Car Rental Crisis In Hawaii

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Holy Moly!!!! We have a trip scheduled to Kauai in October and realized we forgot to reserve a rental car. We've always had good luck with Dollar and hopped on their site yesterday to reserve a mini van. Just guess how much a mini van is for ten days????? $2700!!!!!!!!! It's usually around $700. We searched every rental agency including AAA and didn't find anything much better. Eventually my wife found an article on line recommending Costco.com of all places. Sure enough the quote was $1000 cheaper than anyone else.

According to news reports, rental car agencies took a bit hit in the first year of Covid. In order to stay afloat they sold off a large portion of their fleets. Now that travel restrictions have lifted the companies are getting slammed and passing it on to the consumer. Yikes!!!

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Holy Moly!!!! We have a trip scheduled to Kauai in October and realized we forgot to reserve a rental car. We've always had good luck with Dollar and hopped on their site yesterday to reserve a mini van. Just guess how much a mini van is for ten days????? $2700!!!!!!!!! It's usually around $700. We searched every rental agency including AAA and didn't find anything much better. Eventually my wife found an article on line recommending Costco.com of all places. Sure enough the quote was $1000 cheaper than anyone else.

According to news reports, rental car agencies took a bit hit in the first year of Covid. In order to stay afloat they sold off a large portion of their fleets. Now that travel restrictions have lifted the companies are getting slammed and passing it on to the consumer. Yikes!!!
OLD NEWS ~
cars were all over parking malls parking lots on Kauai, stuffed into old sugar cane fields with growth over the tops of cars. Stuffed into make shift bulldozed lots at the airport and then ~poof, all gone.
Sold off, to pay off their leases to the dealers that they were leased from. COVID put a damper on rentals. No folks to rent cars. No people traveling. And then, 16, 17 months down the line, Hawaii opens up again to the tourists and No rentals cars. Why? New cars can't get chips nor computes for there new cars. So new cars are sitting in factories, static.
Whatever rentals cars are available are scooped up and gone. Folks rent U-Haul trucks from U-Haul or from Home Depot. Heaven forbid, take The Bus, on Oahu. No busses on Maui nor the Big Island of Hawaii and limited bus service on Kauai. But there is cab service which a lot of folks have turned to, to get to see any part of the island that folks are visiting.
Rumor has it that 5000 "rental cars" are being sent to Kauai for different rental agencies.
Whoopie. There goes the neighborhood.
Maui, the Island of Hawaii and soon Kauai have asked airlines to slow down the movement of people to the Islands. "We cannot handle the influx of people at this time." Restaurants, retail business's don't have enough employee's to staff the floors. Workloads /and overtime is the norm for many business's. House of cards for many employers.
Hours of operations for restaurants are being hindered by COVID restrictions in how many people can be in a restaurant at one time leaving many to wait up to an hour or more, 2 hours even. RESERVATIONS anywhere is a must IF, they are taken. Many restaurants don't need to take reservations anymore. "Fill the house," let them eat and shovel in the next group. There is no "service" anymore in some restaurants. Understaffed, overworked, some places can't even clear your starter plates nor main dishes from the table. Sad really.

I'm doing 5 different disciplines in the restaurant that I work at anytime during the evening if need be. Bussing, pantry work, in the back of house (salads, soups, desserts) food runner, so items don't sit and get cold, host, in taking names or sitting people and help washing dishes at the end of the night so we can all get out of Hanalei before 11:00 PM because the road closes overnight for safety reasons due to a huge landslide that we had in March and only one lane is available IN & OUT of Hanalei AND I have to go to work 4 hours before I'm scheduled, because of the work being done on the landslide area and there are scheduled hours on entering and leaving Hanalei. 5:00 AM to 7:30 AM. 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM and 5:30 to 11:00 PM. I take the 1-2:30 convoy. I loose half a day of anything just because of the convoy schedule. Just how it is for now.

COVID, has changed our daily lives in Hawaii for everyone, in one way or another ~

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Rent a Pristine 2019 Buick Enclave 4wd while you are vacationing on the Garden Island
All dates currently available
Car is located in Princeville on North Shore
Airport dropoff and pickup available for $75

No Offroading adventures to Polihale or Kokee allowed. :roflmao::dancing:

message me with your travel dates and allow your car rental here on Kauai to be effortless and easy.
call or text 8 zero 8 8 five five 00 three nine

Ummmm...
Sure. Yeeaah ...OK. :foreheadslap:

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
There's an app called Turo. You rent directly from individuals.
I'm aware - craigslist is potentially better for the renter in this situation as Turo users are sophisticated and are likely charging more.

Craigslist renters are no-nothings and are undercutting themselves

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
OLD NEWS ~
cars were all over parking malls parking lots on Kauai, stuffed into old sugar cane fields with growth over the tops of cars. Stuffed into make shift bulldozed lots at the airport and then ~poof, all gone.
Sold off, to pay off their leases to the dealers that they were leased from. COVID put a damper on rentals. No folks to rent cars. No people traveling. And then, 16, 17 months down the line, Hawaii opens up again to the tourists and No rentals cars. Why? New cars can't get chips nor computes for there new cars. So new cars are sitting in factories, static.
Whatever rentals cars are available are scooped up and gone. Folks rent U-Haul trucks from U-Haul or from Home Depot. Heaven forbid, take The Bus, on Oahu. No busses on Maui nor the Big Island of Hawaii and limited bus service on Kauai. But there is cab service which a lot of folks have turned to, to get to see any part of the island that folks are visiting.
Rumor has it that 5000 "rental cars" are being sent to Kauai for different rental agencies.
Whoopie. There goes the neighborhood.
Maui, the Island of Hawaii and soon Kauai have asked airlines to slow down the movement of people to the Islands. "We cannot handle the influx of people at this time." Restaurants, retail business's don't have enough employee's to staff the floors. Workloads /and overtime is the norm for many business's. House of cards for many employers.
Hours of operations for restaurants are being hindered by COVID restrictions in how many people can be in a restaurant at one time leaving many to wait up to an hour or more, 2 hours even. RESERVATIONS anywhere is a must IF, they are taken. Many restaurants don't need to take reservations anymore. "Fill the house," let them eat and shovel in the next group. There is no "service" anymore in some restaurants. Understaffed, overworked, some places can't even clear your starter plates nor main dishes from the table. Sad really.

I'm doing 5 different disciplines in the restaurant that I work at anytime during the evening if need be. Bussing, pantry work, in the back of house (salads, soups, desserts) food runner, so items don't sit and get cold, host, in taking names or sitting people and help washing dishes at the end of the night so we can all get out of Hanalei before 11:00 PM because the road closes overnight for safety reasons due to a huge landslide that we had in March and only one lane is available IN & OUT of Hanalei AND I have to go to work 4 hours before I'm scheduled, because of the work being done on the landslide area and there are scheduled hours on entering and leaving Hanalei. 5:00 AM to 7:30 AM. 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM and 5:30 to 11:00 PM. I take the 1-2:30 convoy. I loose half a day of anything just because of the convoy schedule. Just how it is for now.

COVID, has changed our daily lives in Hawaii for everyone, in one way or another ~
Geez Peter, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that right now. Our local restaurants are finally making a comeback but it's still a long slow process. I hear that hiring people is still difficult when they can be making more money off of unemployment. Thankfully more people, including my wife felt that it's more important to restart our economy instead of leaching off of it, and have gone back to work. It will all clear up in time but I doubt it's going to be quick.
This trip is to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. No kids or other family members invited. If the restaurants are overloaded, I'd be content sitting on the beach with some Poke and shave ice. ;)

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Geez Peter, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that right now. Our local restaurants are finally making a comeback but it's still a long slow process. I hear that hiring people is still difficult when they can be making more money off of unemployment. Thankfully more people, including my wife felt that it's more important to restart our economy instead of leaching off of it, and have gone back to work. It will all clear up in time but I doubt it's going to be quick.
This trip is to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. No kids or other family members invited. If the restaurants are overloaded, I'd be content sitting on the beach with some Poke and shave ice. ;)
30 years!? wowowowow

please send my condolences to your wife

hahahahaha

love you guys!

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and SrPato

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
No Offroading adventures to Polihale or Kokee allowed. :roflmao::dancing:

message me with your travel dates and allow your car rental here on Kauai to be effortless and easy.
call or text 8 zero 8 8 five five 00 three nine

Ummmm...
Sure. Yeeaah ...OK. :foreheadslap:
I know at least five different military families who almost lost their rental car to Polihale. lol

Putting your personal POV on Turo for Kauai seems like playing with fire. Hope the turo folks got good insurance.

Reactions: PPK96754