kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Hey @Scott Ando, do the RTM CI Tech 5 fin single tab fins come with the Bobby Quad rears or the traditional AM rears? Looks like the Bobby Quad rears on the website but there are no specs and wanted to check. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Is anyone ripping the 2.pro yet? I like the two happy. It's a pretty solid all-around shortboard but I don't feel like it's my favorite ever. Kind of want to give this one a shot.
it looks really good to me. just found out about it a couple days ago though so I haven't felt one up or anything.

i imagine it's quite different from the Happy Everyday since it's just the CI Pro with 1/4 less rocker. No added outline width or anything, right?

Reactions: j_mac

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Is anyone ripping the 2.pro yet? I like the two happy. It's a pretty solid all-around shortboard but I don't feel like it's my favorite ever. Kind of want to give this one a shot.
I got one a month ago. Store credit semi-yolo. I wasn't even really thinking about this one; was going to look at a local shape, the Pyzel Wildcat, and the Twin Pin. Just pulled it to check it out and was really surprised how approachable it looked. Took it on a trip. Most of the time it was pretty bumpy and cutbacky. Smallest surf was stomach to chest and largest was overhead. Rock reefs.

Paddles around and in pretty good to me.
Is UL glass job but so far, holding up way, way better than the only other CI I've ever owned, a UL biscuit.
Had several lurching takeoffs - not heaving but 15s hitting boulders after three weeks of small-flat Florida, and it felt good.
Surfed one session at a kind of beginner wave with weird cross ribs but some taper on it, and was surprised how well it went in what was definitely the lowlight of the trip surf-wise.

Jury's still out because I haven't really had it out in lippy surf, but it feels like it could be a winner. A more HPSB could easily feel bad at chasing around waves and getting into position in somewhat shifty surf. It could feel really boggish keeping speed though a cutback. It could really not want to get in, generate a little, and connect dots in smaller bumpylump.

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Hey @Scott Ando, do the RTM CI Tech 5 fin single tab fins come with the Bobby Quad rears or the traditional AM rears? Looks like the Bobby Quad rears on the website but there are no specs and wanted to check. Thanks
The newer yellow/black CI techs do have the "stubbier" quad trailer fins that were developed on the Bobby Quad. Standard AM leads

The old Futures Tech Flex (Orange w/carbon) have the original AM quad trailers that have more rake.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
2.Pro update - note I am 6'2" but fatty and mine is a 6'6" didn't mention that in previous post. Stance is pretty stanked out.

Fin note - I used the ancient, large white OG FCS Fiberglass GAM-1s in previous review, and the FCS2 DHD Large in this one. Will be very interested to max out rake in cutback sections and try the Pyzel Large (upright pockety pivoty) in lips.

wall of text tl;dr
Another check in the balanced and approachable box for this shape. Now for El Nino to hopefully kick off Winter Norths in September, get some beachbreak surf I'm more familiar with. Recurving hurricanes dealing out crowd-thinning beatings vs inconsistent flatter-faced walls also highly welcome.

--------------------

Previously only really had one clean session on previous trip (maiden voyage by desk jockey after a work day, six hour drive, red eye, one hour drive, session with nothing but knee high log surfing for a month leading up to it), then generally between medium+ bumpy to very bumpy.

Went good in decently offshore, textured+ side/on, and pristine wind condition cobblestone point surf. The sample size of vertical re-entry lippy surf is still insufficient - I stepped up a notch at the beach because I'm scared and wanted maxpaddle - but there were a couple point sections allowing this and it felt good in them. More notes

* Being a generic middle aged kook practiced in shitty beachbreak, there were a fair few times I went to and came off the bottom expecting more lip up the top, and had to sort of call an audible to a speed-maintaining top turn or finesse-y snappy unfucking of poor line choice vs what I thought might be a projection snap/re-entry. It didn't feel too stuck or boggy getting me out of the sitchyation I got myself into.

* Reiterate feels very good to me getting into waves. The strongest offshore was nearing/at desk jockey intermediates held up in the lip (but NOT thick spray plumes Santa Ana) range, and the texture+ was prone to relaxed wave face. Spun quite a bit from lower priority when others who sort of didn't get in/under and missed it and she went. Got in and down on (and gave a solid account of itself pumping across and pocket-hunting) some of the more going out to sea ones. We're strongly considering A+ grading on the HPSB curve getting in.

* Got a sh!t-ton of opportunities for roundhouses, less complete cutbacks to the base vs the foam or lip, sort of down-carve transitions, and more on rail top turns vs chuck it up + twist shoulders down the line and lip/leg follow through sort it out vertical stuff. And the pumping a fatty who'd pick something with less tail rocker and/or a wider tail block, and reads point surf about as well as he reads vodka runes requires to outrun cobblestone point sections on more of a lippy wave board.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Anyone has ridden the G skt and the Bobby quad? How they compare?
I've ridden a g-skate here in Norcal and in El Salvador. Super fun board for when the waves are pretty week, very responsive (probably bc of the pulled in tail). Haven't gotten a chance to ride it in the bigger stuff yet

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've had the 2.Pro out a couple times at home. It's 2" longer and 1L more than my Cabron Warp Baby Buggy which I've grabbed more often so far this September - it is North Florida after all.

Prelim messy very onshore too East/wants more North winds and harder-than-normal to pick off Mayport blowout reinforced previous impressions - pretty user friendly.

I was undecided on a Sunday morning chestish high day with good angled-off SSW winds but a tide situation that sort of screams South Side of the Pier - minus the mob scene. I'd buckled my PJHP the day before.

I said screw it let's try the board in something maybe more bottom end.

The board felt good. Got some chances to go a little more top to bottom in small, clean surf with some more curve than the local windslop, and trip cobblestone point/bumpy open-water rock reef surf I've had it in to date.

View attachment 20230917_095932-min.jpg

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Parker witb the footage flipped so he’s a natural foot, FTW.

bobby is the only goofy I enjoy watching backhand. I could watch his approach to rights all day.

• Love
Reactions: ReForest