CA orders mask mandate

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Here is some actual science!
Done by people who know more about this stuff than anybody here, I am certain.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@VonMeister This is what I mean. They can churn out junk science and shift goalposts indefinitely. "The goal of vaccines is to prevent hospitalization!" "Now the goal is to prevent infection!" "The vaccines no longer prevent infection, so we need masks!" "The vaccine boosters don't stop Omicron infections, so we need masks and shutdowns!"
Here is some actual science!
Done by people who know more about this stuff than anybody here, I am certain.

Junk science. Omitted first wave. Didn't adjust mortality for the median age of a state. Never defined a "case." Is it an infection with hospitalization or not? A million other confounding factors.

Age-adjusted mortality in CA was identical to FL despite widely-varying NPIs (look it up yourself). The best cluster RCT on masking was the bangladesh study which found that surgical masks reduced transmission 11% in an unvaccinated population. The other NPIs haven't been studied with well-designed studies. The biggest effect is vaccination, not NPIs.

Really, you quoted this to justify what you've been doing all along, which is wearing a mask. You'll wear it forever. You'll still get COVID, it will be a mild case due to your shots, and you'll tell yourself it would've been worse without a mask. Then, if anything, you'll die of a heart attack due to being overweight and not exercising and shuffling between the restaurant and the TV. 1 in 6 die that way in this country. That will be ironic. But at least you didn't die of the coof, though you may die with it.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Wrong.

This is either old information that has been debunked or a straight up lie.

In conclusion, our study suggests that asymptomatic cases are unlikely to contribute substantially to the spread of SARS-CoV-2. COVID-19 cases should be detected and managed early to quarantine close contacts immediately and prevent presymptomatic transmissions.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Wrong.

This is either old information that has been debunked or a straight up lie.

In conclusion, our study suggests that asymptomatic cases are unlikely to contribute substantially to the spread of SARS-CoV-2. COVID-19 cases should be detected and managed early to quarantine close contacts immediately and prevent presymptomatic transmissions.
Why does spread matter if we have immunity preventing hospitalization from vaccines or previous infection? I thought the goal was to keep people from dying, and the vaccines do that now.

Reactions: Ifallalot

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Junk science. Omitted first wave. Didn't adjust mortality for the median age of a state. Never defined a "case." Is it an infection with hospitalization or not? A million other confounding factors.

Age-adjusted mortality in CA was identical to FL despite widely-varying NPIs (look it up yourself). The best cluster RCT on masking was the bangladesh study which found that surgical masks reduced transmission 11% in an unvaccinated population. The other NPIs haven't been studied with well-designed studies. The biggest effect is vaccination, not NPIs.

Really, you quoted this to justify what you've been doing all along, which is wearing a mask. You'll wear it forever. You'll still get COVID, it will be a mild case due to your shots, and you'll tell yourself it would've been worse without a mask. Then, if anything, you'll die of a heart attack due to being overweight and not exercising and shuffling between the restaurant and the TV. 1 in 6 die that way in this country. That will be ironic. But at least you didn't die of the coof, though you may die with it.
The principal investigator's names are Seema Lakdawala, a professor of microbiology at the University of Pittsburgh, and Rebecca Nugent, a data science professor at Carnegie-Mellon. But what do they know compared to you??? I am sure in a debate you'd rip them to shreds with the impressive body of knowledge you have at your fingertips.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The principal investigator's names are Seema Lakdawala, a professor of microbiology at the University of Pittsburgh, and Rebecca Nugent, a data science professor at Carnegie-Mellon. But what do they know compared to you??? I am sure in a debate you'd rip them to shreds with the impressive body of knowledge you have at your fingertips.
Your county has a 7 day average of 45 cases at the moment. Probably most of those are among unvaccinated and clustered in certain demographics.

Do you really think it makes sense to expect everyone to wear a mask because 1 in 40k is sick? If you want to for your own protection, fine, but do you really think it should be required?

It’s about as dumb as wearing a condom in public because you are afraid of getting AIDS.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
"HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THESE FELLOW TEACHERS?!?!" They didn't write the paper. Their grad students and PhD candidates did the work and they slapped their name on it. Aside from that, most published research findings are false. The United States churns out a large VOLUME of research that is mostly wrong. Instead it needs to focus on QUALITY. Check the Google Scholar rankings of both researchers and get back to us on the quality of both.

At this point, I need to admonish you as I would any other older man derelict in his duties. You have to set the example for younger men in courage, manliness, humility, and self-sacrifice. You have done almost the exact opposite for these past two years, and likely your whole life. You need to immediately repent of your cowardice, effeminacy, arrogance, and selfishness. Instead of acting like a petulant little b1tch, you need to realize that you're going to die at some point - sooner, rather than later, given your age and likely poor health. Making peace with eternity and the Almighty will strengthen your courage. Realize that the world does not revolve around you and there are trade-offs to things like masks and other NPIs that only make you feel safe. The world is a dangerous place, but it really can't be made much safer for people like you. We younger men and our children need to get on with life. Find your balls, sir. Realize that you worked in a protected industry without fear of layoffs or firing for performance has dulled your wits. Develop an intellectual life and learn to think. This will humble you.

In short, start acting like a man and stop being a weasel.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Went to Targe' yesterday in the more conservative part of the county. Seemed liked 25% were maskless, and the employees weren't bothering anyone over it. #resist

Reactions: Rlacey111

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Went to Targe' yesterday in the more conservative part of the county. Seemed liked 25% were maskless, and the employees weren't bothering anyone over it. #resist
Way back in Spring of 2020, Gavin Newsom said we'd go back to normal when we had vaccines and therapeutics. Here we are 1 year into having both, and we're not back to normal even though hospitalization is low due to vaccines. He needs to be held to his word.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Your county has a 7 day average of 45 cases at the moment. Probably most of those are among unvaccinated and clustered in certain demographics.

Do you really think it makes sense to expect everyone to wear a mask because 1 in 40k is sick? If you want to for your own protection, fine, but do you really think it should be required?

It’s about as dumb as wearing a condom in public because you are afraid of getting AIDS.
One of the issues with outbreaks is if you close the gate too late it's too late.

The problem with this is if you do it when you should, it looks like you are over reacting.

Im really keen on the idea of over and under reacting.

I see both big time.

I envy the certainty of the certain.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
One of the issues with outbreaks is if you close the gate too late it's too late.

The problem with this is if you do it when you should, it looks like you are over reacting.

Im really keen on the idea of over and under reacting.

I see both big time.

I envy the certainty of the certain.
It's time to move on.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What does that mean?
It means exactly what I said. Certain demos have dug their heals in and will not get vaxxed no matter how much you coerce them. The rest of us have been responsible should not have to continue this charade because of them.

For example, SD County has a voluntary indoor masks policy (or did). They ask that unvaxxed mask up. Obviously they probably aren't, but it puts the onus on the most susceptible to protect themselves. If you compare SD to LA county, the case load per capita is pretty similar.

Are you retreating to a generalization to evade?
And you don't with your "framing effect" and "over/under reaction" tropes :roflmao: :trout:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It means exactly what I said. Certain demos have dug their heals in and will not get vaxxed no matter how much you coerce them. The rest of us have been responsible should not have to continue this charade because of them.

For example, SD County has a voluntary indoor masks policy (or did). They ask that unvaxxed mask up. Obviously they probably aren't, but it puts the onus on the most susceptible to protect themselves. If you compare SD to LA county, the case load per capita is pretty similar.

And you don't with your "framing effect" and "over/under reaction" tropes :roflmao: :trout:
The argument was that if we don't do all this, hospitals will fill up with COVID patients. Leaving aside the issue of whether NPIs were effective, that argument might have made sense before the PIs - vaccines. Now that the state is 85% vaccinated and almost all of the most-vulnerable are vaccinated, sometimes doubly or trebly, it's time to move on. Infection is de-coupled from hospitalization.

The argument that the rest of us need to do this for the unvaccinated is nonsense. They accept the risk and hospitals will not be overwhelmed with COVID patients. We need to solve our twin health problems of obesity and insanity. We have a ton of people going to the hospital with stuff other than COVID now. Speaking of accepting your own risk, why won't the fat lose weight and reduce their risk of heart disease and diabetes to free up hospital resources for the rest of us? Why won't the elderly come up with end-of-life plans to die without consuming a ton of hospital resources? You have a 1 in 6 chance of dying of a heart attack and everyone dies in the end. Framing all public health in terms of COVID is insane.