Covid Skepticism

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
While I'm certainly not promoting recklessness, I'm not sure this bug warrants the hysteria. There doesn't seem to be a rational voice anywhere in leadership, and none of the docs I know are overly concerned that this presents an imminent threat to the population at large.

It's just not passing the smell test. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm a skeptic. Also effed up my surf trip, so I'm sour.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I will be looking here next flu season to see if the same users are telling others that it is irresponsible of them to be going outside when they could be spreading a virus that could be responsible for a person's death. I want to see the same @ssholes saying "it's frustrating to see people hugging outside my house!" When the same logic doesn't have the collective fear behind it, who's gonna hole up and hide from the next bug so they don't give it to grandma?

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
The flu, according to the CDC website, has infected 51,000,000 Americans and killed 22,000 since December. And that's with a vaccine. I'm guessing they could create a pretty scary and compelling narrative around that too . . .

Am I a moron? I keeping thinking there's some Chicken Little sh!t going on here. Or something sinister. Or that people are dumb.

Reactions: surfysurfy1476

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
My aunt, went to the ER this morning to get checked out since she had been feeling lightheaded, and there was barely anyone there. A couple of people wearing masks that's it, employees BS'ing. I almost joined on the BS.

News make it sound like it's a warzone in most medical facilities. This is the biggest media jerkoff in recent history.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
792 people died in Italy yesterday. 4800 total. That's like America having 5,000 die yesterday, 31,000 deaths total. We are 11 days behind Italy.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
"That's like"

How very scientific.

I'm sure your math checks out, because everything scales linearly.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
The virus itself and being sent to the hospital is very serious. Just like stage 4 cancer is serious.

The fear mongering and hype machine by the news outlets is the joke.

Spread awareness and information, do not incite fear.

Reactions: Woke AF

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I mean my father, who is in his 70s, a heavy smoker, has COPD, and a cancer patient, needs to stay the phuck in the house. As should anyone in the at-risk group. But he still has a very low chance of actually contracting it -- as one science bro put it: it's not like Covid 19 has wings.

Don't forget -- the boomers, the most susceptible group, are in charge.

Reactions: PRCD and Ifallalot

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
While I'm certainly not promoting recklessness, I'm not sure this bug warrants the hysteria. There doesn't seem to be a rational voice anywhere in leadership, and none of the docs I know are overly concerned that this presents an imminent threat to the population at large.

It's just not passing the smell test. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm a skeptic. Also effed up my surf trip, so I'm sour.
on one hand, i'm skeptical also. on the other, i'm living with a brasilera doc who specializes in infectious diseases and she is so certain that the threat is real, she self-quarantined a week ago. i would be foolish to give my own skepticism more weight than her medical opinion.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
are we just nuking ourselves in advance? it sounds like the flu (not symptom severity...but as far as how communicable it is)...if not worse. are any of us really able to escape the flu? or it is routinely just one of those things that's a coin toss with how we live? i mean...if we buy food...we are grabbing packages to have been hadnled...and been handled before that...and shipped....and left in warehouses with sweaty people and lax ventilation

Reactions: PRCD

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Skeptical Autodidactic is the name of my new band....

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Are 31k deaths worth nuking the economy?
Italy deaths on where that theoretical count came from is still climbing. Plus there is the permanent lung damage in some. Considering that the only effective way known to us right now is to nuke the economy via social distancing and self isolating I say yes its worth it. We don't have the vaccine yet. Particularly as we know the flu pandemic won't last forever and that economies have shown themselves to be capable of repairing themselves.

I am more optimistic of a speedy economical repair than say the GFC or the Asian crisis, because those situations were based on real economic imbalances.

I realise It is easy for me to say this, I am still employed right now. I do know what it is like to be unemployed though - it is not very nice.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
I'm with you Ranga.
Need to put Italy into context as far as the age of those who died and the average age of the population.
This whole thing just seems like a massive ponzi scheme for some reason.

I need context vs influenza and population / age of population, etc.
You're right - not passing the smell test.

Reactions: PRCD and Ifallalot

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Who’s getting the lung damage? Old people? That’s what I’m most scared of. My work is still going. Part of me is like fuck it I’m going in. The other side is is it worth risking??

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I mean my father, who is in his 70s, a heavy smoker, has COPD, and a cancer patient, needs to stay the phuck in the house. As should anyone in the at-risk group. But he still has a very low chance of actually contracting it -- as one science bro put it: it's not like Covid 19 has wings.

Don't forget -- the boomers, the most susceptible group, are in charge.
Uhhhh… boomers are not the most susceptible group.

By age that would "the greatest generation" at 80 plus years old. Too old to be boomers.

And I would rather be a healthy 50 some year old boomer than an obese diabetic millennial (the fattest generation ever at their age) with asthma. Not to mention being stupid as fvck.

Last edited: