Car shopping

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
With the seats folded the cargo area on a standard Prius is cavernous and the reliability is off the grid.
It's hard to overstate this. I took the back seats out of my Prius v and built a camper platform, and I can sleep in in comfortably and completely stretched out. I'm 6'4". I've hauled bundles of 10' EMT tubing or 10' 2x4s inside the car. They will also drive just about anywhere. Some of the NorCal farm labor contractors I know use Priuses for doing work in the vineyards and fields. It basically does everything a truck can but better, except that it isn't rated to tow anything.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I forget who that one poster was, a woman, I think it might have been Emiti, and she said she bought a Prius without test driving it, drove it off the lot, did not like the driving experience, and returned it and got a full credit towards another Toyota. The erBB was shocked at her Hell-raising abilities to get that out of a dealership.

So I'd say maybe test drive a Prius if possible before buying; as a depreciating asset appliance they sound wise as hell.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I like my Mini Countryman Hybrid. Had it lifted and wheels upgraded by X-raid rally.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
trying to find a used 4wd right now, the used car market is bonkers.

Trying to ditch this dodge as I'm at 166k miles on the clock. No real issues besides brakes

Tangentially related, do any of you deal w night blindness?
Forgot my glasses and only had shades, drove in from the country on Saturday and was blind as sh!t. Scared the hell out of me, My vision isn't that bad really. Too much screentime probably
Those newfangled LED headlights fook me up

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
As much as the Prius sucks to drive and is a horrible highway car it kicks ass for storage space and economy ratio. With the seats folded the cargo area on a standard Prius is cavernous and the reliability is off the grid.

other than oil changes there is pretty much nothing you have to do. Cost of operation is cheap as chips. But if you care about how the car drives look elsewhere

Escape or rav 4 hybrids would be a good choice.

This is the balance I'm trying to strike.
When I go back in to the office, I drive a lot. I owned a gen 2 Prius and it was NOT enjoyable to drive. You feel every bump, they handled like sh!t, They get pushed around by wind and road wear...

The freeway mileage is kind of the goal. If it bottoms out at 38-40 though, that's still hitting the peak of most gassers, so that's ok.

I dunno...

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I need a car that qualifies for a carpool sticker for my commute. It saves me about a half hour each way. I currently have a Honda Clarity plug in sedan. I get almost 60 mi all electric. I'm averaging about 116 mi/gal. My electric bill has gone up about $50/mo. I fill up about 6 gal/every 2 weeks (~$20). I lease my commuter car for 3 years, and it coincides with the expiration of the 3-yr carpool sticker. I put $300 down and pay $330/mo for my Honda. Getting a new commuter next year. Hoping vw brings the plug in golf here.

The main difference is that I also have a giant van to drive to the beach/camping, which gets shvt gas mileage (13-15 mpg).

I used to fit my bike and my short board in my golf and take it to the beach. Got about 55 mpg in my tdi. My egolf was the best, though: handled like a dream, and accelerated faster than any car I've driven (100% instant torque and only 1 gear, so no shifting lag).

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
This is the balance I'm trying to strike.
When I go back in to the office, I drive a lot. I owned a gen 2 Prius and it was NOT enjoyable to drive. You feel every bump, they handled like sh!t, They get pushed around by wind and road wear...

The freeway mileage is kind of the goal. If it bottoms out at 38-40 though, that's still hitting the peak of most gassers, so that's ok.

I dunno...
The Prius is hands down one of the worst ever road trip cars, it’s loud, bounces in the wind, gets pushed around, jolting ride quality, and if you drive fast or on hills the MPG is not worth the trade off. My dad would regularly get below 40 mpg on the freeway. Contrast this to our Touareg tdi which on the highway no matter what you do it gets 26-28 mpg. No matter the wind, your speed etc...very similar to my golf which at speeds above 80 beats the Prius and drives much better.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
The Prius is hands down one of the worst ever road trip cars, it’s loud, bounces in the wind, gets pushed around, jolting ride quality, and if you drive fast or on hills the MPG is not worth the trade off. My dad would regularly get below 40 mpg on the freeway. Contrast this to our Touareg tdi which on the highway no matter what you do it gets 26-28 mpg. No matter the wind, your speed etc...very similar to my golf which at speeds above 80 beats the Prius and drives much better.
Putting better tires on it eliminates many of these sins. Also, models and years vary considerably. The 2012 Prius v 5 I test drove was all these things you mentioned. The 2014 Prius v 3 I bought was substantially smoother and quieter. It is still louder than other cars; I may have soundproofing installed in the floors of mine which is supposed to help and be fairly cheap.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Not really a fair comparison. A Touareg TDI cost almost double what a Prius cost.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Contrast this to our Touareg tdi which on the highway no matter what you do it gets 26-28 mpg. No matter the wind, your speed etc...very similar to my golf which at speeds above 80 beats the Prius and drives much better.
I've considered getting another TDI. If I did I'd probably try to offload mine and get a 2012ish Jetta with under 50k. I'd probably try to go no warranty and maintain it well.

I just got my 100k service and I haven't even bought brake pads.
I had a wheel bearing go out on me and a pump start to fail and both were covered by the warranty.

Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
I don't think that 103k on it is so much, but of course, it is a good idea to change cars often in case you understand cars, and know how to choose the one without any problems. I also know a bit about cars as I have a car business. I buy cars and sell them more expensive. This is a good business, by the way. Also, I think you know, but anyway, the best is to buy cars at auctions as this way you have a bigger choice. When I need to sheep the car, I just appeal to this company https://www.shipaa.com/cost-to-ship-a-car/, and they always help me. I would say that they became my business partners.

Last edited:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Jeep is offering the JL model this year with a 3.0 liter ecodiesel as an option. I've read some good reviews on it. A ton of torgue and has good towing capability. I expect the 3.0 eco will be an option in 2021 on the Gladiator.

Jeep also just released a 392 V8 Hemi option aout a week ago.

jeep is offering th

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Just washed it, posted it for sale on a TDI forum for $10,500.

I was going to get pictures of it this morning and we are socked in with fog...

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
This year I bought wife a mazda 3 for commuting, shortboards fit with seats folded down. fun to drive - 40k/gallon so far. we really like this one.
We've had a jetta tdi wagon before which was good mpg & fun to drive until it was stolen :0

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
just buy a reliable gasser and run it into the ground. spend all the saved money on toys. That's what I do, but then again I don't have a ton of disposable income.

Reactions: Mr Doof

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
We tend to keep our cars about 10 years, or until I get anxious that it might break down. (Yes, I have an irrational fear of being stranded on the side of the road.) Last year on our 10-month road trip, we bought a new 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited with most of the bells and whistles. Lots of storage, and back seats lay flat for even more storage. Cooling seats in addition to heated seats, heated steering wheel (why? oh yeah, we bought it in Denver and that's how it came), AWD, oodles of safety features and cameras at every angle, so much it seems to be self driving at times. Half the features we didn't want, but they come packaged--I hate sunroofs/moonroofs and the one on this car is massive, also not a fan of leather seats, but no choice in the package.

We drove all over the Rockies last year, then up to Tahoe, then two months ago we drove again to Colorado and back through Utah, and we are overall 39.2 MPG. Not bad.

Reactions: grapedrink

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
One issue with Priuses happening around here right now is they are having their catalytic converters stolen left and right.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Holy Carp! Abalone sightings!

:waving:

This should get a chuckle out of you 'merikuns...

Just got a 2018 Fiat Qubo. 77 hp.

Fits the 4 dogs and wife. Or the 9' LB inside.

Makes it up the hill, coasts down very nicely too.

:roflmao::roflmao::nana:

7225€ with 17k miles on it.

Gets approximately 60 mpg highway, 50 city... Got no cities here tho. I'm averaging above the highway mpg since I only step on the gas and put it in gear when coming up the hill. Can coast from my home to the surf/dive spot and groceries. Don't really go anywhere else.

Reactions: One-Off