Canceling student loan debt.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
She is Indian. Very smart woman. I was surprised to hear this. But I've known her for 5 years and gotta believe she may know what she's talking about.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
It was the relative scarcity that made any college degree marketable regardless of major. If you increase the supply without increasing the demand the price (income) attributable to that asset goes down.

Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Plenty of professors make 2,3,400K per year to have an assistant do all their work while they go and do 'special projects'.

Boards, and professors make waaaayyyy to much. The scale has to balance out when you compare college teachers salaries to normal elemantary and high school teachers. It's just ridiculous.
Low or zero interest rates are good. Free for the first 2 yrs seems reasonable, at least at a jr colege, more than that should pay.
4 yr univ, especially the private ones, should cap out at a max.
Wife went to USC, paid off her loans w in 5 yrs out. I went to school of life, paid my dues, and doing well with no school debt.
Granpa says its probably not as beneficial to goto college at those prices, better off learning a trade!

Reactions: Kento

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I know if you wanted to be a DR. in Ca back in the 70's-80s, they cancelled your school debt once you started practice.

If its a worthy trade, like maybe what they do in AUS or NZ, that would help the CA public or economy maybe that shoud be the case?

Reactions: GDaddy and Kento

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I know if you wanted to be a DR. in Ca back in the 70's-80s, they cancelled your school debt once you started practice.

If its a worthy trade, like maybe what they do in AUS or NZ, that would help the CA public or economy maybe that shoud be the case?
Just not making surfboards... :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Plenty of professors make 2,3,400K per year to have an assistant do all their work while they go and do 'special projects'.

Boards, and professors make waaaayyyy to much. The scale has to balance out when you compare college teachers salaries to normal elemantary and high school teachers. It's just ridiculous.
Low or zero interest rates are good. Free for the first 2 yrs seems reasonable, at least at a jr colege, more than that should pay.
4 yr univ, especially the private ones, should cap out at a max.
Wife went to USC, paid off her loans w in 5 yrs out. I went to school of life, paid my dues, and doing well with no school debt.
Granpa says its probably not as beneficial to goto college at those prices, better off learning a trade!
I've read that the vast majority of college professors are not on the tenure track, which I'm guessing means that most professors aren't making anywhere close to that amount. So the crazy tuition inflation loot is going somewhere else.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've read that the vast majority of college professors are not on the tenure track, which I'm guessing means that most professors aren't making anywhere close to that amount. So the crazy tuition inflation loot is going somewhere else.
Football team?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Last time I checked it 30% were tenure track.

The rest were part time temporary part timers making under 50 Gs to teach a full load.

:cry:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Probably offset by ticket sales, broadcast rights, merchandise licensing, etc
The overwhelming majority of the big-time crooked Power Five schools' football programs are revenue-generating.

The dead weight is the NCAA, Bowl commissions, TV networks (Corso drools on himself, needs Herbstreit to remember his name for him, and he's still sharper than Tim Tebow), and connected blowhards in Conference offices.

IMHO the dead weight in public education is politically-connected Administrative/board positions and, depending on your state, funneling money hand over fist to privately-owned for-profit charter schools at higher per-capita rates than it goes to the public schools. Maybe in California it's different but in Florida, it makes the for-profit prisons look like St. Jude's Children's hospital.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Do DNC any candidates have an election strategy or platform that doesn’t involve one upping each other over who can provide the most free stuff?

Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Do DNC any candidates have an election strategy or platform that doesn’t involve one upping each other over who can provide the most free stuff?
Yeah Klobuchar.

Do any GOP candidates have an election strategy or platform that isn't the same, and actually winds up being worse for the fiscal situation, 8 years into an expansion?

I mean at least Warren and Sanders are straight up with the taxation. The GOP likes to pretend cutting taxes and rebuilding our military makes the deficit fairy happy or something.

Reactions: GDaddy