Can We Talk About Jordan Peterson Crying (literally) about Individualism?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I disagree with this

he has spoken to this point directly

his words are a reflection of his ideas and positions; he has outlined what men need to focus
on to be successful and he has certainly spoken out against bad actors when people attempt
to pin the actions of others on him.

I don't know what the fascination is here with the virtue signaling...do we expect him to publish
a video overtly saying "Tariq Nasheed is a moron"?

in this forum, silence on a matter seems to be automatically interpreted as implicit support instead
of just plain old silence....we can't expect everyone to go on record regarding every post or every
article...in the same way I don't expect Jordan Peterson to do it when Richard Spencer lifts a quote
and inserts it in to some gross rant.
I am speculating on the situation, but if I was doing something that others were using to do bad things I would change what I was doing or address it more directly until they stopped.

An extreme example would be Oppenheimer and Einstein w/ nuclear weapons.

It just comes down to taking responsibility for your actions no matter what your intent was/is.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I disagree with this

his words are a reflection of his ideas and positions; he has outlined what men need to focus
on to be successful and he has certainly spoken out against bad actors when people attempt

I don't know what the fascination is here with the virtue signaling...do we expect him to publish

in this forum, silence on a matter seems to be automatically interpreted as implicit support instead
of just plain old silence....we can't expect everyone to go on record regarding every post or every
article...in the same way I don't expect Jordan Peterson to do it when Richard Spencer lifts a quote
I get what you're saying and I would agree if that person wasn't JP.

Here's an analogy for you.

Marx, who was a philosopher and a sociologist first and foremost, didn't have Stalin in mind when he wrote Das Kapital, yet somehow he helped create the monster.

He can't be entirely blamed for the consequences of his ideas but he also kind of can be.
At least JP fans like to think so. Grapedrink especially.

Kind of like the authors of the Bible didn't have Southern Baptists in mind when they wrote it.

JP went a step further and monetized the monster he created.

Why is it that nobody has even heard of Haidt, who's ideas don't differ from JP's?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
It just comes down to taking responsibility for your actions no matter what your intent was/is.
I think your point is fair. I get it. I think he has taken responsibility (to some degree) and if you
listen/read what he is saying you will see that he's not really playing on ambiguity or pushing
boundaries beyond some rather pedestrian PC orthodoxy.

JP went a step further and monetized the monster he created.
I don't see this

He has enjoyed a wider audience for his ideas and views because they have been popularized
by some groups that some may find unsavory, but I do not believe that he is pumping his rhetoric
to pander to said audience.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
My aim is to help the kids.

I get frustrated when people thwart me from doing that.
I was shocked by my first real public education(and only) job. Doing what is best for each student was way down on the official responsibilities list.
Never regretted leaving that shthole.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Did you read that? I just gave it a quick scan but the only JP quote in that that I found was "stand up straight."

Are you pissed because he's getting paid?

I wish somebody would throw up quotes or video of JP going Full Hitler.

I'm not saying it isn't there, I haven't looked too hard at all, but I'm beginning to doubt that it is actually there.
He explains why he turned to Patreon - to capitalize on his fanbase of young, white, angry males/incels because YT was not paying him enough.

It proves that he knows very well who his audience is what he's doing and has no shame admitting it.

He meekly speaks against these elements, knowing that that's what made him rich.

There's a reason why ifailalots of this world gather around JP and not Haidt. He knows this very well.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I disagree with this

I never heard of the guy, why didn’t you clue me in?

As for the rest, exactly. My time is too valuable.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Does Jordan Peterson exhort his adherents to use rolling smiley faces all the time?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
telling them they don't have to write in proper english is NOT helping kids

WTF is that sh!t?
Language is fluid
It evolves
Doth thou yearn to harken back to the days of yore and speak in the manner of Shakespeare?
F*ck that sh*t, man

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
To claim that JP doesn't know his audience, whether he's pandering to them or not, and that he didn't purposefully monetize it, is disingenuous IMO.

His attempts at distancing himself from the far right hate groups are always very meek.

Never bite the hand that feeds you.

• Haha

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
To claim that JP doesn't know his audience, whether he's pandering to them or not, and that he didn't purposefully monetize it, is disingenuous IMO.
he's an author. monetization is the very name of the game.

I don't see him setting up a booth at the Proud Boy Boogaloo to slang books about venerating
the housewife.

His attempts at distancing himself from the far right hate groups are always very meek.
this seems subjective

I've watched a few of his interviews and some of the panel discussions and when the
subject is broached he seems pretty unambiguous in his denunciations.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Language is fluid
It evolves
Doth thou yearn to harken back to the days of yore and speak in the manner of Shakespeare?
F*ck that sh*t, man
I say break the rules for a reason.

But don't break the rules because you don't have mastery over them in a class where you are trying to learn how to write.

Form is one of the inherent elements to a formal education.

"Learn of the skillful; he that teaches himself hath a fool for a master."

Last edited:
Reactions: afoaf