Board test for the every day surfer

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I think Kale shits all over Noel.

but that just might be a parochial thing.

I think he is more articulate and more knowledgeable and I like his surfing more.

he also surfs a greater variety of waves than Salsa.

I quickly realised that a board test at Trestles has zero relevance to me. I know people on here think otherwise.

Kale's tests have only slightly more relevance to me, but I find him more entertaining.
Agree with everything you've said. Kale would be a lot more fun to be in the water with too. Trestles is not a good wave to test boards on in my humble opinion. T-Street, the pier. Salt Creek or the jetties in Oceanside would yield more realistic testing conditions for most of us to see.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Dims don't seem too funky to me:shrug:

I also didn't think he looked terribly under-volumed on any of the boards.

It was surprising how bad that Sub Driver looked under his feet in the pool.
I could tell looking at the outlines that some of those boards weren't sized correctly for him. As I previously posted if you had Kale go to a shop with a wide selection of sizes of each board model I would bet you that on at least half of the boards he would have grabbed ones that were in different dimensions than what he used in the test.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I thought the same about most the hp shapes. Since it was all Off the rack boards he was pretty limited. Like the shadow looked too long in the pool, but was already down to 27L otr. At his height & weight he really needed customs for some of those. Thought his volume sounded low also on most. He weighs more than Medina but was on some boards 2 liters less than what Medina rides and not near that level.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
No Salsa is about 10x better at surfing than The Broccoli. Also Broccoli is 176lbs and should be on about 30L. When he skips so much on volume some of those boards are not going to work. Maybe it was just that the boards he liked the most were the ones who held up when he was 2L too low?

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
No Salsa is about 10x better at surfing than The Broccoli. Also Broccoli is 176lbs and should be on about 30L. When he skips so much on volume some of those boards are not going to work. Maybe it was just that the boards he liked the most were the ones who held up when he was 2L too low?
They were between 27-29L which is pretty much ideal for his height/weight, by the normal standard anyway.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Kale's tests have only slightly more relevance to me
Serious question: are you saying this because you think he surfs that much better than you?

I've seen some of your board reviews for Stab Beachgrit (you're "anonymous" right?) and I don't have the impression there is that big of a gap in your skill levels.

This thread seems to be really overstating Kale's skill level to me. Y'all both surge better than I do but I still think Kale's insight is relevant for my skill level and the way that I like to surf. From a technical standpoint No Salsa is substantially better than Kale, I would MUCH rather watch Kale surf, and his videos are way more interesting, but Salad rips. I'd say Kale has about the average skill level I would expect from someone who surfed regularly and consistency from when they were young to adulthood, he's an average local ripper.

He's also not exactly slim, at 5'7 175. He's three inches shorter than me and an extra 15#, all of those boards look like they're in dims I could jump on straight away which does seem odd given we are very differently shaped humans.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Salad rips but for us East Coasters, once the waves get good enough for a shortboard who the f--k even cares it's so much fun.

Conversely, for the alt/grovel shapes, he's at Lowers. What the f--k would I be riding a grovel board for at stomach-chest high waves in perfect conditions that do the same thing every time.

If it's clean, over waist high, not a total longboard wave, and I know what is going to happen before I take off I don't need a groveler. Any DD-style bump squash thruster will do.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Salad rips but for us East Coasters, once the waves get good enough for a shortboard who the f--k even cares it's so much fun.
This is so true the last few months have been fking rough ugh

I do think there is some space for dedicated grovel boards but I totally get where you're coming from. Sunday we had a few fun ones come though right before sunset and I was kicking myself I didn't bring the Shadow because it would have gone fine and it feels like I've barely ridden it in months.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
This is so true the last few months have been fking rough

I do think there is some space for dedicated grovel boards but I totally get where you're coming from
IMHO March was good like it almost always is. April was sub-par though.

I think there is a shitload of space for grovel boards. I have all kinds of stuff between bump squash thruster and bottom end grovel. I just don't think much of these flawless waist-chest high waves being used as grovel proving grounds.

Reactions: Aruka and ehiunno

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I just don't think much of these flawless waist-chest high waves being used as grovel proving grounds.
Ah yeah I get you. I do always wonder about this. Maybe a grovel wave to an east coaster is different than someone from SoCal. Or maybe no one wants to watch someone test a board in actual grovel waves? I certainly do though

Reactions: rowjimmytour

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I am 5'8" 170#s and those volume numbers fit me and I am 51 years old:drowning:
Same, only at 6'. I bought the 5'7 FE, same dims as in Kale's test and it feels right. I would have gotten a 5'9 if it were available and the stimulus money wasn't burning a hole in my pocket. All the board reviewers were recommending going 2L above your normal range. It made sense in the reviews but I'm glad that I didn't get it larger. Maybe a better surfer is conditioned to push it harder and the responsiveness of the FE is too much? :shrug:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Ah yeah I get you. I do always wonder about this. Maybe a grovel wave to an east coaster is different than someone from SoCal. Or maybe no one wants to watch someone test a board in actual grovel waves? I certainly do though
Naw, the waves most often shown in grovel board videos are nothing like what I grovel in. The waves I grovel in are much much worse.

Reactions: bluengreen