Can We Talk About Jordan Peterson Crying (literally) about Individualism?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The weird thing is how temperament shapes what you fear.

JP's fear is a corrupt collectivism.

It biases how he sees everything.

Does he really have a new book?

The funny thing about the last book is it's basically it's the same theme as Autobiography of Ben Franklin.

Self Actualize/regulate through discipline.

Jocko wrote a book with the same theme.

I guess every generation needs to be exposed to that idea in a palatable way.

I think everyone know the what already.

It's the how that they really need.

Answer: Buy my book! :dancing: :trout:

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Winter before last I rented a place at Tahoe. Someone left a Peterson book behind. To see what the fuss was about I read the first three or four chapters. It all seemed like pretty common sense, make your bed, don't tell lies and be a good human stuff. Apparently the chapter excoriating transexuals was chapter 6 or something.
Mein Kampf is all common sense until you get to the chapter about the Jews.

Jordan tarnished his reputation by playing to the hate groups who use his words as a justification for discriminating against others.

And he used that for financial gain.
That's why people don't like him.

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I believe most of the fuss around him has arisen as a result of the way in which
some groups have employed his name and arguments to lend credence to their
own.
This. ^

To add, he plays to those groups knowingly and became rich doing it. That's my issue with him.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This. ^

To add, he plays to those groups knowingly and became rich doing it. That's my issue with him.
I don't think he does it knowingly.

I think he's under the effect of his own framing effect.

It still trips me out how his fame made him sick.

It's hard to have that many people hate you.

He's too sensitive for that.

He needs a temperament like trump to endure it.

I think there is a lot of frames colliding going on.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Mein Kampf is all common sense until you get to the chapter about the Jews.
I went to a very progressive high school but they did have that book in the library. Tried to read it out of curiosity. Oh man what a pile of crap. So poorly written and boring. I made it a few pages in (not even as far as Babbitt) before returning it to its rightful place. If there was common sense in, I didn't get that far. Reading Shirer's book Rise and Fall of Third Reich, sounds like it was required (or close to it) to have a copy of Mein Kampf in every home but almost no one read it because it was trash.

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I don't think he does it knowingly.

I think he's under the effect of his own framing effect.

It still trips me out how his fame made him sick.

It's hard to have that many people hate you.

He's too sensitive for that.

He needs a temperament like trump to endure it.

I think there is a lot of frames colliding going on.
I think he knows very well that his words became popular with hate groups who use them to push the agenda of their own.

I mean, when he got his check from Patreon, that must have been a clue?

Talking to his "fans" as he calls them made him a lot of money and he made a conscious effort to spur certain segment of his fanbase.

Like you've said, Haidt, although saying the same thing, would never be a YT star, so how is JP different? Whinier voice?

Here it is in JP's own words:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019

Did you read that? I just gave it a quick scan but the only JP quote in that that I found was "stand up straight."

Are you pissed because he's getting paid?

I wish somebody would throw up quotes or video of JP going Full Hitler.

I'm not saying it isn't there, I haven't looked too hard at all, but I'm beginning to doubt that it is actually there.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The right likes that he went after the left.

But there is crazy stuff going on on the left.

I got a email last week saying that students shouldn't be forced to write in standard English.

That is fucking madness.

All the SJW stuff in the academy is about virtue signaling and making power grabs.

Good teaching is anti racist.

I got all these climbers and virus signalers with less experience than I telling me how to do my job.

If you call BS, they can frame you as not wanting to help non whites.

So it just feels weird. And I'm an old leftist hippy. So I see how the conservative temperament sees this stuff.

Then they use to justify their untoward behavior.

What I told the committee, who was asking for feedback, was don't give the right wingers ammo to cry foul.

If you want to help non white kids, decrease tuition and decrease classroom size.

They are like, n-word, please!

They won't listen.

I'm no body. :dancing:

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
This. ^

I disagree with this.

I haven't seen instances where he's speaking at the Proud Boy convention

he did get buttonholed for having his photo taken with some dipshits once

there are plenty of cases where sound scientific theory has been co-opted for nefarious ends

Reactions: grapedrink

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
The right likes that he went after the left.

But there is crazy stuff going on on the left.

I got a email last week saying that students shouldn't be forced to write in standard English.

That is fucking madness.

All the SJW stuff in the academy is about virtue signaling and making power grabs.

Good teaching is anti racist.

I got all these climbers and virus signalers with less experience than I telling me how to do my job.

If you call BS, they can frame you as not wanting to help non whites.

So it just feels weird. And I'm an old leftist hippy. So I see how the conservative temperament sees this stuff.

Then they use to justify their untoward behavior.

What I told the committee, who was asking for feedback, was don't give the right wingers ammo to cry foul.

If you want to help non white kids, decrease tuition and decrease classroom size.

They are like, n-word, please!

They won't listen.

I'm no body.
But you are not following your own position of staying the middle ground. idiots arise all over the spectrum. they will come and go. not getting triggered is the key.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I disagree with this.

I haven't seen instances where he's speaking at the Proud Boy convention

he did get buttonholed for having his photo taken with some dipshits once

there are plenty of cases where sound scientific theory has been co-opted for nefarious ends
He identifies his admirers clearly and they see it. For example, young lost males... but he doesn't admonish them when they do 'bad things'.
Reckless at the least. Give some idiots matches and fuel...
Not my responsibility...

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
But you are not following your own position of staying the middle ground. idiots arise all over the spectrum. they will come and go. not getting triggered is the key.
I know you guys think I'm this super smart good looking guy who never gets phased by nothing but I'm only human, like everyone else.

I love to teach and when I see BS in the academy it triggers.

I'm never going to get rid of that, nor do I even want to.

95% of the time I keep my mouth shut and do my work.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I think he knows very well that his words became popular with hate groups who use them to push the agenda of their own.

I mean, when he got his check from Patreon, that must have been a clue?

Talking to his "fans" as he calls them made him a lot of money and he made a conscious effort to spur certain segment of his fanbase.

Like you've said, Haidt, although saying the same thing, would never be a YT star, so how is JP different? Whinier voice?

$80K a month as a Youtube guidance counselor

:oops:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
... but he doesn't admonish them when they do 'bad things'.
I disagree with this

he has spoken to this point directly

his words are a reflection of his ideas and positions; he has outlined what men need to focus
on to be successful and he has certainly spoken out against bad actors when people attempt
to pin the actions of others on him.

I don't know what the fascination is here with the virtue signaling...do we expect him to publish
a video overtly saying "Tariq Nasheed is a moron"?

in this forum, silence on a matter seems to be automatically interpreted as implicit support instead
of just plain old silence....we can't expect everyone to go on record regarding every post or every
article...in the same way I don't expect Jordan Peterson to do it when Richard Spencer lifts a quote
and inserts it in to some gross rant.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I know you guys think I'm this super smart good looking guy who never gets phased by nothing but I'm only human, like everyone else.

I love to teach and when I see BS in the academy it triggers.

I'm never going to get rid of that, nor do I even want to.

95% of the time I keep my mouth shut and do my work.
I think it is ok to get triggered. It's bad when it distorts your aim.