Can we talk about the keto diet?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Added sugar I guess, they all have slot of sugar plus peanut butter is one of the things I most likely snack on when I should be sleeping=not good for calorie deficit.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
High fat/calories, calorie dense, easy to overeat.
Trail mix is bad; one cup of the Kirkland brand (peanuts, raisins, M&Ms, etc.) is 640 calories. Would bring a bag of it hiking/running and realized that just the one bag negated everything I had just done. Absolute worst munchie food to have for exactly the reasons above. Can easily consume a few thousand calories worth in one minor sitting.

Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Trail mix is bad; one cup of the Kirkland brand (peanuts, raisins, M&Ms, etc.) is 640 calories. Would bring a bag of it hiking/running and realized that just the one bag negated everything I had just done. Absolute worst munchie food to have for exactly the reasons above. Can easily consume a few thousand calories worth in one minor sitting.
trail mix with chocolate is still one of the most calorie dense foods when you
consider the calorie to weight ratio

it's phenom for backpacking

Reactions: Mr Doof and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
trail mix with chocolate is still one of the most calorie dense foods when you
consider the calorie to weight ratio

it's phenom for backpacking
That it is. I suffer no guilt having a large bag of it on a long (15+ mile) hike; you're burning a few thousand calories over several hours and you need that fuel.

BTW, that backpacking trip you did was awesome. Stocked for you. Did you do it solo or go with a group?

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
That it is. I suffer no guilt having a large bag of it on a long (15+ mile) hike; you're burning a few thousand calories over several hours and you need that fuel.

BTW, that backpacking trip you did was awesome. Stocked for you. Did you do it solo or go with a group?
solo

I want to do trans-catalina and maybe illegal santa monica backbone through hike this winter.

if anyone is interested, let me know.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
solo

I want to do trans-catalina and maybe illegal santa monica backbone through hike this winter.

if anyone is interested, let me know.
Nice.

TCT was a fun hike. Luxury backpacking with booze stops along the way. It's a pricey backpacking trip with the ferry, campgrounds (call up for reservations and they'll waive the 2-night minimum stay). Well worth it, though. Let me know if you want any advice/tips on that.

The Santa Monica Backbone trail looks like a ton of fun, as I grew up in that area, going to school in Topanga (many field trips to that one fossil outcrop). Not sure I can pull that this winter but I would love to backpack it someday. Sounds like you have to guerilla camp it but am sure that can be done relatively easily as long as you find a good spot off-trail.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Nice.

TCT was a fun hike. Luxury backpacking with booze stops along the way. It's a pricey backpacking trip with the ferry, campgrounds (call up for reservations and they'll waive the 2-night minimum stay). Well worth it, though. Let me know if you want any advice/tips on that.

The Santa Monica Backbone trail looks like a ton of fun, as I grew up in that area, going to school in Topanga (many field trips to that one fossil outcrop). Not sure I can pull that this winter but I would love to backpack it someday. Sounds like you have to guerilla camp it but am sure that can be done relatively easily as long as you find a good spot off-trail.
I was also looking at mexican border to laguna mountain or even san jac, but I'd
have to bang that out in the next month and I'd still run the risk of surprise snow.

basically...a PCT section hike

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I was also looking at mexican border to laguna mountain or even san jac, but I'd
have to bang that out in the next month and I'd still run the risk of surprise snow.

basically...a PCT section hike
Yep. I'd like to hike Gorgonio one of these days too but tight window between now and first snowfall. Both are high up and get iffy as far as inclement weather starting in October.

Actually the backpacking trip that sounds fun as hell would be Gorgonio 9 peak trek which takes you from Gorgonio over to San Bernardino Peak. Can either leave 2 cars or be a masochist and descend Momyer Trail back to Gorgonio lot. https://socalhiker.net/the-nine-peak-challenge/

I would, uh, need to get back in hiking shape for sure; mostly been surfing.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Yep. I'd like to hike Gorgonio one of these days too but tight window between now and first snowfall. Both are high up and get iffy as far as inclement weather starting in October.

Actually the backpacking trip that sounds fun as hell would be Gorgonio 9 peak trek which takes you from Gorgonio over to San Bernardino Peak. Can either leave 2 cars or be a masochist and descend Momyer Trail back to Gorgonio lot. https://socalhiker.net/the-nine-peak-challenge/

I would, uh, need to get back in hiking shape for sure; mostly been surfing.
I think I could manage that in a single day...it would be easy to do in two

I'm in

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
ketotards :monkey:

eat more fat to lose fat :crazy2:

the most energy dense macronutrient available :foreheadslap:

better off eating leaner meat and veggies with some non flour carbs as needed, the fat will disappear and you'll be much more satisfied (not looking for nuts to gobble down after a "meal")

Reactions: grapedrink

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
yup - i consider dried fruit to be basically condensed sugar nuggets.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think I could manage that in a single day...it would be easy to do in two

I'm in
I would actually start that from the San Bernardino Peak side to save some pain.

Last year, I actually thought I could do the Baldy 10 peaks in one day but did them backwards (and started from village) so stuck with 6, skipping the Cucamonga complex. That kicked my ass enough. Fun as hell though.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
shuttle cars fo sho
Yep.

I am of course completely down. The next step is to actually sell my wife on this concept. Must be treading lightly because the talk of a G-Land trip has been hitting the periphery of conversations, can't ask for too much in short succession. :roflmao:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think I will try Catalina in early December
Good time to do it. So long as it doesn't rain before.

Do not do it in summer. Anything over 80 degrees, you will cook. Highly exposed, no shade, and you have some very steep-graded climbs. Do not go up Fenceline Road out of Parsons - it will murder your soul. I greatly disliked the middle stretch of the Old Baldy trail and it was nothing compared to Fenceline.

When you are coming up from Little Harbor towards that gazebo, there is a huge landslide that the Conservancy doesn't really want to acknowledge. It's propagating inwards (lots of deep mud cracks) - tread as outward as possible. I did it 2 years ago and even then, kind of thinking that, yeah, this might release at some point. Bring trunks - nothing feels better than a swim through Little and Shark Harbors to get that grime off, not to mention cool off. And it's beautiful. If I did it again, I would muscle through, skip Blackjack and go straight through to Little Harbor, staying there two days. Thinking about it, yeah, it is my favorite campground and by a long shot.

It's up to you whether you want to go to Starlight Beach. It's an extra 9 miles that is worse than it sounds. Whatever you do, take the Old Road, it will save you a steep down and up jeep trail. I really thought it was anticlimactic, not worth the effort IMO, beach is a rocky jumble, nowhere near as nice as Little Harbor or Parsons (order water and firewood and they'll leave it in the box for you) and the hike will take the p*ss out of you. I also see no shame in cutting the Cherry Cove meander via the beach; otherwise, at least be intoxicated to get through the gratuitous mile to go 100 yards (there's a lot of that). Supposedly there is a trail box to sign on the Land's End ridge but didn't venture; hindsight, I would have rather hiked Silver Peak and enjoyed that view.

The whole trail is on Google Street View (heh, so is the Kukla to Everest Base Camp route) with the exception of the revised route from Airport to Little Harbor. Can give you an idea. Lots of cruel false summits. There will be demoralization.

And buffalo. Haha yeah they're there. And they're huge. Give them a wide berth and you're fine.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Twin Harbors to Parsons Friday
Parsons to Little Harbor Saturday
Little Harbor to Avalon Sunday