Creepiest surf spots

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Just curious, What about duppies creeped you out? Sharks?

Other than the massive fcking spiders on the hike in that we had to walk under it felt pretty mellow. Although I don’t get spooked anywhere really in the Caribbean.
Dunno. Couple factors. Stories. Shadows. Paddle in when it’s big N.

A buddy who’s been going since early 80’s took me there in 98/99 and didn’t share much. Solid swell. Low tide. Had fun but vibed the whole time. Paddled in. He asked what I thought. I shared. He’s never felt comfortable either. Surfed there many times and never feel comfortable.

another spot. Yin-yang in Maldives.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Salmon.
Wadell Reefs
Davenport
You forgot Greyhound Rock (which is probably the worst "surf spot" of the four).

HatterasGlass said:
Agreed. Surfed / stayed in and around the Port Arthur area for a few weeks and it felt like something out of a Jules Verne novel. Except with the heaviness of a hardcore remote prison and the massacre that took place, ironically, 20 years ago today.

I walked solo from the hotel to the historical site one night at sunset and got caught by nightfall.
Walked back about a mile in the dark - no flashlight - through the woods and along the shore across from the Isle of the Dead.

I was fully stoked and spooked. Van Diemen's land is awesome.
What did you think of the rest of Tasmania?

Reactions: rice and keenfish

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
I worked out at Point Reyes and surfed north beach on occasion. Always seemed to be too much
water, even at the lower tides. I took my friend out there who hadn't surfed for a while. I came in
and watched him from the beach as he noodle armed it for a about 40 yards until he reached the sand.
It kept going through my mind that a big one was going to nail him right in front of me. That whole
area sticks way out into the ocean and during winter would just get hammered by weather and giant
surf. During storms when the wind would be strong out of the south it would be offshore. Never
saw anyone ride it at size although it was clean and big enough to tow.

Reactions: Mr Doof

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The tiny beach in the Bahamas pictured below shown on a flat calm day. The entrance is a set of stairs chizzled into the rocks where that gap is on the far end of the beach. At high tide with a swell there is no beach. Overhead waves, gin clear water, jagged cliffs. This little spit of sand is your only entrance and exit. Beyond that its jagged cliffs in both directions for quite a way. When I was there there was nobody to surf with and I paddled out anyway. Very Very lonely and very very sharky. Also got engaged to my wife on this beach so in hindsight.....

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Boca de Apiza
Definitely.

Somebody mentioned Tunnels too. The first time I surfed Cannons I was on a roofing crew on Kauai after Iniki, staying with my friend in Anahola. We picked mushrooms and ate them and went to surf Cannons and it was massive. I was having one of the best surfs of my life until I wasn't. Got sucked over the falls and pinned to the reef and dragged along the sharp coral heads. Lost over 50% of the skin on my back, deep gouges, a couple of them to the meat. And I was tripping balls. I couldn't find the keyhole to crawl back over the reef so I paddled all the way back to Tunnels beach with blood pouring off my back making these big red puddles and I was totally sure I was going to get eaten. Washed off at the beach park and waited three hours until my friend came in with some hippy chick who wouldn't fucking leave me alone. Bad trip. My friend's mom scrubbed my back and bandaged it up and I had to go back to work on Monday morning, ROOFING HOUSES.

Last edited:

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
A few spots surfing solo in New Zealand had me spooked. If I remember correctly it was around Dunedin and Christchurch, I just couldn't get the thought out of my head especially since I was the only surfer in the water for days.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I surf a river jetty that is notorious for GWS sightings and has had at least one attack although it was a long time ago. I know one of the Coast Guard guys who regularly flies over in the helicopter. He says they see the big ones off the tip of the jetty pretty often. The wave can also be super heavy and it's hard to judge the size from shore. I've had a number of terrifying and/or creepy experiences out there but there was one time in particular when I surfed it alone in the fog that really stands out. The waves were firing but the fog was so thick that you couldn't see unless you walked out on the jetty. I didn't want to surf alone but I felt like I had to go for it. I've never enjoyed overhead, empty rights less. It was so fuggin creepy and I never really settled into it. Just felt like I was about to get chomped at any second.

There was also a spot in South Africa near Cape St. Francis. A J-Bay local took myself and my buddy to hunt around for some waves on a small day. We pulled up to this little peak and there was some fun looking waist high waves peeling through with no one out so I just suited up and ran out there. I got a few waves and then the ocean went really calm and I was sitting out there, wondering why the other guys weren't coming out. The spot was like a mix of sand and reef and I was looking down when what I thought was a section of reef started moving towards me. A little wave was coming so I spun and paddled for it. The hair was standing up on the back of my neck and I felt super creeped out as I exited the water. I walked up to the parking area and I ask the local guy if they were coming out. Oh no, he says, I don't surf here anymore bru. Last time I did my buddy got bit by a shark. I was like what the fuuuuu