Can we talk for a second? Cutting sugar out of your diet......

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Garlic and onion both are good and good for you. Chile too. Limón. Nature’s own medicine. Seasonal cold? Load up. I don’t add sugar to anything.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I go to work every day with a banana, an orange or grapefruit, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple. I eat the banana for breakfast and the rest in order through the day. I probably lost 15 lbs that way over time and it's been easier to stay thinner not getting a sandwich at the deli - lunch was keeping me a bit too fat. I was using Skippy peanut butter and at BJ's Warehouse they started carrying "Natural Skippy" but reading the two labels it was basically the same as regular. Then I saw Smucker's natural at Wallmart and it was just peanuts nothing else - comparing it to Skippy - whoa there was sugar added to Skippy (OK I was a little slow to realize that).

Switching to peanuts only Smuckers peanut butter at lunch I lost about 6 lbs over 6-8 months - a worthwhile change.
That is a lot of carbs.

Not much protein.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I go to work every day with a banana, an orange or grapefruit, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple. I eat the banana for breakfast and the rest in order through the day. I probably lost 15 lbs that way over time and it's been easier to stay thinner not getting a sandwich at the deli - lunch was keeping me a bit too fat. I was using Skippy peanut butter and at BJ's Warehouse they started carrying "Natural Skippy" but reading the two labels it was basically the same as regular. Then I saw Smucker's natural at Wallmart and it was just peanuts nothing else - comparing it to Skippy - whoa there was sugar added to Skippy (OK I was a little slow to realize that).

Switching to peanuts only Smuckers peanut butter at lunch I lost about 6 lbs over 6-8 months - a worthwhile change.
Peanut butter is a staple food for me.

Reactions: Ifallalot

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Train hard
stay lean
And you should be able to eat intuitively and be okay.

When I train hard I crave quality food.

If you are fat, you need to watch your carbs.
Hunger and pain connection.

We feel hunger because our body needs food.

We feel hunger during emotional times, even though we don't need food.

Recurring lower back pain can be looked at the same way.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There are some things that are good for you that are not good to some bowels in large quantities

Think prunes, a high FODMAP food that will make u sh!t like a goose if you eat a bunch. Thats why they give prune juice to people when they're constipated.

Cherries will have the same effect if eaten in large quantities over a few days.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So true

I have lower back injury from shearing my back over reef at my iliac crest that has slowly improved over a decade. Not 100% but much better. I flare it up every few months but goes away in a day or 2.

Contrast with yesterday afternoon 4PM - nuts day of mental stress at work - my lower back feels like a wreck. Tense and tweaked.

8PM I arrive home back feels totally normal.

Now out the door to surf.

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had to do it after I got sick and the doctor put me on a low FODMAP diet for a few weeks.

It was a nightmare because both are in pretty much everything.

The worst part was that after about two weeks I became incredibly sensitive to the odor of garlic. I wouldn't even be thinking about it and then wham! it hit me in the face via the ACE hardware cashier from about 3 feet away.

I didn't think anything of it, next morning I wake up and before my eyes are even open I can smell my wife's garlic breath next to me.

I'm still not making the association.

Then I'm at work and it's after lunch. Nephrologist comes up to talk to me and I have to hold back the cringe from his garlic breath.

OK

Then a little while later another MD came up behind me and I could smell the garlic breath before I even knew she was there. Disgusting.

The smell eventually permeated our bedroom - I get up earlier then my wife and if I would come back into the bedroom while she was still asleep the smell would hit me like a ton of bricks walking through the bedroom door. I wouldn't even be thinking about it, it just would instantly reek.

Once I was off the diet the smell slowly went away. Now back to normal.

In retrospect makes sense - before garlic was ubiquitous in cooking cultures that did not use it would comment on how bad cultures that did use it stunk.
Northern Italians do not use a lot of garlic (contrary to popular opinion) for that reason...
You should have visited Korea when you were on that dieto_O

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Yes. Faulty neuroception.

I like how opiate addiction triggers back pain.

My back!

I like to eat when I am bored too.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
There are some things that are good for you that are not good to some bowels in large quantities

Think prunes, a high FODMAP food that will make u sh!t like a goose if you eat a bunch. Thats why they give prune juice to people when they're constipated.

Cherries will have the same effect if eaten in large quantities over a few days.
On one of our trips up to NorCal, along the Russian River there were lots of roadside vendors selling local fruit. We stocked up on cherries, plums and figs. They were SOOOOO Good. Couldn't stop eating them. Later, at the campground....lot of 40 yard dashes...

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Why do we feel hunger when we're exhausted? Same connection?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I had to do it after I got sick and the doctor put me on a low FODMAP diet for a few weeks.
Yeah I figured it was a FODMAP thing. That's where stuff gets real complicated, because foods that are generally considered very healthy can be a no go for some people.

I had a bunch of steamed bok choy last night. I feel like I am still digesting it. I definitely get cabbage farts from most cruciferous veggies.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Northern Italians do not use a lot of garlic (contrary to popular opinion) for that reason...
You should have visited Korea when you were on that dieto_O
Some of the earlier inhabitants of Italy, like the Etruscans, didn't eat garlic.

Garlic was a trading item that got introduced.

Thank-you college geography teacher for this factoid....took me a lot of years to be able to use it, now, at long last, I can forget it and move on.

PS

Onion and garlic are great for the immune system.

Refined sugar not the best thing to eat, but man, there have been times when it has really helped this tired body of mine perk up enough to get past some metaphorical choke point so I could eat/drink properly and recover....maybe just in my mind though.

Last edited:
Reactions: racer1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
On one of our trips up to NorCal, along the Russian River there were lots of roadside vendors selling local fruit. We stocked up on cherries, plums and figs. They were SOOOOO Good. Couldn't stop eating them. Later, at the campground....lot of 40 yard dashes...
A lot of fruit sold at road side stands is not local, unless you consider a 200 mile radius to be local. Definitely tasty though!

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

It was a nightmare because both are in pretty much everything.

The worst part was that after about two weeks I became incredibly sensitive to the odor of garlic. I wouldn't even be thinking about it and then wham! it hit me in the face via the ACE hardware cashier from about 3 feet away.

I didn't think anything of it, next morning I wake up and before my eyes are even open I can smell my wife's garlic breath next to me.

I'm still not making the association.

Then I'm at work and it's after lunch. Nephrologist comes up to talk to me and I have to hold back the cringe from his garlic breath.

OK

Then a little while later another MD came up behind me and I could smell the garlic breath before I even knew she was there. Disgusting.

The smell eventually permeated our bedroom - I get up earlier then my wife and if I would come back into the bedroom while she was still asleep the smell would hit me like a ton of bricks walking through the bedroom door. I wouldn't even be thinking about it, it just would instantly reek.

Once I was off the diet the smell slowly went away. Now back to normal.

In retrospect makes sense - before garlic was ubiquitous in cooking cultures that did not use it would comment on how bad cultures that did use it stunk.
Becoming a vampire must have sucked.