Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
in New York, state schools don’t have the prestige that California state schools have, but they’re affordable for many, even if it means taking out loans
average students get accepted to average SUNY schools
graduates from average SUNY schools are able to get hired, even if they don’t have a 4.0

does California not have a reasonably affordable path for the average person, or even the below average?
Ca State schools have prestige?

Yes, there is a reasonable path but lots of people don't take it.

I already mentioned it 3 times so I sound like a retard mentioning it again.'

But staying at home, going to the local CC and State college is very affordable.

I also said, teachers will help students who are going for it.

I'm so addled with learning disabilities, but my teachers saw me going for it, tapping into my retard strength.

One of my mentors got me my job at cal state.

I laid the ground work for that as a student. Which to me seems counter intuitive.

The difference between being average and outstanding is very small. You don't need to be super smart. You just need to try harder than everyone.

Weight lifting taught me how to do this.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
in New York, state schools don’t have the prestige that California state schools have, but they’re affordable for many, even if it means taking out loans
average students get accepted to average SUNY schools
graduates from average SUNY schools are able to get hired, even if they don’t have a 4.0

does California not have a reasonably affordable path for the average person, or even the below average?
It's been described in this thread a few times.

Community College that has an agreement with a CSU/UC -----> Admission to CSU/UC of choice

optional- apply for grad degree somewhere.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The difference between being average and outstanding is very small. You don't need to be super smart. You just need to try harder than everyone.

It's not even that you have to try harder than everyone. Typically, trying hard is enough to move the needle.

Reactions: Autoprax

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
comm college to university is easy and a guarantee into the school you want to go. I did my first two years at cc.

that being said. It’s super easy to fall into a trap at cc and not try or lose interest. There’s a lot of people at cc that will drag you down.

Reactions: hammies

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
so if you’re a slacker, and not looking to spend 50k or something like that per year, community college is the path

I get it when high school students are slackers
i thought most high school students are slackers
sounds like I’m pretty wrong

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Yea but don't you want your kids to not have to figure it out like you did?

A lot of people save their entire kids' lives to provide that experience for them and set them up for a good education.

If you start saving in a 529 the day they are born then you should have a massive amount saved for them.

There is something to say about setting them on a path where the only thing they need to focus on for 6 years is school. Get in, get a Bachelors and go straight to grad school and exit at 24 on a good trajectory.
How many kids actually focus?

If they're in a useful major and getting good grades then fine. But most of the ones I went to school with weren't and were just living it up while burning their parent's money.

I'll help my kids through school and ensure they have a way to pay tuition but it will not be an all expenses paid free ride to go party in the dorms. I expect them to take some fiscal responsibility for their own life.

Reactions: PRCD

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

If they're in a useful major and getting good grades then fine. But most of the ones I went to school with weren't and were just living it up while burning their parent's money.

I'll help my kids through school and ensure they have a way to pay tuition but it will not be an all expenses paid free ride to go party in the dorms. I expect them to take some fiscal responsibility for their own life.
Theres literally hundreds of thousands of kids going to college focused on their major and wanting to graduate and move into their chosen career field. Just cause some party and act like fools and fail out doesn't necessarily mean that all of the freshman are like that.

In fact- just go look at graduation rates for schools from freshman to completion in the better schools. Most of them are close to 90 percent with a high percentage of those going to graduate school.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

Our daughter really wanted to go off to college and worked really hard in HS to make it happen. We put a 1/3 of all the costs (tuition and room/board/etc) on her. She works hard and watches her money to pay most of it and then has taken a couple small student loans to cover the remainder. Seemed like a good compromise for us and her. She has 1 year left.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Our daughter really wanted to go off to college and worked really hard in HS to make it happen. We put a 1/3 of all the costs (tuition and room/board/etc) on her. She works hard and watches her money to pay most of it and then has taken a couple small student loans to cover the remainder. Seemed like a good compromise for us and her. She has 1 year left.
That is my plan too. I do want to help them but I also think there is value in learning cost-benefit of where you attend school and the importance of managing your debt responsibly.

Reactions: rice

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
It’s official, UofArizona it is.

They offered her $14k a year in merit scholarship which bring them in line with most UC’s. UofA will be $30k while the UC’s are roughly $28k a year. Six hour drive home, way cheaper rent down the line, frozen tuition, even found a roommate in her major for the dorms from SF this past weekend while visiting for an admitted student tour.

Glad this whole process is over, it was more stressful for me than her.

She did get into U of Oregon, Penn State Univeristy Park, Trinity, Santa Clara, LMU, Michigan, and San Francisco State. She was able to apply to SFSU late after being denied to SLO. SFSU was a close second but they don’t offer the major she is interested in. She loved the campus at UofOregon but that would have been $50k a year. The schools above would have been between $40k to $65k a year.

My take, the CSU system needs a huge overhaul and Community Colleges need dorms pronto. Yes, CC is currently free, but rent in CA is insane plus your looking at one year leases. Then furniture, internet, utilities, then some random roommate. That’s a lot for a 17/18 year old to deal with or family with limited excess income. They need out of the nest, especially for the parents sanity. Also, SFSU should be on everyone’s radar, not sure why that one was overlooked from the getgo.
Congrats on the decision. I know a bunch of young women who fairly recently graduated from Arizona and they seemed to love it, and all are currently gainfully employed. She'll kill it there. Your idea of dorms at Community Colleges is coming to fruition. Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa is currently constructing on-campus dorms for students.

Reactions: SlicedFeet

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
they are still accepting applications for fall ‘22 but it’s for their liberal arts certificate program. Sounds like it’s designed for gap year student and a way to chip away at Gen Ed classes under a liberal arts format. Kinda cool sounding and would be interesting to know if they allow dorm access.
View attachment 128695

She can save money at SFSU by living in her car on the street behind campus with a few hundred of her friends...

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
My oldest is in 10th. He doubled up in science this year (honors chem and CP physics) bc he has 2 APs, honors precalculus, etc. He hates his dumb dumb physics and wishes he took AP physics.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
What motivates high school kids to make school more challenging?
as an adult , I like to be challenged
in high school, I wasn’t interested enough in anything I was doing to want to make it more difficult
i was a slacker
my kids were slackers, and I understood it

what makes kids actually want to work harder in high school?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What motivates high school kids to make school more challenging?
as an adult , I like to be challenged
in high school, I wasn’t interested enough in anything I was doing to want to make it more difficult
i was a slacker
my kids were slackers, and I understood it

what makes kids actually want to work harder in high school?
Boredom with regular classes and the ability to achieve more.

Have you ever been in a class where 75% of the students are light years behind you?

So fvckin irritating.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Boredom with regular classes and the ability to achieve more.

Have you ever been in a class where 75% of the students are light years behind you?

So fvckin irritating.
Yes all the way from kindergarten until I got to Stern…, and I’ve now spent 15 years of my adult life in a corporation much the same. but in #saleslife it is WAY more fun (and lucrative sorry AFOAF) to be the smart guy in the room. Was pretty frustrating as a student, I was resented by many of my outright losers presumably called teachers, but in the work world, big brains with decent work ethics get rewarded and generally left alone by management