Can we talk about the failed experiment in American education we've been conducting for almost a year?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You tried being normal for a minute, CJ, but you’re such an asshole that you couldn’t help yourself.

this is why I’ve turned down every offer to meet you in person. because you’re a dick who I’d have nothing to say to.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Started out as a normal, rational conversation.

Then CJ and ifall brought their shrillness hyperpartisan tropes.
The conversation still is normal and rational

Asserting something like IT CAN NEVER GO BACK TO NORMAL is irrational and myopic

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
The conversation still is normal and rational

Asserting something like IT CAN NEVER GO BACK TO NORMAL is irrational and myopic
I never said stuff isn’t going back to normal. And yes. It is myopic. This is a short-term, temporary thing.

Humans act out of a need for safety and security. It’s evolution. Look it up some time.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I never said stuff isn’t going back to normal. And yes. It is myopic. This is a short-term, temporary thing.

Humans act out of a need for safety and security. It’s evolution. Look it up some time.
I know you didn't say that, Hammies did. That's why I quoted his post

Acting out of safety/security is only one of many, many stimuli that humans act out in reaction to. There are also various level of safety and security that people feel safe and secure at. We're allowing the peopel who always feel the least safe and secure to dictate too much to the rest of us

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I guess I’m scared that you might show me up with a knees completely unbent 5-point cutback and post a pic of it from SurfLie rewind.

or that you might throw all your enormous weight into a backside snap.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
16 of my 20 years of “institutional” education were public.

Even though I agree public school may not be the best way, was a staunch supporter of my tax dollars working for my kids in public school.

Pandemic hit, discussed it with my wife (16/16 private) and went private. Best decision.

Reactions: crustBrother

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
16 of my 20 years of “institutional” education were public.

Even though I agree public school may not be the best way, was a staunch supporter of my tax dollars working for my kids in public school.

Pandemic hit, discussed it with my wife (16/16 private) and went private. Best decision.

it’s a comic therefore it must be true.

most schools in the US are open.

nice attempt at a Red Herring, though. Keep trying, you’ll get there.

also, that’s a checker board. what fvckin moron uses a checkerboard to make a chess analogy?

• Dislike
Reactions: GromsDad

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ

also, that’s a checker board. what fvckin moron uses a checkerboard to make a chess analogy?
Of course ita true, it’s on the erBb. I get jokes, satire. Don’t miss the trees for the forest.

right, most schools are “open”, like most of us are alive!

irrespective if they’re “open” via hybrid, two half days in person and three days zooMing Is no comparison. It’s a joke.

Reactions: Ifallalot

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4

i think you're missing the point of the comic, hal. the guidance coming from the CDC & the evidence are suggesting that kids are SAFER in school & that transmission rates are not what we thought they'd be back in the spring or september, but the teacher's unions are pushing back against reopening, using students as pawns in some kind of power play. & that fits w/ what i hear from my teacher friends...the teachers & the union are refusing to go back full tilt unless their demands are met. demands that don't necessarily make sense, given what a growing body of evidence suggests is (or isn't) happening.

Reactions: GromsDad

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
i think you're missing the point of the comic, hal. the guidance coming from the CDC & the evidence are suggesting that kids are SAFER in school & that transmission rates are not what we thought they'd be back in the spring or september, but the teacher's unions are pushing back against reopening, using students as pawns in some kind of power play. & that fits w/ what i hear from my teacher friends...the teachers & the union are refusing to go back full tilt unless their demands are met. demands that don't necessarily make sense, given what a growing body of evidence suggests is (or isn't) happening.

I don’t know how it’s playing out in other states but that’s not what’s happening in NJ.

Every teacher wants to get back to normal school.

What demands are they making? What’s the end game?

Something tells me this narrative is the product of the framing effect.

Reactions: Truth

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
demands that don't necessarily make sense,
teachers would prefer to be in the classroom. if teachers were respected as much as 'essential workers' and allowed to become vaccinated they would not push back.
that dont necessarily make sense, given what a growing body of evidence suggests is (or isn't) happening.
what the fck does that even mean? COVID is a nothing burger for someone in a school of 1700 students and that someone interacts directly in a small room w/ 136 of them throughout the day? Not to mention all the other interactions each day? 5 days a week.
just another example of how teachers are treated like sht.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
so far the ”demands“ to which people are referring involve providing teachers with appropriate PPE, de-crowding classrooms, providing adequate ventilation, getting vaccines, and conducting appropriate contact tracing.

would anyone argue that these are unreasonable demands?

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
so far the ”demands“ to which people are referring involve providing teachers with appropriate PPE, de-crowding classrooms, providing adequate ventilation, getting vaccines, and conducting appropriate contact tracing.

would anyone argue that these are unreasonable demands?
good lord. there are districts IN NJ, you know-where i live & work-that are actively resisting returning to the classroom, even w/ safety precautions like the ones you mention in place. how is that reasonable? the vaccine has been available to the general public for about the last month here. there's nothing stopping anyone from signing up to get it.
& what PPE do you want teachers to wear? masks? gowns? gloves & a faceshield? should they be dressed up like ER nurses all day?
we were practically BEGGING trump & his supporters to "listen to the science" all this time. well, here it is-there is absolutely zero reason why public school teachers can't be in the classroom like the majority of catholic & private schools are. as i've previously mentioned in this thread, my 4yo has been doing in-person pre-k since september. he wears a mask, washes his hands, there are plexiglass barriers on the tables where he eats lunch. hell, he's better w/ the mask than a lot of the adults i know. he has yet to bring home so much as a sniffle.
& don't get me wrong-i'm well aware that covid isn't always a "nothing burger"; i work in EMS. i've been up to my eyeballs in this thing for the last 10 months & have seen what it can do. but when the science is showing us that there are more benefits than risks to kids being in the classroom, it's time to listen to the science & get back in there.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
good lord. there are districts IN NJ, you know-where i live & work-that are actively resisting returning to the classroom, even w/ safety precautions like the ones you mention in place. how is that reasonable? the vaccine has been available to the general public for about the last month here. there's nothing stopping anyone from signing up to get it.
& what PPE do you want teachers to wear? masks? gowns? gloves & a faceshield? should they be dressed up like ER nurses all day?
we were practically BEGGING trump & his supporters to "listen to the science" all this time. well, here it is-there is absolutely zero reason why public school teachers can't be in the classroom like the majority of catholic & private schools are. as i've previously mentioned in this thread, my 4yo has been doing in-person pre-k since september. he wears a mask, washes his hands, there are plexiglass barriers on the tables where he eats lunch. hell, he's better w/ the mask than a lot of the adults i know. he has yet to bring home so much as a sniffle.
& don't get me wrong-i'm well aware that covid isn't always a "nothing burger"; i work in EMS. i've been up to my eyeballs in this thing for the last 10 months & have seen what it can do. but when the science is showing us that there are more benefits than risks to kids being in the classroom, it's time to listen to the science & get back in there.
Well I have signed up and at the current rate I will get my shots in October.
I see private schools open and close and test and close and try to open again and test and close. What does the science say about that for kids?

Nobody is disputing that kids need to be with their peers and taught in person. Distance learning is not educational. And time can not be made up for kids.

making anyone go into a situation of hundreds of kids when they are not vaccinated is bullshit.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
which districts, specifically, are resisting opening?

you can currently sign up to be on a list of people to get the vaccine but teachers, who are part of phase 1B, have not been allowed to get vaccinated unless they are in a high-risk category. get your facts straight.

teachers should be provided masks, and the teachers who have to be in close proximity to kids, like ESL and special-ed teachers, should also get face shields. Stop being obtuse.

a few catholic schools near me have had to shut down periodically due to outbreaks (not sure if it was from within the school or from outside school activities), so theyre in the same boat as public schools.

I don’t think there‘s enough data currently to make the conclusion that schools aren’t causing the virus to spread. that claim seems to be largely narrative-based.

even the cdc has shown that the jury is out on that topic. https://www.chalkbeat.org/2021/2/2/22262837/cdc-studies-school-reopening-wisconsin-covid-safety

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
This thread's a trip.

Districts didn't expect this to last past last summer, so they didn't do any real planning.

By then, the "back to school" and the "keep them home" camps were clearly set, and both were vocal.

Boards tried to make everyone happy, which means nobody was made happy.

Distance learning is horrible for everyone but the most committed kids. It's equally bad for teachers, and in particular, special ed teachers, who still have legal requirements to deal with. Poor kids don't have internet connection or laptops. Others have both parents working.

Some teachers are cool and understand late work is better than no work. That on line with camera off is better than not there at all. Other teachers aren't cool. You can tell the teachers who don't have kids of their own.

There's no saving this year. Hopefully colleges will just overlook it for anyone in HS now. If we really cared about the kids, we'd let them skip the rest of the year and find a way for club sports to be back up and running.

Reactions: hal9000 and afoaf