Can we talk about the failed experiment in American education we've been conducting for almost a year?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Cry me a river. So basically you get paid for 12 months for only working 9 months. You're off what at 3:30 every day. Sounds treacherous.
Before teaching I worked over 10 years in various aspects of construction. From being a grunt hauling lumber around a work site, to sanding sailboat hull moulds for 40 hours a week. I worked for custom furniture makers and did a bunch of remodel restoration work on historic homes. LABOR.

None of that compares to the exhaustion of trying to keep 40 13 year olds engaged in a lesson for 6 hours a day.

Don't talk about things you know nothing of. FUKER.:cursing:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Woke AF and afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Before teaching I worked over 10 years I various aspects of construction. From being a grunt hauling lumber around a work site, to sanding sailboat hull moulds for 40 hours a week. I worked for custom furniture makers and did a bunch of remodel restoration work on historic homes. LABOR.

None of that compares to the exhaustion of trying to keep 40 13 year olds engaged in a lesson for 6 hours a day.

Don't talk about things you know nothing of. FUKER.:cursing:
depends on the district you work in and how involved and responsible the parents are.

85% of student outcomes are driven by “outside of school“ factors.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I’d take data from a research source more seriously than an opinion piece
Catholic schools charge tuition so they can afford nicer things. They're also smaller than public schools so social distancing is easier. They're also a single school, not a district, so they're able to plan more easily.

Also, catholic schools pay their often non-credentialed teachers less than public schools and really just care about jesus stuff, raising money and sports.

Reactions: Woke AF

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Catholic schools charge tuition so they can afford nicer things. They're also smaller than public schools so social distancing is easier. They're also a single school, not a district, so they're able to plan more easily.

Also, catholic schools pay their often non-credentialed teachers less than public schools and really just care about jesus stuff, raising money and sports.
I went to Catholic school, I know how it works. I also know that the nuns are very smart, very caring and strive to do what’s right and good in the world. So if they’ve figured out something, other than the things you mentioned, I’d like to hear about it.

That WSJ opinion piece was devoid of any context and failed to provide any objective facts that would be of any use to anyone. The article was predicated on the authors’ own confirmation biases and his misrepresentations (for example, his assertion that teachers unions resent catholic schools.)

I’m not a religious person but I’d consider myself generally pro-Catholic school, however I’m not such a fan of the ones that are run by an all male faculty (I’m looking right at you, CBA).

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I went to Catholic school, I know how it works. I also know that the nuns are very smart, very caring and strive to do what’s right and good in the world. So if they’ve figured out something, other than the things you mentioned, I’d like to hear about it.

That WSJ opinion piece was devoid of any context and failed to provide any objective facts that would be of any use to anyone. The article was predicated on the authors’ own confirmation biases and his misrepresentations (for example, his assertion that teachers unions resent catholic schools.)

I’m not a religious person but I’d consider myself generally pro-Catholic school, however I’m not such a fan of the ones that are run by an all male faculty (I’m looking right at you, CBA).
Bru, nuns don’t teach at most Catholic schools anymore. I’m sure there some good ones, but my history with them is athletes and rich kids and nothing more.

irrrrregardless, small private schools aren’t instructive for large districts.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Bru, nuns don’t teach at most Catholic schools anymore. I’m sure there some good ones, but my history with them is athletes and rich kids and nothing more.

irrrrregardless, small private schools aren’t instructive for large districts.
Catholic school enrollment is also at historic lows, which could explain why they're able to stay open during the pandemic. 33% full classrooms is a good way to slow the spread.

I’d still like to see a scientific analysis of what’s working in parochial schools so everyone else can replicate it, but I also kind of doubt the assertion that catholic schools have worked miracles. Two schools near me have had to shut down periodically.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
i think you're missing the point of the comic, hal. the guidance coming from the CDC & the evidence are suggesting that kids are SAFER in school & that transmission rates are not what we thought they'd be back in the spring or september, but the teacher's unions are pushing back against reopening, using students as pawns in some kind of power play. & that fits w/ what i hear from my teacher friends...the teachers & the union are refusing to go back full tilt unless their demands are met. demands that don't necessarily make sense, given what a growing body of evidence suggests is (or isn't) happening.
Hal will deny that this is happening.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Did you read the article you posted? I’m guessing you did not.

The headline is very misleading, and it also discussed many of the issues I pointed out above.

A superintendent in one district does not exactly have the makings of a revolution.

Stop falling into your own logic traps, CJ.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Hal, we understand that most rank and file teachers do want to return. However, unions are fighting the return nationwide

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Someone has (TUDS). Teacher's union deraganment syndrome?

They are totally mind fucking you.

Just move on.

It's like all these people loosing their sh!t have never been through a global pandemic before.

Last edited:

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
What are the safety issues that the unions want addressed? Adequate ventilation has not been addressed in most schools. Telling people to “just suck it up and get into the classroom” really isn’t helpful.

Parents and Boards of Ed should be fighting to get teachers vaccinated.

Reactions: Woke AF

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It is weird how teachers are not in line to be vaccinated.

Given that the parents want to get the kids the F out of the house.

Kaiser's CEO keeps sending emails, telling people to quit asking when they will have vaccines.

They sent two so far this month.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

Just move on.

It's like all these people loosing their sh!t have never been through a global pandemic before.
did ifail even read the articles he posted?

what ever happened to “state and local governments should determine their own courses of action”?

should the federal government start intervening in state and local affairs?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Just move on.

Who has "TUDS".

Why do you feel the need to defend them when I'm simply presenting presumably factual articles without comment?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
did ifail even read the articles he posted?

what ever happened to “state and local governments should determine their own courses of action”?

should the federal government start intervening in state and local affairs?
Did I say anything otherwise? Government is always better when local

Those articles were presented, without comment, to refute your assertion that teacher's unions are not fighting returning to school

They were also presented without comment to see what you would invent what you think I'm thinking out of thin air