Cardiff Van-Life

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1. So, you’re saying a sea plane from Vero municipal for surf trips, there just isn’t enough access to mysto spots within Round trip range for an average sea plane, nor places to refuel said plane? How about a plane the size the pirate looking at 80 flies around in landing at, and surfing, those islets reefs and cays? maybe he flies from the Bahamas them selves (much closer) and no customs issues? I feel like I could just contact their embassy and get permission or a visa to surf.

fantasy talk of course. I may take the occasional kick ass surf trip and live well but I’m no high roller. That kind of aerial scout and surf would cost many , many, thousands. way more than a Newport booze cruise anyway

2. the rest of your epic rant may have lost me
1. I mean I think it's an amazing idea, but maybe a charter to recon the spots on a swell, a trip to the zone to scout out zodiac/skiff rental/charter to access the spot(s), and then pull the trigger when it lines up again. If Jimmy does it and you have that on authority, schaweet then. But flying to Marsh and making your way to something a short zodiac/kayak where you can tie a cinderblock to a rope, kayak out, and surf, is probably hilariously more cost-effective, and avoid Elbow and a couple other places and I think you'll be sufficiently alone.

It's 125 miles from the airport in Vero to the airport in Walker's...if Walker's is open. That's roughly where you'd get started. That area has worn several very, very bad hurricanes about the face since 2004. When I first started going to Port Lucaya, the town square was hopping, town marina slap full, and the fancy marina/yacht club on the other side about half full. Now the fancy marina is derelict/foreclosed/who knows, and the square is dead, and that was like 2-3 hurricanes ago. Not being able to get enough fuel to make the crossing back can be "a thing". Sitting in the airport in Freeport until 2am Monday for a 7:30pm Sunday flight because the crew on the plane that flew out didn't feel like flying back so they finally, finally sent another plane from South Florida and we got back to Fort Lauderdale at 3 and had to get our sh!t and drive to work is "a thing"...that sucked a smelly, sandy one.

If you are going to contact the embassy and do some legwork right on. I'm just saying, they don't appreciate their rules/regs being disregarded by us and it's been happening for decades, so the welcome has been a bit worn out; all the slack cut.

2. I know it's normally closeout central around Vero but if you're in town for something with some North, period, and offshores, shoot me a PM. South and Fort Pierce aren't the only spots between Sebastian and Reef Road. They might not be unnamed islets and cays, but they're new to you, and there's more treasure (literal treasure) here and it wasn't sandbars the fleet got smashed on.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The Central pacific. This whole chain of islands that has not had any true recourse with the modern world since WWII.

Bougainville. OMG. how many US troops fought and died for the first foothold there. Life or Death for the whole island hopping project.

Guaranteed no airports. A jungle filled with the remnants of WWII. Maybe surf, who knows??? They are still caught in that moment of time from 70+ years ago.

A sail boat.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Having a flying boat. This is 1940 technology. There is absolutely no modern day source to go from.

It's a killer idea. The tech a startup company would need to go through to develop this product is insane.

Reactions: Buoy_maker

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Vero? It's blown/crossed up aka not closing out as bad as normal. Basically every beachbreak from Spaniel to Jensen should be working; I'd go to Inlet on this tide/wind/swell and probably stick to Indian River County later this afternoon when the tide fills in.

Thinking about waiting for the high tide up here in Jax Beach. Looks like it might be tough to track one down out the back right now.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I mean I’m in, in general. Currently in Dallas for annual Xmas with fam.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Last edited: