to work hard at it
Yeah but if you can get a teacher and a full classroom for an Honors/AP English class that's an outstanding reason to have one.

We didn't really have Latin American students in Vero Beach in the late 90s but we had African American students, and although they were under-represented in Honors/AP classes, I don't see how removing that option for those students of color that were in those classes would do anyone any favors. Those kids could read the writing on the wall better than anyone, and it was a growth opportunity for a subset of white kids whose parents told them black people can't swim or do long division to see those students apply themselves alongside the school's brightest.

I'm also a little leery of where this takes us. A couple more balloons and any red state with an Asian enclave, are they going to cancel AP Calculus because Honky McCracker is a plurality instead of a majority?

I mean Governor Potatoface here is threatening to burn the whole thing down because it plays well with the dip-addled base he needs to win the primary, all because one class they'll practically offer in like half a dozen massive inner-city high schools that actually have the student base and the interest hurts his fee fees and the people in charge didn't lick his ballsack and say thank you Sir, may I have another when he Karen-cancelled the one course.

Is this school in LA shorting five to ten kids, or are there classroom(s) of kids who want these classes and some admin is pulling a Democrat DeSantis for LA/CA politics?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Let me be clear, I’m not saying the ap classes or honors classes shouldn’t exist.
They should

I was just commenting on all the posts where you all were saying you needed to be challenged

Idk, maybe you all went to real sh*t schools

Reactions: tacos and wedge2

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I was in GATE (does that still exist?) from grade 5-12. We definitely did things other classes didn't get to do. I was not bored and it prepared me for college better than regular classes I'm sure. You could not slack in the classes I was in.

Reactions: ghostshaper

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
And privatizing the public school system is not the way - like some would like you to think...fck Betsy Devos
Hm. Well parents with smart kids now have to earn extra money to put their kids in private school, but CA has a progressive income tax. How can parents start getting a return on their tax money for education?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Unless there's like 10 kids in Honors English and the district is cash-strapped beyond all recognition, this is grounds for summary execution.
If your kids go to public school in LA County they are going to start life way behind and be completely unprepared. Culver City also happens to have parents picketing in front of their schools demanding that the schools do something about the violence on campus. There's no consequences for anything because "equity". LA County schools, except for a few suburban campuses are like prison yards now. You better cliq up or you're a target.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Yes all the way from kindergarten until I got to Stern…, and I’ve now spent 15 years of my adult life in a corporation much the same. but in #saleslife it is WAY more fun (and lucrative sorry AFOAF) to be the smart guy in the room. Was pretty frustrating as a student, I was resented by many of my outright losers presumably called teachers, but in the work world, big brains with decent work ethics get rewarded and generally left alone by management
I spent my late 20's through my 30's chasing degrees thinking that was the key that unlocked corporate America. Then I got a sales job and never looked back.

When I hire sales guys for my company a degree puts you towards the bottom of the list. It's not a disqualifier but it doesn't help. I'm looking exclusively for people 22-26 who have seen some degree of success without a formal education or a leg up due to family or what not. This gives guys without formal education a leg up on the experience side.

Reactions: grapedrink