Cardiff Van-Life

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I worked on a 107' yacht straight out of college, back in '97. I was First Mate, pay was $2k/month and I had no expenses. Rental car covered, I lived on the boat, and all meals were covered. Pretty good gig. Ironically I just met a guy who captained the same vessel later on at my neighbor's bbq last summer. We traded some stories. The owner lived in Rancho Santa Fe and had 21 Ferraris that he and his buddies would fly to Europe to go drive around and play golf, etc. Dude was gracious and really a great person to work for. He would invite me to hang with him and his buddies when they were sitting on the back deck drinking wine and smoking cigars. Some yacht owners are miserable pricks, some are totally cool.... money doesn't make the person but it can amplify their character for better or worse.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
How much is the pay for such jobs? Do they get any benefits like good investment tips or usage of vacation homes? And how to find such a job? I assume some agency hire staff for wealthy people?
He banks 3K/month, which for a 25y/o mexikid is good money and does cave diving guiding in the Caribbean in the off season when the boat isn’t in the med. That kind of job is word of mouth.

FARTHAMMER

Nep status
Apr 19, 2009
View attachment 83638
My daughter’s brother in law works on this rig, he’s the dive guide. The owners are on it 3 weeks a year. Maybe another 3 weeks a year used for guests. The maintenance literally never stops.
View attachment 83638
My daughter’s brother in law works on this rig, he’s the dive guide. The owners are on it 3 weeks a year. Maybe another 3 weeks a year used for guests. The maintenance literally never stops.

I bet the ride bikes in the street with cars, I think rich people call it road biking!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
He banks 3K/month, which for a 25y/o mexikid is good money and does cave diving guiding in the Caribbean in the off season when the boat isn’t in the med. That kind of job is word of mouth.

this is J's bro? did I read that right?

I want to take chamacos to chichen itza and then hit some cenotes

hook a brother uppppppp!!!

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I can see maybe 100k for the base rig and a few hundred k for the upfitting but not really sure where the extra 1.2 million is coming from on price. Kind of a fuk you to anyone actually interested in buying one.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I saw one of these things at Overland Expo last year. It was quite capable and quite ridiculous. The fundamental issue I'd have with owning any overlander of this size (aside of course, from price) is, if you get stuck in the serious outback, well, what is going to come in and tow you out? With a Sportsmobile Sprinter/Econoline or a VW Syncro, you have a chance if someone comes by with a Jeep and a snatch rope. Not so much with a 20,000 pound + E450 with 100+ gallons of water onboard.

That rig looks offroad capable but in reality offroad means a graded, well maintained, wide dirt road. The most limiting factor is how top heavy it is. Any type of off camber slope and it will be upside down. Even basic 4X4 trucks and Jeeps suffer when they carry a lot of weight up high. Maybe in the Russian Steppes or Mongolia...

A big craze these days are all of the rooftop, pop up tents. Cool, but they are up to a couple of hundred extra pounds carried in the worst possible area to have it.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
That rig looks offroad capable but in reality offroad means a graded, well maintained, wide dirt road. The most limiting factor is how top heavy it is. Any type of off camber slope and it will be upside down. Even basic 4X4 trucks and Jeeps suffer when they carry a lot of weight up high. Maybe in the Russian Steppes or Mongolia...

A big craze these days are all of the rooftop, pop up tents. Cool, but they are up to a couple of hundred extra pounds carried in the worst possible area to have it.
I saw a BMW sedan with a rooftop tent on it in Encinitas the other day... it's amazing how fast that trend erupted around these parts. But hey, if people are getting outdoors and enjoying the sunshine and fresh air, good on them.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I saw a BMW sedan with a rooftop tent on it in Encinitas the other day... it's amazing how fast that trend erupted around these parts. But hey, if people are getting outdoors and enjoying the sunshine and fresh air, good on them.
If you use them. All of us go camping. You sleep in a tent and wake up with condensation all over the inside.

These rooftop tents. Easy up/Easy down. You pack that tent away without properly drying it. Three months later on your next road trip, you open it up to a spore factory.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
How much is the pay for such jobs? Do they get any benefits like good investment tips or usage of vacation homes? And how to find such a job? I assume some agency hire staff for wealthy people?
I'd imagine there's some job/staff placing that goes on for sure. But I don't know any agencies. A lot of it though - is word of mouth amongst the serfs who live in that world. Also - if you're able to start working for someone super rich, and you're very reliable, can deal with the occasional shitshow with a cool head and show yourself to be self-motivated and don't need a bunch of followup from the big boss, you're likely to end up employed for life. When I got the job working for a certain well known salty singer years back, he specifically told an editor friend of his who I'd written for (and who he'd written for too), that he wanted a college grad who knew websites, boats and surfing. I'd just quit working at Surfer and handed the website over to Bassy. So it was total word of mouth. That was some dang fun. That said, of all the rich people I met doing that work in that world, he was one of the few you'd actually want to work for.

1576771716554.png

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah he is cool as hell, and i want to do that- charter a sea plane during a big, well forecasted swell, and scour the north eastern Bahamas looking for perfect waves peeling off unamed islets and cays. How does a guy find a pilot to do that? my mom's freind in Vero is a pilot and we discussed this, but he doesn't own a seaplane

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
yeah he is cool as hell, and i want to do that- charter a sea plane during a big, well forecasted swell, and scour the north eastern Bahamas looking for perfect waves peeling off unamed islets and cays. How does a guy find a pilot to do that? my mom's freind in Vero is a pilot and we discussed this, but he doesn't own a seaplane
Why do you want to charter a sea plane and not use a normal plane? If the round trip range is close you could stop in Lantana or out West of Juno and refuel. West End is 120 from Fort Pierce and 60 from Lake Worth. Otherwise, refuel and clear in Abaco, and bam, you're where you need to be.

If it's about not clearing customs, I'd steer clear. Heading over to Matinilla to fish the corner with the radar on, and making a run for it if the Bahamians come because you didn't clear customs is one thing - your boat will be fast enough unless it only has a sail, but landing a sea plane out there without clearing customs...they're not going to think you're there to scout for surf spots, I promise you that.

My next follow-up question...what are you going to do once you find a spot? Even a place like Walker's or Grand which I'm not even sure if it's open, having both plane and boat fuel feels like hitting two 11s back to back.

You fly out there, you'll still need a boat, and someone willing to take it out and risk it in a swell.

You take a boat from Florida....
The crossing in any kind of Winter swell in any boat under a half million, unless you are shooting your wad on East groundswells from Cape Verde hurricanes maybe 2x/year, is going to have you beat to f-----g hell and back. Toe up from da flo' up. Any Northeast groundswell, and the Gulf Stream is going to be a rodeo and a half. sh!t stacks up and steepens up. Great for sailfishing, not great for anything not lashed down and stomachs not made of titanium that can contain industrial nuclear reactors. Plus the beating/fatigue.

Then you're there. What now? One serious wrong move, and you're bleeding out. If you just get a nick, enjoy paddling back to where your ride is anchored. You might even make it halfway before every Bull, Tiger, Lemon, etc. in the West Atlantic is ripping pieces off your ass.

I didn't torch all the gems because you weren't here for a groundswell with some North in it as I recall. They're enough for you old man!

What do you want?

The better version of Sandino that holds more people, with a wider tide window, has bigger faces and more consistent sets on a given swell, and is somehow less of a donkey fest in spite of having a surfline cam swiveling towards it every 15 seconds and being one of two spots that can hold anything above 12 seconds within the entire Orlando/Space Coast surfing population? The one out front of your prospective retirement pad? The most fickle urchin-bottomed spot on planet Earth? Glow-in the dark pseudo-Trestles with complimentary window/valuables removal? A grunty left where derelicts throw rocks at your car because it has more paint than rust and starts without hitting the starter with a stick and waving a dead chicken over the cylinder heads? A paddling treadmill with almost as many sharks as the Bahamas? A rifling left way out the back of the SUP rental joint?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Why do you want to charter a sea plane and not use a normal plane? If the round trip range is close you could stop in Lantana or out West of Juno and refuel. West End is 120 from Fort Pierce and 60 from Lake Worth. Otherwise, refuel and clear in Abaco, and bam, you're where you need to be.

If it's about not clearing customs, I'd steer clear. Heading over to Matinilla to fish the corner with the radar on, and making a run for it if the Bahamians come because you didn't clear customs is one thing - your boat will be fast enough unless it only has a sail, but landing a sea plane out there without clearing customs...they're not going to think you're there to scout for surf spots, I promise you that.

My next follow-up question...what are you going to do once you find a spot? Even a place like Walker's or Grand which I'm not even sure if it's open, having both plane and boat fuel feels like hitting two 11s back to back.

You fly out there, you'll still need a boat, and someone willing to take it out and risk it in a swell.

You take a boat from Florida....
The crossing in any kind of Winter swell in any boat under a half million, unless you are shooting your wad on East groundswells from Cape Verde hurricanes maybe 2x/year, is going to have you beat to f-----g hell and back. Toe up from da flo' up. Any Northeast groundswell, and the Gulf Stream is going to be a rodeo and a half. sh!t stacks up and steepens up. Great for sailfishing, not great for anything not lashed down and stomachs not made of titanium that can contain industrial nuclear reactors. Plus the beating/fatigue.

Then you're there. What now? One serious wrong move, and you're bleeding out. If you just get a nick, enjoy paddling back to where your ride is anchored. You might even make it halfway before every Bull, Tiger, Lemon, etc. in the West Atlantic is ripping pieces off your ass.

I didn't torch all the gems because you weren't here for a groundswell with some North in it as I recall. They're enough for you old man!

What do you want?

The better version of Sandino that holds more people, with a wider tide window, has bigger faces and more consistent sets on a given swell, and is somehow less of a donkey fest in spite of having a surfline cam swiveling towards it every 15 seconds and being one of two spots that can hold anything above 12 seconds within the entire Orlando/Space Coast surfing population? The one out front of your prospective retirement pad? The most fickle urchin-bottomed spot on planet Earth? Glow-in the dark pseudo-Trestles with complimentary window/valuables removal? A grunty left where derelicts throw rocks at your car because it has more paint than rust and starts without hitting the starter with a stick and waving a dead chicken over the cylinder heads? A paddling treadmill with almost as many sharks as the Bahamas? A rifling left way out the back of the SUP rental joint?
There you go Sub, just like Tavi!

May as well go to Baja.

5/7

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There you go Sub, just like Tavi!

May as well go to Baja.

5/7
Ha! Nothing like Tavi, but the airport is an easy spot to get to from anywhere in Vero, and lots of people take planes, but it's a tight call depending on load/aircraft, and a seaplane...without clearing customs...

Baja = certain death!

Actually if ol Subway gets a decent boat and makes a couple trips, pretty soon, he could just buy Tavarua. I heard someone down past Lazaro knows a guy who knows a guy...

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So, you’re saying a sea plane from Vero municipal for surf trips, there just isn’t enough access to mysto spots within Round trip range for an average sea plane, nor places to refuel said plane? How about a plane the size the pirate looking at 80 flies around in landing at, and surfing, those islets reefs and cays? maybe he flies from the Bahamas them selves (much closer) and no customs issues? I feel like I could just contact their embassy and get permission or a visa to surf.

fantasy talk of course. I may take the occasional kick ass surf trip and live well but I’m no high roller. That kind of aerial scout and surf would cost many , many, thousands. way more than a Newport booze cruise anyway

the rest of your epic rant may have lost me

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Can you land a seaplane when there is giant swell running? Or are you thinking of just scouting?

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Superyachts. I guess they would be cool if you have money to burn. The slip fees just to park one must run $20,000/month these days. Fuel if you are out at see probably runs $40,000/month. Plus crew salaries, routine maint and supplies.

A big, well equipped sailboat seems like a whole lot better choice to me.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Can you land a seaplane when there is giant swell running? Or are you thinking of just scouting?
Land in the lee of the cay, sheltered from both the trade wind and ground swell, walk or paddle to the lineup ? I have no clue really I have just heard from several different people that jimmy does it sometimes, that it is in fact a thing that a few lucky/rich/ and or intrepid surfers do

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Land in the lee of the cay, sheltered from both the trade wind and ground swell, walk or paddle to the lineup ? I have no clue really I have just heard from several different people that jimmy does it sometimes, that it is in fact a thing that a few lucky/rich/ and or intrepid surfers do
1576896970874.png

One of those Catalina flying boats could do it. Wasn't there actually one specifically built for surf trips???