Breaking down various EPS/alt constructions

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
My 5150 is DFT, it's definitely glassed lighter, and as a result it's my only Stretch that is starting to show it's mileage (starting to yellow a bit, and I've noticed a some delam on the tail.) It's a trade off I guess, I'd say it 's noticeably lighter, and does give you some pop, but it's not gonna hold up like CFT.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My 5150 is DFT, it's definitely glassed lighter, and as a result it's my only Stretch that is starting to show it's mileage (starting to yellow a bit, and I've noticed a some delam on the tail.) It's a trade off I guess, I'd say it 's noticeably lighter, and does give you some pop, but it's not gonna hold up like CFT.
Can you get dft in medium like cft :shrug:

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Can you get dft in medium like cft :shrug:
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I think the DFT is supposed to be lighter, to help the reflex, dampening, and all that other stuff. It's still a Stretch, but it's not gonna hold up like CFT, or at least mine hasn't? I think it's worth trying though, you might really dig it?

• Love
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I think the DFT is supposed to be lighter, to help the reflex, dampening, and all that other stuff. It's still a Stretch, but it's not gonna hold up like CFT, or at least mine hasn't? I think it's worth trying though, you might really dig it?
It looks to be same as CFT light with out bamboo stringer:shaka:
DFT
Dampened Flex Technology
  • stringerless 2.0 pcf. Marko blank
  • Vacuum bagged bamboo veneer inlay
  • Epoxy lamination with 4oz. direct sized RWG E-glass deck and bottom
  • 4oz. S-glass deck and bottom layer 45º off-axis quadrilateral cloth matrix
  • Individually hand-shaped deck channels
  • CFT light

– Same finish quality and durability as the CFT std but incorporates a 3-ply appelcore stringer, 4oz. RWG E-glass substitution for 6oz. and 1.9pcf density Marko Foam EPS blank. Will yield to pressure dents slightly more so than CFT std build. CFT light option is for those who want a featherweight and higher flex performance board that will far outlast that crippled PU/PE with team glassing bought off the rack.
    4oz. RWG bottom/4oz. RWG + 4oz. D/S bias weave S-glass deck

Reactions: johnson7

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
I know Firewire Helium hasn't been mentioned but does anyone know what is closer to comparison between them, Varial, and XTR? I love the feel of the Helium construction.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I know Firewire Helium hasn't been mentioned but does anyone know what is closer to comparison between them, Varial, and XTR? I love the feel of the Helium construction.
If you like it, rock it. But Helium is still an eps core. The reason everyone likes Varial and xtr is because they are not eps. So you get durability but some of the dampening feels of pu.

in my limited experience on both, helium is more apples to apples with lost black sheep. Super light eps core wrapped a little different.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
I had a XTR a long time ago probably around 2005. I liked it then but snapped it. I cant remember how it felt though.
I can honestly say I dont like PU boards.
I will give Varial A try this year. I want to order a Lost from them.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
After all that, my conclusion is:

1. Stretch CFT
2. SuperFlex / FF
3*.
4. PU ( I CAN'T QUIT YOU )
5. XTR / FCD / COIL (three way tie)

*(1 & 2 are so far ahead, I had to leave 3 blank)

I added up all I spent, deducted what I resold, looked at the number once and then threw the paper away. Don't ask.
updated list for 2023:
1. Stretch CFT
2. FutureFlex / SuperFlex
3. Varial
4. XTR / PU

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I know lost gets dissed here often but My RNF96 lightspeed is charged, feels electric compared to other tech, better than carbon wrap. Wouldn't want in heaving conditions though.

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Coil to me, especially the latest iteration that Kirk has been using the last few years, is still the best construction and ahead of the pack. Light but not too light, strong but not stiff, and feels good under foot. He’s also making a smooth and dimpled version. It’s the only stringerless build I would trust in wind and pumping surf.