Car shopping

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My civic turbo hatchback is sick. I can get 2 6'4 boards diagonally in the hatch. Still get luggage in it too for longer road trips. Room for me and my wife. When we go to Paso at xmas we sometimes go to SC and we both have a suitcase and xmas gifts in boxes. Only gets 34 MPG but man is that car fast and fun to drive.
gbg.drives.a.civic

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
For what its worth, after 20 years of buying strictly toyota, I bought a hyundai. Its OK, but I wish I would have bought a toyota instead.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
For what its worth, after 20 years of buying strictly toyota, I bought a hyundai. Its OK, but I wish I would have bought a toyota instead.
Same here. Owned: 1990 sr5 4wd, 2002 Prerunner and 2006 stock Tacoma all new. I got a Subaru and absolutely love it.

- surfdad out!

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
i bought a couple Kia's in my time - the attraction was cheap and 60k bumper-to-bumper warranty, like Hyundai's (compared to 36k for Toyota, Honda, etc)...the longer warranty meant you really couldn't get burned, early on. But at about 100k, you'd best start looking for an exit strategy.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
got the 2020 santa fe last september -first Hyundai. i love it. big enough for everything including me and GF sleeping in the back comfortably.. air conditioned seats! all the safety crap you could ever want, decent off road..apple carplay,remote start, thimng will iterally drive itself with adaptive cruise, etc Lease was cheap as fook ($350 - no money down) considering it was msrp around 39,000 and I wont pay for a single maintenance ever - unless my tires go bad during the course of the lease. Only problem is the gas mileage aint all that.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If your car isn't even paid off yet the worst thing you can do is get another one. Pay it off and run it into the ground or dump it when something catastrophic hits.

Then get something that's proven to last a long time.

Cars are such a waste. I drive an o4' and an 06" and spend my money on fun instead.
Truth right there especially if you live at the beach or a place where they salt and brine the roads in the winter. Damned things just rust anyway. Not having a car payment is a freedom I miss.

Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
But at about 100k, you'd best start looking for an exit strategy.
I'm at 2 years and 50K on my hyundai and starting to get the feeling that what you say is the sad reality I will have to face. Kinda rough when I've gotten used to getting 200K to 300K miles out of my Toyotas. Makes the Hyundai MUCH more expensive for folks like me that like to buy new, carefully maintain, and drive till the wheels come off.

Last edited:

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I have a 2010 Jetta Sportswagon TDI just broke 100K hoping to get to 200K on the diesel that's why I bought a diesel.
Never "fixed" it because I didn't want to affect the performance so I'm a polluter.
Love the turbo and manual "punch" when I need it and the mileage although it's gone downhill over the year and diesel is expensive.
But I can go 2weeks or around 400-500 miles with out having to fill up
Been looking at an outback, crosstrek or prius as a replacement, I want a hybid and not a full electric because I don;t trust the grid here. I think if you can get a full tesla solar panel setup to charge your car offline, it makes sense for a full electric.
The outback has allot of interrior space
I can pack 4-5 boards in my car and 4 more on my roof racks as needed.
I want something with allot of clearance like the subarus.
Even considering a small truck like a ranger or transit van for hauling stuff for the home when I retire
be prepared that you could have catastrophic failure on any of the new TDI cars.

DPF, High pressure Fuel pump, EGR etc...these are in the range of 3-12k to replace. By not fixing your car you have ZERO warranty. Also I have had 5 tdi VWs with the fix and none drive different. All will be sold when the warranty runs out at 120k

i am replacing my golf with bronco sport.

I don’t recommend Subaru due to the CVT transmission. I’d rather have a VW alltrack which are a great value right now.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
If your car isn't even paid off yet the worst thing you can do is get another one. Pay it off and run it into the ground or dump it when something catastrophic hits.

Cars are such a waste. I drive an o4' and an 06" and spend my money on fun instead.
2008 here and it will replaced when I have to leave it on the side of the road

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
I'm at 2 years and 50K on my hyundai and starting to get the feeling that what you say is the sad reality I will have to face. Kinda rough when I've gotten used to getting 200K to 300K miles out of my Toyotas. Makes the Hyundai MUCH more expensive for folks like me that like to buy new, carefully maintain, and drive till the wheels come off.
No reason your Hyundai shouldn't last way over 100k miles...great cars

Reactions: crustBrother

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I have a Prius v and love it. I can fit my 9'4" longboard in it and could probably stack 8 shortboards/stepups in there depending on fins and what else was in the car. I've gone on plenty of coastal excursions with a small quiver and tons of other supplies/random junk.

It only gets about 40 mpg on the freeway, maybe a hair under. Mine is worse because I have better Michelin tires on it that cut a couple mpg compared to the louder, lower rolling resistance stock tires and a roof rack. The normal Prius gets another 8-10 mpg from what I understand.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
I have a Prius v and love it. I can fit my 9'4" longboard in it and could probably stack 8 shortboards/stepups in there depending on fins and what else was in the car. I've gone on plenty of coastal excursions with a small quiver and tons of other supplies/random junk.

It only gets about 40 mpg on the freeway, maybe a hair under. Mine is worse because I have better Michelin tires on it that cut a couple mpg compared to the louder, lower rolling resistance stock tires and a roof rack. The normal Prius gets another 8-10 mpg from what I understand.
I wasn't going to mention a longboard, for fear of mockery, but yeah, you can fit one inside the standard Prius, locked, along with a bunch of other random stuff. I can afford a lot more than a used Prius, but all I care about in a car is price, cost of operation, reliability, and that.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I wasn't going to mention a longboard, for fear of mockery, but yeah, you can fit one inside the standard Prius, locked, along with a bunch of other random stuff. I can afford a lot more than a used Prius, but all I care about in a car is price, cost of operation, reliability, and that.
As much as the Prius sucks to drive and is a horrible highway car it kicks ass for storage space and economy ratio. With the seats folded the cargo area on a standard Prius is cavernous and the reliability is off the grid.

other than oil changes there is pretty much nothing you have to do. Cost of operation is cheap as chips. But if you care about how the car drives look elsewhere

Escape or rav 4 hybrids would be a good choice.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

This.

I don't understand why people need nice/new cars.

I drive an 02 with no hubcaps and the thing looks like it has vitiligo.

It hasn't been washed, ever.

Gets me from point A to B just like anything else.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Wife drives a late model Outback. Super nice car, great for around town and road trips to Tahoe (great AWD!) Heated leather seats.
I drive a 26 year old Toyota pickup. Total beater. It will outlive the Outback and probably me, too. She won't even get in it, ever.