Can we talk for a second? Cutting sugar out of your diet......

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I'm by no means a "New Years Resolution" type but I am very entertained by the number of articles about diet and nutrition that seem to pop up this time of year. I thought this one was worthwhile.

It seems like cutting sugar out of your diet is the most difficult dietary goal to achieve.

Pancakes15

OTF status
Mar 17, 2015
Its 2020 and you're just now realizing sugar is bad for you?

Hopefully by 2030 you realize fruit and vegetables are good for you.

Baby boomers are so clueless. Still brainwashed eating meat and dairy trying all these weird diets like its gonna do something.

Just eat healthy natural sh!t. Its pretty simple.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Baby boomers are so clueless. Still brainwashed eating meat and dairy trying all these weird diets like its gonna do something.

Vegan dogmatics are the worst.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Are there negative effects from garlic and onion?
For most people nothing, for some people a lot.

They are very high FODMAP foods. Both are high in insoluble fiber + the manner in which the juices are broken down in the intestine causes gas and diarrhea in some people.

I'm not sensitive to either but have experiences the garlic thing - horrific farts - after eating a lot of roasted garlic on bread or pizza.

Or are you just suggesting it would be hard to eliminate them because of their prevalence in a lot of foods?
That too.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Meat and dairy is healthy and natural, dipshit

Reactions: john4surf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
For most people nothing, for some people a lot.

They are very high FODMAP foods. Both are high in insoluble fiber + the manner in which the juices are broken down in the intestine causes gas and diarrhea in some people.

I'm not sensitive to either but have experiences the garlic thing - horrific farts - after eating a lot of roasted garlic on bread or pizza.

That too.
Yeah, I can eat onion, but garlic fucks me up. I still love it though

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

This.

And I'm not vegan.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I see no reason to cut garlic and onion, unless you get some kind of gastrointestinal distress from it.
I had to do it after I got sick and the doctor put me on a low FODMAP diet for a few weeks.

It was a nightmare because both are in pretty much everything.

The worst part was that after about two weeks I became incredibly sensitive to the odor of garlic. I wouldn't even be thinking about it and then wham! it hit me in the face via the ACE hardware cashier from about 3 feet away.

I didn't think anything of it, next morning I wake up and before my eyes are even open I can smell my wife's garlic breath next to me.

I'm still not making the association.

Then I'm at work and it's after lunch. Nephrologist comes up to talk to me and I have to hold back the cringe from his garlic breath.

OK

Then a little while later another MD came up behind me and I could smell the garlic breath before I even knew she was there. Disgusting.

The smell eventually permeated our bedroom - I get up earlier then my wife and if I would come back into the bedroom while she was still asleep the smell would hit me like a ton of bricks walking through the bedroom door. I wouldn't even be thinking about it, it just would instantly reek.

Once I was off the diet the smell slowly went away. Now back to normal.

In retrospect makes sense - before garlic was ubiquitous in cooking cultures that did not use it would comment on how bad cultures that did use it stunk.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I go to work every day with a banana, an orange or grapefruit, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple. I eat the banana for breakfast and the rest in order through the day. I probably lost 15 lbs that way over time and it's been easier to stay thinner not getting a sandwich at the deli - lunch was keeping me a bit too fat. I was using Skippy peanut butter and at BJ's Warehouse they started carrying "Natural Skippy" but reading the two labels it was basically the same as regular. Then I saw Smucker's natural at Wallmart and it was just peanuts nothing else - comparing it to Skippy - whoa there was sugar added to Skippy (OK I was a little slow to realize that).

Switching to peanuts only Smuckers peanut butter at lunch I lost about 6 lbs over 6-8 months - a worthwhile change.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Train hard
stay lean
And you should be able to eat intuitively and be okay.

When I train hard I crave quality food.

If you are fat, you need to watch your carbs.