Board test for the every day surfer

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Same, only at 6'. I bought the 5'7 FE, same dims as in Kale's test and it feels right. I would have gotten a 5'9 if it were available and the stimulus money wasn't burning a hole in my pocket. All the board reviewers were recommending going 2L above your normal range. It made sense in the reviews but I'm glad that I didn't get it larger. Maybe a better surfer is conditioned to push it harder and the responsiveness of the FE is too much? :shrug:
I think a twin can be ridden shorter for sure with the wider out line for more float and no ultra small rails. Mine I went height because I liked the idea of more rail engaged in wave with loose twin set up.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Maybe you've watched him surf more than I have, he did like one or two airs in that video and they weren't super impressive. You also seem to have a bit of an air game :shrug:.

I also don't particularly enjoy watching salsa surf but I do think he has technical skill

Reactions: MathDebater

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
@ehiunno - Freeride76 is Longtom, not the anonymous surf tester. I believe that's Mitch Parkinson.
Ohhhh I thought Longtom was the anonymous test surfer :)

Thanks for clearing that up

Edit: Okay I googled Mitch Parkinson and clearly he rips. The real question: is he better than Kale?? or Salsa??:roflmao:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
At 5'7 surely Kale wouldn't be 175lbs? He's a bit stocky, but not chubby.
episode 2 says he is 174cm/5' 7" 80KG/176lb

This immediately leapt out as an inconsistency because I am 5' 7", but only 171 cm 170cm. The weight conversion checks out though.

He is very stocky. 6hrs of surfing a day in the wave pool on consecutive days, means he is also very fit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
11 pages about where this guy would rank at your local spot and now arguing over his height and weight. We are officially bored outta our minds.
We're drafting surfboard review youtubers

"This guy's a top prospect. He's the prototypical youtube munchkin, and he's got all the tools - clickbait titles, clickbait thumbnails....."

"This guy is a sleeper here. He rubs the board like it's his schlong which has put some scouts off but as a developmental pick, he could really pay off for a later round selection in the right system."

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
you cnuts are tripping.

Broccoli has an air game, can do proper big turns etc etc.

Salad surfs like a really bad version of Sally Fitzgibbon.

v. underpowered and weak.
They are both very good surfers, both fit. Noel in very good shape for his age. Kale only just has an air game, there were a couple of moments I noticed where he just about left the water when he was on the Vic coast, but mostly they were on the foam reverses.

Noel can do cutback foam climbs to order and variations of lip hack - the usual snappy one, plus a more drawn out semi tail sliding/floating variation. He also demonstrates some long floaters.

There is a difference in style - Kale does more of those double pumps so he keeps moving more and looks more lively. As for power Kale puts on a better show with a deeper drivier bottom turn, but then Noel's groveling looks unbeatable - some of this would be differences in body weight and perhaps what the local waves allow.

Both great presenters, I am not a big follower of either of them, but they produce some very watchable videos. I watched all 3 episodes of Kale's board test yesterday evening in one go, so obviously I enjoyed it (as a bench mark I couldn't handle too much of Tom Curren's "free scrubber", I tried twice on 2 different days and couldn't make to the end without skipping forward to see if it improved).

Kale's test was a lavish production compared to Noel's single board reviews. Noel's are more thorough - he usually orders 2, one stock the other custom, which gives a greater chance of getting the most out of it, plus more hours on a given board. We get a bit more information on the design features from SurfnShow, on the other hand Kale's straight opinions makes it easier to assess whether the board is really liked or not. Can't really compare them.

Either way I take your earlier point that these tests have very limited relevance to me an incarnation of the every day surfer who is unskilled compared to those two. These tests are enjoyable entertainment, but I am going to go out and make completely different judgements on what to purchase.

I enjoyed Kale's carver skateboard review - watched it when it popped up after Greg posted his foamie fin swap vid a neighbour had given me a go on his carver skateboard a short while earlier and I was interested. Then I completely ignored what Kale had to say and bought one that was on sale - $224 for a Nana surf skate - that's a good price! This was about a month and a half ago. I also haven't watched any of Kale's carver skateboard tutorials - I am not that serious about it. Just want to play with it for 10 minutes now and then for a break from work.

Reactions: trifish

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I like Wooly best - simple, enjoyable, short, informative, lots of wave range. However, his board selection is limited to what his shop carries.

Kale has good intentions, but his large ego and goal of making money off this creates conflicting messaging. Kale used to be on How to Rip and I think he saw the opportunity to make money and separated from his buddy that started the other series.

Craig is solid, always pretty stoked, which is awesome, but harder to find faults with the boards. You really have to read the tea leaves.

Yuri - is having fun and posting videos of what he already tends to capture anyways.

There is also Thomye Surfs - he has some solid advice - super laid back

****my buddy had a huge mountain crash in whistler oversent crabapple jump - the video is called something like "oh sh!t" - haha. He posted it on youtube, well someone bought and he used to get paid him $500/year.