custom wait times?

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Anyone tried Roberts or Surf Rx turn around time lately? They both always have a fun looking menu, just never quite got to pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Aruka

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
So, after you flip em in a day or 2 he has an 8 week wait for glassing?????:oops::shaka:
lol.

I told you I wasn't the bottleneck. :dancing:

Which is kind of liberating.

"GWS!! I HAVE A SURFBOARD EMERGENCY!!!"

"noyoudon't."

You should start doing rush customs. 3 thousand dollars. Straight out the container.

"When you really, really REALLY need a surfboard made in 24 hours... call JHR."

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
LOL!! Could a glass job only fetch that rate? I mean, what IS the going rate for a rush glass job these days? Cause that could get me back in, lol
Any Takers?? Seriously….

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
It takes 3 weeks for my boards to be glassed
The machine I use is being repaired so there is a delay there which is being taken care of
Fin making takes a week adding to that

Blank availability is month to month , so there can be a delay there

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
It takes 3 weeks for my boards to be glassed
The machine I use is being repaired so there is a delay there which is being taken care of
Fin making takes a week adding to that

Blank availability is month to month , so there can be a delay there
Now that is a much more acceptable time frame!

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
AGREED.
If a large scale glass shop is pumping out 100 boards a week and has a 4-6 month back log on glassing, that is just crazy talk right there....

Even the small shops glassing 25 per week with a 2-4-6 month backlog is pretty crazy too!

To stop taking orders because you need to catch up, and your glassers need to catch up?
WOW, just WOW. This can't sustain itself. And like that Kazuma instagram post about shapers slowly starting to see a slowdown on orders. Well, shapers better start planning for that scenario too!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My buddy just got two M10's shaped up in around 8 weeks which was what he was given as a time frame. Fit and finish on them looks real nice to me.

Reactions: JBerry

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Took three months to get my Rawson. He had it shaped in under two weeks even with all the stock boards he makes for Real. Spent forever languishing at the glasser's. I was quoted 4-6 weeks by Pyzel, but didn't end up getting a board.

3-4 months from CC/Moonlight doesn't sound bad at all under the circumstances. I would have thought he'd be behind by a year or more at this point.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Do glassers actually accept receipt of the blanks or are the shapers sitting on the pile?

if these backlogs aren’t normal, where are the shaped blanks getting stored?

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
We give our glassers whatever they can handle in order to have a 10-14 day turnover max. So once your board is shaped we will 0nly send it to a glasser that is going to get it done, not have it sitting in line for weeks on end. Occasionally a board will get "missed" by them (without fail it will be the most complicated glassjob- resin tints, extra large guns, etc.) and it will linger in glassing limbo longer than expected, but that is the exception and not the rule. We keep our glassers happy by paying full-pop and on time, no matter that we are giving them the bulk of their work, and in return they take good care of us and get boards through as quickly as they can while still maintaining their high-quality workmanship.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
different but relevant.

friend got a text back from marc andreini after inquiring about ordering a couple boards.

turns out marc has his own solution to the deluge. after raising his prices 30% didnt stem the flow...

marc told him he had reached order capacity for 2021 and has stop taking new orders until...

January 2022

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
different but relevant.

friend got a text back from marc andreini after inquiring about ordering a couple boards.

turns out marc has his own solution to the deluge. after raising his prices 30% didnt stem the flow...

marc told him he had reached order capacity for 2021 and has stop taking new orders until...

January 2022
Realistically *earmuffs all you shapers*, shapers could raise prices 100%.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ok, I get that more people have free time to surf, but why is everybody willing to pay more now?
What is that catalyst? Are people making more money? More time so they can surf more and don't mind spending to surf more?
Seems weird, but I'm just as guilty.
Maybe too much time on the interwebs yolo'ing.

I went to pick up a local shaper board last weekend. It's a little 5'4 quad. Took it home and noticed it felt heavy. Weighed it and it was 7 pounds 5 ounces. Emailed shaper. He told me to bring it back. I did, he said yes it's heavy, do you want to remake it? I said nah I didn't want to wait another 4 months so I grabbed something from his stock in exchange and he also gave me a set of Akila Aipa fins to make up for it. Thought that was cool. He told me he could sell my heavy one easy.