Canceling student loan debt.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
im not pretending to know the causes and effects - just saying its unrealistic to expect most to pay for a college education out of their own pockets. even with rich mommy and daddies.
Worth some national soul-searching.

Are we pushing our populace towards higher education so we can compete technologically with the other industrialized nations or are we just going to settle for generating marginally-educated workers who are interchangeable with the average migrant but work less hard and use more opiates/meth?

Or is that what the increased military budget is about? So we can use a downward spiral in educational ambition, ensuring limited options as a form of informal conscription?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I don't know how kids can afford college now unless their parents are rich.

In the late 90s when I got my bachelors and masters, tuition was $875 a semester at SDSU.

It's $4,000 a semester now.

My rent was $425 for my share of a 2BR 1 BA house in OB. Rent for same place now is $2,800.

utoma

Nep status
Apr 19, 2019
My wife is is nearing a zero balance on her 40K grad school debt. I'm sure glad we're doing the right thing!
I still have $2k left on a $40k debt, and yet I still believe if they can find a way to cancel out some student debt, it will be an overall good thing for America, and they should do it. I don't care if I don't get compensated for the student loans I already paid for. You need to stop thinking in a "they shouldn't get benefits, if I don't get any" mindset.

America will benefit more from canceling out some student debt then starting another war, or giving corporations more tax cuts, or giving the wealthiest 1% more tax cuts.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I do believe the whole college tuition needs a revamp, otherwise this problem will just repeat itself.
I agree but by forgiving current debit only teaches people that they don't need to be held accountable for their decisions and in my opinion will only be likely to make a poor decision again.

But yes, as someone who has kids that will go into college (hopefully) in 5 and 8 years, I don't know how we're going to be able to do it without the CC to 4 year school route.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
true dat..real education begins during your bachelors though when youre actually taking classes that apply to your major and that you enjoy.

on top of that the college experience in general Id say is priceless as well. lots of life experiences wrapped up in that 4 years.
From the posts here it sounds like priceless isn’t an accurate description of the college experience.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I agree but by forgiving current debit only teaches people that they don't need to be held accountable for their decisions and in my opinion will only be likely to make a poor decision again.

But yes, as someone who has kids that will go into college (hopefully) in 5 and 8 years, I don't know how we're going to be able to do it without the CC to 4 year school route.
Nothing wrong with going to Mesa for 2 years.

Couple hundred bucks a semester. Damn right I went there 2 years.

I have heard if you are a female and a person of color, going to community college means you are going nowhere. This came from a couple we know that has 2 girls in HS in SD and don't know how they are going to pay for their education.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I have heard if you are a female and a person of color, going to community college means you are going nowhere. This came from a couple we know that has 2 girls in HS in SD and don't know how they are going to pay for their education.
What does that even mean?

You get your GE and transfer without debt.

People are nutty about college.

Reactions: GDaddy

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
This woman was very agitated when I mentioned CC for 2 years. Told me it's the kiss of death for non white females. Her exact words. Instant disadvantage. Black mark. More limited upward mobility.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I couldn't really argue with her. She is very successful and fairly wealthy. She knows.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
it is what you make of it. I enjoyed my classes, carved out a marketable skill in a niche industry, met life long friends and partied my ass off. would gladly put myself in debt again to relive the experience.
Same. Pretty much exactly

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I am still friends with the people that I had my major's core courses with

the only friends I still have that I lived in the dorms with were people that
I had gone to high school and also happened to go to the same state uni

pick a major that feeds in to emerging and/or well-paid work and do all
the internships

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
This woman was very agitated when I mentioned CC for 2 years. Told me it's the kiss of death for non white females. Her exact words. Instant disadvantage. Black mark. More limited upward mobility.
This woman sounds like a dumb mouthy sweet and delicious bag of sugar

Reactions: Autoprax

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
In that joke I used taboo humor, comic misunderstanding and a little satire.

But seriously, a smart non-white femaie who aces all her classes at the CCs can get a free ride to anywhere she wants.

It's actually a great time to be a smart non-white female in America.

If she's pretty all the better.

The people who have the issues are dumb ugly people.

For us, the road is tough to hoe.