Bobby Quad

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Craig did a nice review on the POD v. Pod Mod.

Noel has a pretty good review on the Pod Mod from almost a decade ago and it looks fun. I didn't know that "Surf and Show" was originally named "Surf Show and Tell". Good on him for making the name change. Also, his surfing looks sharp.

Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For the channel islands doos out there, which one do you think would be most fun for everyday beach break waves.
1. Bobby Quad
2. Pod Mod
3. Wizard Sleeve
Wizard sleeve is a good wave board.

FWIW during the 2010-2011 winter (with the exception of a handful of huge days) I rode only two boards.

The Pod and The Wizard Sleeve. Both stock 5’8

Pod for up to around shoulder high and the WS for everything above that up as large as I could catch.

i was in full ironman shape so my paddling ability was at a lifetime best.

That was my peak of surfing, it’s been down hill ever since….:cry:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I reflexively want to downvote anything by Salsa. It's not personal.

I"ve only been riding my GG Modfish 2 in a quad for a year. I wish I'd gotten the 5 fin so I could try it as a thruster. Great boar but I can't tell how much my bottom turns are affected.

Reactions: ReForest

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Yuck!

low speed grovelling and monkey pumping made the board look horrible.

Is that guy really that deluded to believe that board was an 8/10 based on that video footy?
Isn’t that the conditions lotsa bros would get that thing for and the conditions it was designed for??

He included
width 12” from nose n tail,
rocker numbers
showed the bottom running a straight edge over it.
Showed the rail in his hand mid board n at the tail with his hand gripping it to show the rail profile…

n without the clueless arm chair expert techno babble bull$hit.

The categories n number rating thing are goofy as fck…. That being said I got way more useful info from this than Salsa review of it.

Last edited:

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
you gotta love the body english on the final close out turn - throwing the upper body and shoulders into that JJF no-claim slouch claim.

:roflmao:
Funny… when came to the west coast for the first time in the late 80s (San Diego) I was fckn gagging on everyone’s “style” … there wasn’t really any. As an impressionable teen was so surprised & disappointed in the weak $hit surf, $hit style n cry baby winey bitch accents and attitude.

Most folks, even good surfers can look pretty goofy in tiny $hit waves. …. the Skipper is an exception to that general rule.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Funny… when came to the west coast for the first time in the late 80s (San Diego) I was fckn gagging on everyone’s “style” … there wasn’t really any. As an impressionable teen was so surprised & disappointed in the weak $hit surf, $hit style n cry baby winey bitch accents and attitude.

Most folks, even good surfers can look pretty goofy in tiny $hit waves. …. the Skipper is an exception to that general rule.
Everyone’s mom surfs in San Diego - The average style is to belly into white water, knees before feet and go straight.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Isn’t that the conditions lotsa bros would get that thing for and the conditions it was designed for??

He included
width 12” from nose n tail,
rocker numbers
showed the bottom running a straight edge over it.
Showed the rail in his hand mid board n at the tail with his hand gripping it to show the rail profile…

n without the clueless arm chair expert techno babble bull$hit.

The categories n number rating thing are goofy as fck…. That being said I got way more useful info from this than Salsa review of it.
The surf relatability was an 11/10.
Giving that board a duck diving rating in that surf is 2/10 would not bang.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Everyone’s mom surfs in San Diego - The average style is to belly into white water, knees before feet and go straight.
In the 1980s … in the middle of winter?? I don’t remember seeing any chicks in the water…plenty of grown men in booties w like 60 deg water - are those the peolle you’re referring to as moms, n kooks don’t have style
I was referencing actual surfers

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My friend's mom used to surf in Central Florida in the middle of winter in the 80s. She was cool.

"Oh wow the entire stretch of beach where the jetty blocks the wind is crowded. Son, look North, Sharkbiscuit, look South. I'll look straight out. Wherever the kooks are, we'll want to sit on them for the wave count."

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Wizard sleeve is a good wave board.

FWIW during the 2010-2011 winter (with the exception of a handful of huge days) I rode only two boards.

The Pod and The Wizard Sleeve. Both stock 5’8

Pod for up to around shoulder high and the WS for everything above that up as large as I could catch.

i was in full ironman shape so my paddling ability was at a lifetime best.

That was my peak of surfing, it’s been down hill ever since….:cry:
Dat was a very good fall/winter 805 year my son graduated from hs and last real good winter we have had since:bricks:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It was almost non-stop medium sized swells with some bombers tossed in. It coincided with me being in the best shape of my life and losing a big client so I had tons of free time on my hands.
5'6" CB thumbtail bumblebee 5 fin non stop barrels local beach break had perfect groomed sand bars:shaka: