Car Rental Crisis In Hawaii

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I hear that hiring people is still difficult when they can be making more money off of unemployment.
A lot of people I know working in busy restaurants are working longer hours but walking with $300-700+ per shift. One guy at a busy bar/restaurant pulled over $1k a few times. You can have 0 experience and get one of those jobs right now. If I were in my 20s I'd be working 3 days in a row per week and take 4 off.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
gonna get worse

we had a family reunion this saturday with a long lost mainland cousin and her family so I had to venture into the craziness of ala moana center which I hadn't been in 5-8 years. Couldn't believe all the sky rises from kakaako in surrounded on the ground by tents of homeless where ever there's an available nook and cranny and then all the damn tourists/locals walking around like everything is back to normal when it really isn't. Felt like some kind of awful movie.

We had a family dinner for 16 at Macaroni Grill which was the only place we could get to take a large gathering and while waiting for the rest of the family to show up I swear there were 20+ people mostly tourists standing outside of every restaurant there waiting to get in.

During dinner there was a tourist family sitting next to us , a poor young indian/arabic (assumed by dress) mother with three very young children including one baby who screamed at the top of her lungs for about 15 minutes until the young mother could take her into the bathroom after getting the server to watch the other two very young children she left at the table by themselves. Never saw anything like it. Most of those in the restaurant were freaking at the screaming from the baby.
I'm glad I down venture past the prison these days. I'd rather live with the animals in Oahu's armpit.

And yes it's still bad.
Just had two cases of employees who had very close non-vaxxed relatives almost die in a matter of two weeks from catching the delta varient. Both who will survive although will have life changing and costly health effects for the rest of their lives. Makes you both mad and sad that this is still happening while everyone is partying like it's 1990. Consoling employees who've lost relatives where it impacts their job performance is also something people don't take into consideration. We're already short good workers everywhere.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Geez Peter, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that right now. Our local restaurants are finally making a comeback but it's still a long slow process. I hear that hiring people is still difficult when they can be making more money off of unemployment. Thankfully more people, including my wife felt that it's more important to restart our economy instead of leaching off of it, and have gone back to work. It will all clear up in time but I doubt it's going to be quick.
This trip is to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. No kids or other family members invited. If the restaurants are overloaded, I'd be content sitting on the beach with some Poke and shave ice. ;)
I could eat food land spam musubi And poke for the rest of my life on Kauai and be content

oh and congrats on the anniversary!

Reactions: SrPato

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
A lot of people I know working in busy restaurants are working longer hours but walking with $300-700+ per shift. One guy at a busy bar/restaurant pulled over $1k a few times. You can have 0 experience and get one of those jobs right now. If I were in my 20s I'd be working 3 days in a row per week and take 4 off.
It seems like there are good opportunities for people who want to work in that industry. Make some decent money for awhile.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I got off of unemployment because I knew, I could make more money which I am with a big increase of hourly pay. My skills, set my wage and I was just asked by a very popular restaurant owner if I liked where I'm working. "Absolutely" I replied. He just smiled and nodded his head. "Good for them. Thanks Pete."

@ mr.? If you were 20?? I'll run yer azz over at 75. Try and keep up! ;)
I'm going from 3 to 6 days to bank my road trip to either the desert ( New Mexico, AZ, Utah, etc) or up the West coast starting in San Diego to Vancouver Island. $$$$ hungry driven. Shipping my Sequoia over and living out of it. Banking the $$$ until October.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hawaii doesn't want anymore tourists.

Best to just stay away.

BTW it's not just Hawaii that's expensive.

I tried to rent all over Montana, the Dakotas, Idaho.

4-5K for 3 weeks.

Turo was no better.

Ended up having to cut the dates shorter and fly into Spokane just so I could rent there. OTD price wasn't nearly as girthy but still got buttfvcked

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I got off of unemployment because I knew, I could make more money which I am with a big increase of hourly pay. My skills, set my wage and I was just asked by a very popular restaurant owner if I liked where I'm working. "Absolutely" I replied. He just smiled and nodded his head. "Good for them. Thanks Pete."

@ mr.? If you were 20?? I'll run yer azz over at 75. Try and keep up! ;)
I'm going from 3 to 6 days to bank my road trip to either the desert ( New Mexico, AZ, Utah, etc) or up the West coast starting in San Diego to Vancouver Island. $$$$ hungry driven. Shipping my Sequoia over and living out of it. Banking the $$$ until October.
let us know how we can make your visit a more pleasant one!

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
All this talk of local officials asking tourists to stay away and asking the airlines to help, while I just received a promo email from Alaska advertising a 3-day sale starting at $99 each way. We're so F'd. :bricks:

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Glad my mom overplans everything. Booked us car's for christmas at a reasonable price back in april

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
these guys are tripping me out. I book cars same time I book air/lodging so I get the early price and the desired model.

that way when I arrive and they don't have the sedan, I get UPGRADED and don't have to adjust down to the econobox

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I welcome the tourists.

Part of living in Hawaii and lot of our jobs depend on it.

Telling them not to come is stupid. And its almost always the new transplants that try to stop people from showing up.

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
these guys are tripping me out. I book cars same time I book air/lodging so I get the early price and the desired model.

that way when I arrive and they don't have the sedan, I get UPGRADED and don't have to adjust down to the econobox
My wife had us booked for 2 weeks for a Volvo in Ireland about 12 years ago for like $2,100 USD about 3 months out. She endlessly patrols pricing and 3 weeks out she sees a special on the same car with the same company for $895 but there's no cars available. She was like Hmmmn.... I wonder if I... She took the risk, cancelled our car and then quickly booked the now available car at the lower price. She's a champ!

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I welcome the tourists.

Part of living in Hawaii and lot of our jobs depend on it.

Telling them not to come is stupid. And its almost always the new transplants that try to stop people from showing up.
I agree but for an industry that is so vital to our state's economy, the powers that be do precious little to manage it effectively. It doesn't have to be this way.