Car shopping

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I might be in the market again. I'm waiting to hear back from insurance on whether they are going to repair my Prius V or total it out. A new Corvette took out 4 cars and itself in front of my house last week.

I'm driving a rental VW Passat right now and it really makes me miss my TDI Wagon. The Prius V we bought gets nearly identical mileage to the TDI, but it is does everything worse. It does run on cheaper fuel at the moment and cost less to service though.

Anyone have any positive experiences with totaling out a car they are upside down on (I have gap on the loan). Should I immediately cancel the extended warranty? will it matter?

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We were in Kings Canyon a week ago, on a beach at a swimming hole. A few other groups of people on the beach, maybe 16 total. Bear and baby walking on the other side of the creek. Bear turns and begins crossing the creek. The group closest to the bear freaks out, "ah hell no, ah hell no, I don't do bears!", and runs up the hill leaving their stuff. Bear walks right up to everyone, no fear at all, and rips into the stuff they left. We collected our spread out sh#t, went up on the bridge to watch. People threw rocks at the bear until it grabbed a big Trader Joes bag and bailed back across the river. We went back and hung out on the now empty beach and swam for the rest of the afternoon.
I remember a ranger saying (about the redesign of bear proof trash containers) that between the most intelligent bears and least intelligent humans there is quite a bit of overlap.

We came upon a bear on a trail and I did as the rangers suggested and yelled, "Get out of here bear!" and it ran. Then we walked a little further, around a tree and there was guy where the bear had been, taking pictures. He might have been annoyed I scared it away. The rangers said for their own safety a bear's instinct when they see humans should be to run away.

Now I have a question. We were on the "Big Trees" trail which is paved and just across the street from the visitors center. Very touristy but sublime in its beauty nonetheless. We were sitting on a bench right in front of a giant sequoia that is in the meadow. There were two signs. One said - "Stay on trail. Walking off trail harms a Sequoia's roots." Another sign said "Revegetation Project - Stay on trail." So we're sitting there and a dad with small son walks right past one sign (which is on a fence), practically steps over the other sign which is in the meadow and walks into the meadow, goes right up to the tree and sends the kid running around it. Then his wife comes with two other kids, stops, READS THE SIGNS ALOUD, and then proceeds to send the kids out into the meadow to meet with the dad.:foreheadslap: I felt like saying something. I didn't. Should I have? Would I be a Karen to do so? People are so fkin stupid.

Reactions: rice

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
8 months ago I sold my 5-year-old Prius V model 4 for a ton of cash. So rolled that windfall into a 2021 Subaru Forrester "sport". After years of motorboating around town, I had forgotten what a real car was like. I can afford the extra $20 per tankful and I still get 30 mpg on the freeway. In surfing terms it's like trading in a wavestorm for a custom surfboard. I really like the Eyesight feature, especially when driving in stop-and-go traffic. The car can literally drive itself and I let it except it warns me to hold the steering wheel after a minute or so. I read that recently a guy drove off the end of Palomar Airport road in one of these, ended up in the ocean, and walked away. Very impressive.image_50433281.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceman

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I've had my Outback since December and it has 17k miles on it now. Epic roadtrips to UT, AZ, OR, plus a bunch of trips to the snow and assorted camping up and down the coast. Such a blast to drive! Especially with the turbo engine.

Ended up selling my Tacoma with 305k miles for $7500, and could have easily got more had I waited a little bit, or sold it to any of the other 20 people that called within an hour of the craigslist ad publishing.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Can I sell hunny bunny’s POS 10yr old Jetta for a profit?

dents and lack of any real maintenance history, but you know, market conditions.…

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Kbb says my truck even with 7k miles and 8months old is worth 5gs more than what I paid when I drove it off the lot in january it's bananas

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Kbb says my truck even with 7k miles and 8months old is worth 5gs more than what I paid when I drove it off the lot in january it's bananas

It's so wild right now.

I'm considering buying a 2022 Rav4 Hybrid for this reason.

Sidenote: It looks like my prius V is repairable, so I'll be holding onto it.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
It's so wild right now.

I'm considering buying a 2022 Rav4 Hybrid for this reason.

Sidenote: It looks like my prius V is repairable, so I'll be holding onto it.
Check the mpg on the computer if you test drive them the gas version still gets really good mpg.My wife's 19 xle premium gets 36-37 mpg (mostly hwy). I hand calcd too to verify. don't think the hybrid is a huge improvement so might not be worth it to you for the upcharge. Sounds like you like the hybrids tho coming from a prius

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Avoid this one…

Ford Rolls Out 'Very Gay' Truck in Response to Homophobic Troll

When Ford Germany recently unveiled its new blue Ford Ranger Raptor, it got plenty of praise, but there was one piece of feedback the company said “stopped us in our tracks.” A commenter on social media wasn’t a fan of the blue color choice, saying, “Well, that's a cool car! — But that blue color is very Gay!! Hey Ford! Paint it in BlackNGold or camo!” What happened next was a masterclass in shutting down homophobic trolls.

In a video released on Twitter by Ford Europe, the automaker revealed its new and improved “Very Gay Raptor” decked out in rainbows and gold glitter. In a statement, the company said it wanted to make its position as an LGBTQ+ ally that stands up to discriminatory speech “very clear.”

In the video, the truck gets a digital remake with a gold glitter paint job and rainbow decal, and the whole thing ends with the statement “Happy Pride.” But the company took it one step further and gave the truck a real-life makeover. A 60-hour process saw the vehicle draped in rainbow and gold glitter Alpha foil, then topped with rainbow and heart decals.

This isn’t even the first time that Ford has decked out a Gay Pride vehicle. In 1998, the company wrapped a Ford KA in rainbows in commemoration of the first time it participated in Cologne Pride. This year, both vehicles were in attendance for Pride over the weekend.

In the video, the truck gets a digital remake with a gold glitter paint job and rainbow decal, and the whole thing ends with the statement “Happy Pride.” But the company took it one step further and gave the truck a real-life makeover. A 60-hour process saw the vehicle draped in rainbow and gold glitter Alpha foil, then topped with rainbow and heart decals.

T his isn’t even the first time that Ford has decked out a Gay Pride vehicle. In 1998, the company wrapped a Ford KA in rainbows in commemoration of the first time it participated in Cologne Pride. This year, both vehicles were in attendance for Pride over the weekend.

This isn’t even the first time that Ford has decked out a Gay Pride vehicle. In 1998, the company wrapped a Ford KA in rainbows in commemoration of the first time it participated in Cologne Pride. This year, both vehicles were in attendance for Pride over the weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I just got pulled over by a cop and the first thing he said was, "You got a really nice van." If/when I sell the vanagon I'm going to miss all the compliments. He pulled me over because my brake lights are not working. I checked the fuse and the bulbs which are fine. Thereis a "switch" at the master cylinder which entails draining the brake lines. Fook me...

So still shoppng. Went to a Mercedes dealer to ask about a Sprinter. Nothing on the lot to inspect or test drive and a one year wait if you order. Started to look at the standard roof sprinter (5'-6" head room, not enough for me but just enough for my wife and daughter). Also the diesel gets decent mpg (20+).

But in my reserach I came across this. Why do European models get so much better MPG? Ford Transit- 43 mpg!

Last edited: