Outer Pool, Mossel Bay, South Africa
Nahoon Reef, East London, South Africa

Sharky as all getup. Yikes!

Reactions: waxfoot

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
there's a very special spot on the central coast . . .

you've all heard the name.

dead sea lions on the beach . . .

turkey vultures on the sea lion carcasses add to the ambience!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Outer Pool, Mossel Bay, South Africa
Nahoon Reef, East London, South Africa

Sharky as all getup. Yikes!
Nahoon's fcking gnarly hey?

How's this for having a target painted on your back... Shannon Ainslie, the kid who at 15 was attacked by 2 great whites / hit at the same time at Nahoon reef, was nearly hit in the wild by Orcas in Norway

Reactions: Maz

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Waddell rights because of the boils
Willow when it’s big, sitting way the fuck outside and the fog rolls in
Where Bethany lost her arm. Always ready to roll up on dry reef
My local since the fatal attack
Capitola to Monterey. It’s lovely seeing sharks almost every time you surf.

Reactions: Leaverite

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I didn’t surf it but shipsterns bluff creeped me out from the beach.

Aussie pipe

again in Aus; hiked a ways to a slab/point a few times And camped there to wait on it to get good and never surfed. Creepy and both times I suited up, once At the beach break, there was a shark blowing up on bait. It was a long ways from any roads and never saw anyone else there. Nearly stepped on a blue ringed octopus looking for crabs in the tide pools.

beach break in Big Sur got spooked out by whitey.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Duppies in Barbados. Always been spooked at that place.

Leftovers in NS. Never been comfortable there.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Duppies in Barbados. Always been spooked at that place.

Leftovers in NS. Never been comfortable there.
Just curious, What about duppies creeped you out? Sharks?

Other than the massive fcking spiders on the hike in that we had to walk under it felt pretty mellow. Although I don’t get spooked anywhere really in the Caribbean.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
everything south of OBSD and North of Zuma

interesting how people are only talking about spots that are creepy in the water

what about the spots that are creepy on land....

walking from ogro's to the surf in the dark always gives me the heebie jeebies

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Foggy Peru is a little weird but there's so many people fishing with what appears to be dynamite it's a little hard to think anything is left alive.

Monster Hole back in the day. Nowadays it's always packed and only the paddle out feels weird to me. But back in the day, light crowd, if a few people caught waves when you were paddling back out, you could wind up out the back, nobody with 100 yards, the waves stop, and all you hear is the far off thump-thump of car tires going over the inlet bridge. Soooo quiet you can't help but get the Jaws vibe.

There's a reef or two between Fort Pierce and Palm Beach, kind of out the back, can be a bit spooky.

Any place with a pod on it from now through October if you're out alone. Recent incidents include a "secret" spot that's sharky to start with, and up the street right before Irma.

Went back to offshore New England in Summer '95. Dawn Patrol, the cooler green water, just felt fluffyish.

I've only ever seen Central California with postcard-perfect conditions and fun-sized surf. I'm sure with fog and DOH+ cleanups it would be very different.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
everything south of OBSD and North of Zuma

interesting how people are only talking about spots that are creepy in the water

what about the spots that are creepy on land....

I mentioned shipsterns being creepy from land. The sharks vibe, the nothing between you and Antarctica, the notoriety of that stretch of water and the immensity and dramatic tone of the coastline gives a feeling unlike anywhere else I’ve been.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Another bigtime fan of the light is coming over the Sierra Madre del Sur so you can see, but not light enough to wake up people who aren't using alarm clocks = gorge while it's empty program?

Last time in that zone there was a crew or two on the same program. Buzzkill. The only movement you can see other than waves is boards walking up the beach. FFFF. Had several other trips where I swear I was out for almost two hours before it got busier than I cared for.

I worry a little about scorpions walking around in that gloom but normally I'm sooooooo amped to get an actual setup alone vs randobeach slop I can hardly contain my glee.