Can we talk about the keto diet?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Some of what you say is correct. I've experienced unwanted weight gain on keto, and had to combine it with intermittent fasting. Other things you've said disregard the metabolic and autoimmune challenges that each of us face as we age. For example, up to now Type 2 diabetes has been thought of as a "metabolic disease". Type 2 diabetes describes nothing more than the glucose-rich effects of insulin resistance ....resistance of cells to import glucose.

1. Insulin resistance affects people at quite young ages.
2. Insulin resistance affects thin people.
3. Insulin resistance degrades athletic performance.
4. Only recently have quality studies identified insulin resistance as an autoimmune condition brought about by carbohydrate ingestion.

There are over 200 autoimmune diseases. More diseases, like schizophrenia and autism are being classified with multiple sclerosis and ALS as autoimmune diseases. Autoimmunity is now recognized as a much more significant factor among our population. There is a reason why Costco now stocks and carries A2 milk.
Like I said, variation exists. Most of the success stories I’ve heard with keto come from people who had some form of autoimmune issue. I don’t see it as being of benefit for the general public.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Like I said, variation exists. Most of the success stories I’ve heard with keto come from people who had some form of autoimmune issue. I don’t see it as being of benefit for the general public.

What I'm trying to tell you is that autoimmunity affects the vast majority of our population in their lives. When does it begin? Let's take type 2 diabetes. Would the 60 year old with arthritis, and insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes have them if, when at 30 he had gone onto keto when he started feeling flagged early in his sessions?

My answer is a resounding "NO" . And there are LOTS of 60 year olds with bad knees and type 2 diabetes..... not to mention all of the other autoimmune conditions.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What I'm trying to tell you is that autoimmunity affects the vast majority of our population in their lives. When does it begin? Let's take type 2 diabetes. Would the 60 year old with arthritis, and insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes have them if, when at 30 he had gone onto keto when he started feeling flagged early in his sessions?

My answer is a resounding "NO" . And there are LOTS of 60 year olds with bad knees and type 2 diabetes..... not to mention all of the other autoimmune conditions.
Again, the mechanisms you are explaining are important, but they are ultimately overridden by thermodynamics for the vast majority of the population when it comes to weight gain or loss. You can talk about mechanistic effects all you want, but if the hypothesis does not play out in real world studies, then there are probably other factors that are more important. That's not to say that there are no benefits with keto, but from a weight loss perspective, no metabolic ward studies have shown a difference.

Most of the problems with excess sugar are in the context of a calorie surplus, in which case I would agree that you are more likely to put on more fat tissue with excess carbs versus other nutrients. In addition to other health issues.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

A vast majority of our population exists perfectly fine without a keto diet. Could it be your scientific method is flawed...or are you substituting personal experience and a few quotes from the internet as proof?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Imho, 16:8 and a whole foods diet (which is keto, by definition) gives solid results with steady weight loss. 16:8 is easy to follow with an 11-7 schedule, coz half your 16 is sleep.

Reactions: Havoc

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
it works for sedentary ppl. sux for surfing as u get gassed out fast
I did it and now do a really low carb diet and you are totally right. Between surfing and MTB. I get so out of breath now meanwhile I used to run circles around most guys. It really effed with my head.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I was on Adkins in 2001 with my wife after my son was born. Lost alot of fat but after 40 minutes surfing I was done. Couple big day at the cliffs and I would get caught inside. Nothing in the tank.

I recover after long surfing sessions with massive carb overload. If I don't I'm fatigued the next day.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Is it though? You could be eating a lot of corn, potatoes, plantains, etc and probably be eating too many carbs to be considered keto.
fair point - i was thinking in general terms of vegetables, fruit, clean proteins. etc but you could overdo potatoes, rice, corn, bananas etc and sabotage your efforts. i think the 16:8 set-up lets you be a little more relaxed about your diet in general, and still see good results.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Everybody is different and have differing dietary and nutritional needs. Unless a person is baselining their diet, tracking every individual macro and calorie, tracking their weight, measurements etc. and making minor adjustments (minimum effective dose) to caloric intake and macros to achieve the desired results than they aren't really doing anything specific to them or their health.

Most people get good results from manipulating meal timing, frequency, and food quality- whether the goals are weight maintenance, muscle gain, or almost always...weight loss. The crux of each of these fad "diets" out there is a strategy that somehow boosts the person’s compliance to the diet which results in a change in calories that produce a caloric deficit........which is the magic. At the end of the day all that's happened is they ate less calories.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
whats 16:8?
whats 16:8?
16/8 intermittent fasting involves eating only during an eight-hour window during the day and fasting for the remaining 16 hours. It may support weight loss, improve blood sugar, boost brain function and increase longevity.
. It's quite easy and it works: don't eat until 11 in the morning, then eat solid lunches and dinners, mindful but not obsessed with carbs or calories. eat sensibly and well until 7pm and then don't eat for the next 16 hours, half of which you will spend sleeping. Repeat as needed. For me, 11-7 makes the most sense but any 8 hour period will do.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You body doesn't care when you eat, as long as it's getting the calories and nutrients it needs for survival. There are some caveats to this, but none have anything to do with weight loss, blood sugar or brain function. The only way diet with intermittent fasting would work is if it put you in a caloric deficit because you stopped eating as much.

Here are some very simple answers to the question of diets that are based on intermittent fasting.

1) Does intermittent fasting confer any additional benefit with respect to outcomes like weight loss, muscle gain, or "health" compared to a calorie matched diet without the fasting?
No.

2) Does intermittent fasting significantly improve compliance to a diet?
Not usually- the opposite is in fact mostly true...but every individual is different.

3) Does intermittent fasting alter the hormonal milieu in a way that produces better health or dietary-related outcomes?
No

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
You body doesn't care when you eat, as long as it's getting the calories and nutrients it needs for survival. There are some caveats to this, but none have anything to do with weight loss, blood sugar or brain function. The only way diet with intermittent fasting would work is if it put you in a caloric deficit because you stopped eating as much.
Absolutely. What 16:8 has taught me is that my body doesn't need as much.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Everybody is different and have differing dietary and nutritional needs. Unless a person is baselining their diet, tracking every individual macro and calorie, tracking their weight, measurements etc. and making minor adjustments (minimum effective dose) to caloric intake and macros to achieve the desired results than they aren't really doing anything specific to them or their health.

Most people get good results from manipulating meal timing, frequency, and food quality- whether the goals are weight maintenance, muscle gain, or almost always...weight loss. The crux of each of these fad "diets" out there is a strategy that somehow boosts the person’s compliance to the diet which results in a change in calories that produce a caloric deficit........which is the magic. At the end of the day all that's happened is they ate less calories.
^^This, exactly. Whether you call it keto, Atkins, paleo or Jenny Craig, the main effect of those systems is that you think a hell of a lot more about what you put in your body. The very act of paying attention will get most (but not all) people to eat less and eat more healthfully. If you can weed out some of the worst offenders yourself (HFCS, excess alcohol, processed sugars, industrial snack food, soda etc) and replace them with alterntives you'll get results, too. But you have to pay attention.

I don't have any direct experience with keto but a good friend of mine and his wife went on it last year and lost gobs of weight; in fact she lost too much and it f'ed with her metabolism.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Don’t eat a lot most days, eat healthy well balanced meals with some but not a ton of carbs, curb that sweet tooth, indulge in fine meals occasoianlly, but if you truly just keep your calorie intake down (not anorexic just low) you will lose weight. Keep exercising and surfing to keep the body mind and heart and lungs healthy, pig out on quality food if you are on a surf trip with 4-8 hours of surfing every day. I have dropped 30 lbs in a few months when I finally just focused on portion size. Like the kind of dramatic weight loss that practically had people worried.i just tell them “manorexia and a tape worm named tommy work wonders”

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
The best diet for losing weight is the one that you stick with
And reduces your caloric intake so that it’s less than the calories you burn

I’m having a diet issue
I like getting high, but when I get high, I have no self control once I start eating
I don’t think kenos going to help that
cowabunga
rg

Reactions: gbg