Can we talk about Channel Islands?

May 10, 2018
I believe Onboard have the licence to make CI boards here in Oz. From memory they have factories around Byron and in Mona Vale.

They've been around for a while - I imagine they will continue making CI's here unless CI bumps up the licensing fee or decides to take control of the business.
Yep Onboard at Mona Vale still do the CI's. Spinetek done in a different factory though.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Yep Onboard at Mona Vale still do the CI's. Spinetek done in a different factory though.
The CI mid twins, twin pins and Mids with colour work are also being done at Surman surfboards, Maroochydore.
Still curious about where the Balinese factory boards will be sold?
It's not like CI don't do OS already with Surftechs and Torq boards.

May 10, 2018
The CI mid twins, twin pins and Mids with colour work are also being done at Surman surfboards, Maroochydore.
Still curious about where the Balinese factory boards will be sold?
It's not like CI don't do OS already with Surftechs and Torq boards.
Probably just Bali and maybe Asia? There is a CI store in Seminyak and Padang / Bingin area

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Probably just Bali and maybe Asia? There is a CI store in Seminyak and Padang / Bingin area
The Bali CI factory and CI Bali retail shops are run/owned by Onboard Australia. The same Mona Vale based crew that has built CI's in Australia since the early 1990s.
Chris "Cutch" is the head shaper, and most of the staff are Aus transplants.
They do export at times back to Aus, Japan, and a few boards came to the USA during the Covid boom. This supply chain is complimentary to locally built boards when demand exceeds capacity.

The vast majority of their sales come through the Seminyak and Padang stores, they do pretty well.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
The Bali CI factory and CI Bali retail shops are run/owned by Onboard Australia. The same Mona Vale based crew that has built CI's in Australia since the early 1990s.
Chris "Cutch" is the head shaper, and most of the staff are Aus transplants.
They do export at times back to Aus, Japan, and a few boards came to the USA during the Covid boom. This supply chain is complimentary to locally built boards when demand exceeds capacity.

The vast majority of their sales come through the Seminyak and Padang stores, they do pretty well.
Thanks for the clarification. What's the pricing like there compared to Australia?

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Cheers. Worth keeping in mind for those heading to Bali to avoid the 3 or more board tax hit on arrival there or even pre ordering stock boards so don’t even have to bring any and collect there.
How does this tax work? Is it just on arrival or departure as well? Going next year and thinking of just ordering a couple there and return with them

May 10, 2018
Cheers. Worth keeping in mind for those heading to Bali to avoid the 3 or more board tax hit on arrival there or even pre ordering stock boards so don’t even have to bring any and collect there.
When did this get introduced? I've been going almost every year since 2000 and always take 3-4 boards. Last visit was in October last year. Never paid a tax? Are you talking about specific airlines?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
What model is this? I wanna buy it. Cheap and 43,4 litars :love:

1687007176713.png1687007207159.png

Edit:

I found out. It's called Average Joe, but I believe someone riding a 43l 5'11" is somewhat above average in BMI and below average in SMI(Shred Mass Index).

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
What model is this? I wanna buy it. Cheap and 43,4 litars :love:

View attachment 156537View attachment 156538

Edit:

I found out. It's called Average Joe, but I believe someone riding a 43l 5'11" is somewhat above average in BMI and below average in SMI(Shred Mass Index).
Average Joes came out years ago, around the same era as the Fred Rubble. It was decent, but I had better small wave boards than that one. It went best for me with Mayhem Split Keels, ymmv

Reactions: Havoc

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Thanks!

Would you run it with this fin setup?

View attachment 156546
I’m positive CI isn’t as progressive when it comes to longboards as Dane Perlee at Osprey is. But goddamn…that Demon went sooo good at 1st Point during that south swell we had couple weeks ago. Fastest trimming 8’0 I’ve EVER ridden. A bit tracky for my first and only sesh so far, but nothing a little getting used to won’t fix.
IMG_2509.jpegIMG_2506.jpegIMG_2511.jpeg

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I’m positive CI isn’t as progressive when it comes to longboards as Dane Perlee is. But goddamn…that Demon went sooo good at 1st Point during that south swell we had couple weeks ago. Fastest trimming 8’0 I’ve EVER ridden. A bit tracky for my first and only sesh so far, but nothing a little getting used to won’t fix.
View attachment 156557View attachment 156558View attachment 156559
pretty sure northern shores is just aroused by the green alien pepis fin

• Haha
Reactions: waxurDyl