**BONZER THREAD 2014**

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Interesting. That board is a bit of a freak show. I need to review the dims, but it is super wide. I may have gone too far. The tail, from memory, is almost 18". I wanted something I could skate over nothingness. With the Bonzer 7" fin, it just wasn't meeting expectations. I felt like I was leaving something on the table. Plus backside I had a couple of failures off the bottom. Board went one way and I went another. (MORE PRESSURE!) Anyway I was in the shop, and Spencer has a box of fins. I looked in there to see what he had going on and that one was in there as a single. I asked him for permission and he granted it. He thinks he got it from McCoy. It's like 9 1/2" or so deep. First ride was promising. Loose and skatey on waves that were barely there. I don't know if the board will work for me backside. I have trouble with wide nose boards backside. Too much forward rail in the water. My "technique" is lacking IMO. Off the bottom I need to raise my lead arm instead of dropping it as a pivot.

McCoy makes those fins in a number of variations. The more upright the tip, the more pivot/open face oriented the fin. The further back the tip sweeps, the more down the line the turn. Obviously.

I'm going to have to try and buy this one from Spencer or order one from McCoy in Australia.
Awesome description as usual!
Some interesting diversions to pursue, and the rawson/campbell brothers connection is there (with some Mccoy fin involvement too)

http://instagr.am/p/Bka6icmnSuX/

Reactions: Sharky

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Our run of good swell has finally ended here in Nica .... it is officially the off-season here .... usually this time of year i pull boards that have been collecting dust out of the garage and take em for a spin or experiment with different fin setups etc. Last month a pulled out an old Lost Mini Driver and forgotten how much fun it was ... i decided to order a Pyzel Ghost to replace for next season. A couple days ago - i was sorting through my boards again deciding what to try next and came across my 6'2" CI Biscuit Bonzer .... honestly had forgotten all about it probably 3 or 4 years since i last rode it and as i remember never really clicked with it ... cleaned it up ... stuck a 7.0" Greenough 4A (remembered that i never had luck with the actual Bonzer center fin) in it and took it out for a session. Waist high conditions - not a lot of push but good form .... had a blast on it. It took a couple waves to get reaquainted with the ultra flat rocker .... i think it is actually a very technical board to ride - you need to be over the fins to properly turn it but at least on mine the gas pedal seems to be way forward on it but as i learned if you go too far forward you'll bury the nose. It was a lot of fun figuring the board out ... hope to get some more open face conditions to do some cutbacks etc. Yesterday - took it out for a second session - instead of the Greenough - put in a 6.0" Dobson Fin Unlimited center fin - more upright template - pretty close to the Bonzer fin. Went to a different spot - waist high - hollow A-frames ..... went really really well - catches everything. The outline and first 1/3 of the board remind me of surfing an old school fish but then you've got that round tail Bonzer 5 setup out the back ... really a unique board. The last few years have ridden twinzers, twins, singles, quads and thrusters ..... think i will be spending some more time riding a Bonzer 5 the next few months!

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
This should probably get it‘s own thread, but for now…

This woman is my spirit animal.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Wicked fast!

Reactions: Sharky

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005

Epic.

Reactions: kpd73

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
2014 has been the longest year ever in bonzerville...

This question came to me on another thread but I figured this would be a better place to ask it. How many of you are riding a bonzer with glass on center fin? Have you had any issues? And how many of you that have a center box put the fin at the recommended spot and just left it there? how many have experienced vast improvements by moving the fin?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

This question came to me on another thread but I figured this would be a better place to ask it. How many of you are riding a bonzer with glass on center fin? Have you had any issues? And how many of you that have a center box put the fin at the recommended spot and just left it there? how many have experienced vast improvements by moving the fin?

I made some edits (in italics)….

1. 1. The leading edge of the the center fin usually ends up about even with the trailing edge (at the base) of the of side fins. This is generally a good starting point as well. Depending on what you are feeling, adjust your technique.

2. 2. If you are having trouble finishing out turns and cutbacks, or are not getting up and down the face quickly enough, you should apply more pressure to your back foot.

3. 3. If you are digging rails, or catching rails in the front 18” to 24” during cutbacks, you should apply more pressure to your back foot.

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I made some edits (in italics)….

1. 1. The leading edge of the the center fin usually ends up about even with the trailing edge (at the base) of the of side fins. This is generally a good starting point as well. Depending on what you are feeling, adjust your technique.

2. 2. If you are having trouble finishing out turns and cutbacks, or are not getting up and down the face quickly enough, you should apply more pressure to your back foot.

3. 3. If you are digging rails, or catching rails in the front 18” to 24” during cutbacks, you should apply more pressure to your back foot.
What if you're a front foot surfer? :shrug: :roflmao:

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011

It depends on the bonzer. Some work at 5 3/4 with all fins. Others need adjustment based on fin size. But for me, 80% of the time, it's whatever fin at just in front of the trailing sidefins. And Duffy is correct, adjust technique for the board.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014

I never knew about the 5 3/4" fin placement and Always had my center fin- leading edge - just overlapping about 1/8" the trailing edge of the rear runners.
Would do this by eye and use a string across bottom of board along rear runners trailing edge and would push center fin up until it bowed the string.

One big thing I noticed is that the b5 system is Way more sensitive than the b3.
With the b5 the system of concaves and fins is really synergistic so a little too far forward and the board just doesn't perform.
The b3 is way more forgiving when sliding the center fin too far forward.

Fin too far back hurts the b3 but absolutely Kills the b5.
I have bought used bonzers off craigs and seeing the fin in an awful position I know the seller Hated the board and always could get a hundred off the ask right away.

Reactions: TeamScam and Bman76

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I have Bonzers with all glass on fins. One at the moment. The board was a copy of another board. I had a custom set of Bonzer 5 marine ply Gephart fins made and glassed them on. Board goes really well. You make a center/taller fin out of marine ply and after a certain speed they start humming a little. And it's not the trailing edge. But the board is lighter. And I knew exactly which fin I wanted where in the center. No drama. I've set up so many Bonzers, with a lot of them I don't wind up moving the fin. 1/8" forward. But sometimes I get a surprise. On both which size fin and where it goes. For instance, I had a 6'2" egg with e-wings and a baby swallow. That board demanded a 6" fin placed slightly back. It was weird.

For most people, get a center box. Believe it or not, 1/8" adjustments can make fairly dramatic differences.