Can we talk about the failed experiment in American education we've been conducting for almost a year?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
my kids are getting better grades, home life is mostly chill, and I am not
schlepping these fkn assholes to practice 6 ways from sunday

literal fkn golden age

one of my kids belched loudly while I was talking on a zoom and I lit him
up and I may have been reported to HR for attempted infanticide.... \(oO)/
Better grades?

Of course they are. Do these better grades come as a result of better learning?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Parents, what are your experiences and thoughts?

Educators, what are your thoughts?

If we're to continue with either virtual learning or a hybrid of in-person and virtual learning, how can we improve upon what we're doing now, because the kids sure as fvvk aren't learning as much as they could or should be?
Back in school. Full time. Normal schedule. Vaccinate teachers. If they don’t want to work fire them and hire people who do want to work.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Back in school. Full time. Normal schedule. Vaccinate teachers. If they don’t want to work fire them and hire people who do want to work.
Not in teacher’s hands. and do what with the many families who don’t want to go back in person?

Better plan is just write the year off. No grades. Start fresh next fall.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Most schools are open,

Vaccinating teachers is one solution and we should be making that happen asap.

People not having pasta parties before sporting events would also be a step in the right direction.

People not traveling unnecessarily until we get everyone vaccinated so we can keep schools open is another suggestion.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Not in teacher’s hands. and do what with the many families who don’t want to go back in person?

Better plan is just write the year off. No grades. Start fresh next fall.
This year has been off. Kids haven’t been in school since before spring break last year.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
My district is already setting plans for hybrid/cohort teaching like current. Kids in class 2 hrs a day w/30 min recess. I guess they'll be used to the program and maybe that'll help, both teachers and students.
Teachers are also getting tested weekly now. I feel like my last yr 3rd grader in 4th this year and 5th next year just missed 1-2 yrs of education, but I also feel that when he gets older he will be fine.
It's going to take a while to get kids vaccinated too.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The motivated, high-achieving students are doing alright. They won't be left behind. The low-acieving unmotivated kids are falling farther behind, though. They constantly need somebody to ride their ass and make them learn and it's just not happening.

Some kids are suffering mentally but not in a higher percentage than the adult population, iMO.

People who think going back to face-to-face will just be like it was in pre-pandemic days are living in fantasyland. Maybe in a year, but not now. Hybrid will be tiny cohorts in masks sitting far apart doing what is basically online learning. No science labs, no collaborative projects, no teachers coming up to them to help them, heavy clampdown on kids socializing, way fewer hours of instruction per week, the whole works. Almost a third of the HS kids in my wife's district have chosen to just stay at home for the rest of the year, and that poll was taken back in Nov. before things got really bad,

Reactions: One-Off

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
The motivated, high-achieving students are doing alright. They won't be left behind. The low-acieving unmotivated kids are falling farther behind, though. They constantly need somebody to ride their ass and make them learn and it's just not happening.

Some kids are suffering mentally but not in a higher percentage than the adult population, iMO.

People who think going back to face-to-face will just be like it was in pre-pandemic days are living in fantasyland. Maybe in a year, but not now. Hybrid will be tiny cohorts in masks sitting far apart doing what is basically online learning. No science labs, no collaborative projects, no teachers coming up to them to help them, heavy clampdown on kids socializing, way fewer hours of instruction per week, the whole works. Almost a third of the HS kids in my wife's district have chosen to just stay at home for the rest of the year, and that poll was taken back in Nov. before things got really bad,

we tried a hybrid model, with cohorts and 4 hr school days with no in-person lumuch. Then in November the administration, in their infinite wisdom, decided to bring back all the kids for 4 hour school day, full classrooms.

Ever since then it’s been a constant sh!t show of contact tracing, shutting down sports, going on 2-week all-virtual school shut-downs, and a million other disruptions.

the kids in school barely have a pulse and don’t participate much (probably due to the awkwardness of masks and lack of socialization) and the kids at home on camera are literally asleep.

you can’t do labs, you can’t do group activities, you can’t have good group discussions, it’s really quite boring for everyone.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
At-home learning is trash, the only way forward is to go back to school normally

Stayhoomers have the blood of a whole generation on their hands

School is back to normal in our district, and many others. Just like what you're saying is "fantasyland"

Your California brainwashing is showing