custom wait times?

Nov 15, 2016
My XTR Album Ledge, with color, just arrived yesterday here on the east coast. Ordered 2/24/2021. 10 weeks and 2 days from order being placed to being delivered to my door. Beyond stoked on the finished product and got exactly what i wanted.

Will post pics and review once shes tested in a central america trip in 2 weeks

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
My recent R. order took 14 weeks to ship. They told me it was ready at 12 weeks and then took another two weeks to ship it which was a little annoying.

Fit/finish looks top notch though, no complaints there.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Has anybody tried find a way automate glassing like shaping machines?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
My XTR Album Ledge, with color, just arrived yesterday here on the east coast. Ordered 2/24/2021. 10 weeks and 2 days from order being placed to being delivered to my door. Beyond stoked on the finished product and got exactly what i wanted.

Will post pics and review once shes tested in a central america trip in 2 weeks
Dude! Pics or it didn't happen!

edit: 2 weeks?

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Ordered Jan. 1 and picked it up April 15.

It was shaped and at the glass shop within 2 weeks.
I did my part, but as has been noted, the bottleneck is glassing. At this point I believe Malcolm is not accepting new orders via his website. It's to the point where he had to shut the door to try and deal with existing orders. I believe you can still order customs at VSS. I probably shouldn't even let that little workaround out of the bag. We're desperately trying to take care of the shops with partial fills. East coast demand is coming up for summer and that season has an expiration date. I'm thinking you are probably too late to order summer customs though. From anyone. Rumor has it one of our larger west coast manufactures has a lineup of customs that would ordinarily be a year and a half worth of production time. I don't even understand this anymore. Is this the new normal? How is this even sustainable? My son has people begging him to sand. Another shaper has him scrubbing. He's helping me with the cutting.

Frankly what needs to happen is the cost of glassing/surfboards needs to go way up. As the prices sit, IMHO, if you run the numbers, starting a glass shop makes no economic sense. There is very little incentive to fill the demand because the compensation is so low. The whole relationship between supply and demand hits some kind of weird bubble when it meets surfboards.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Frankly what needs to happen is the cost of glassing/surfboards needs to go way up. As the prices sit, IMHO, if you run the numbers, starting a glass shop makes no economic sense. There is very little incentive to fill the demand because the compensation is so low. The whole relationship between supply and demand hits some kind of weird bubble when it meets surfboards.
True.

Yes, raise prices, please.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Have you ever asked Burch for an EPS/carbon fiber rail board?
We talked about it briefly when he showed me the boards from the Desert Point sesh. But poly/PU just feels so good & pure, and it’s especially noticeable with his boards, probably bc they are unlike anything else in my quiver. And not only does Alex’s laminations look insane, he does something(he won’t share what it is) to them that makes them VERY strong. Ryan’s shapes are so unique, but also perfectly balanced, weighted and predictable in the traditional construction. Plus I usually only ride them in good conditions and nothing feels better than Poly/PU in good clean waves. Bottom line, I personally wouldn’t want one in EPS/carbon

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and kane

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
He always does!! He's the MAN! @i_shapes :shaka:

For Reals though, want a board glassed? Why not go underground? You may get a ballhair, chest fur, burn through, crooked fin box, chrystallization, bugs, etc. but you probably won't wait 6 months or longer....that's just ridonculous!

If someone were to order a shaped blank only, and took it to a glasser, what would they pay for a glass job only? Do people even do that anymore? Do shapers even let their boards goto just anyone?
What's a fair price for glassing these days, pandemic induced, supply shortages included??
A pre-pandemic rush, a clear sand finish 6'4 with futures was about $200?-$250?
So, current rate should be at least a hundo above that?