Blank shortage

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
So... blanks are scarce out here, at least oversized blanks. My boards are thick, so I’m looking at quite a wait for a new 6’4” and 6’9” I just ordered. Just picked up one of Twiggy’s 9’0”s from last year as a big Sunset board, but other than that I am hearing “long wait on all new customs.” Surf shops also nearly sold out of popular wetsuit sizes, leashes, even running low on wax?!?! Is this the secondary effect of the look influx??? Is this a problem in CA? What’s happening here people?

• Wow
Reactions: santacruzin

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
The CEO of USB told me they were having an issue with a key chemical they need. That cratered things a bit. Millennium has no issue for some reason. The demand on the west coast is insane. Everyone is raising their prices. Everyone is buried. Glassing is a serious bottleneck over here.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Heard the same about the USB chemical problem. No idea what Arctic situation is. Glassing a problem here, too... shops have never been so busy. My 6’4” is old and falling apart. Luckily based on the forecast I can mothball it for at least two weeks.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Guy that runs the shop that shapes and glasses 75% of local boards says volume is insane here too - they can't keep up.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Guy that runs the shop that shapes and glasses 75% of local boards says volume is insane here too - they can't keep up.
Weird. What's driving such demand? Did people get tired of panic buying toilet paper?

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Wait till they all get good enough to paddle out and sit right in the way at Sunset, then yell at you when you almost run them down as they paddle frantically for the shoulder.

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Heard the same about the USB chemical problem. No idea what Arctic situation is. Glassing a problem here, too... shops have never been so busy. My 6’4” is old and falling apart. Luckily based on the forecast I can mothball it for at least two weeks.
At this point I am rooting for Costco and Wave Storm.

:oops:

I'm cutting more Arctic and Millennium than I have in some time.

Maybe set up some glassing stands in your garage Professor?

Reactions: JBerry

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Was looking at wetsuits lately in shops down south and local. All sold out in my sizes and brand preference.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
all the covid wfh kooks who have been surfing less than 1 yr on wavestorms now want hardboars so they can post on insta. packs of bro brah entitled beginners paddling out clogging up every peak in socal. 75 ppl out on a shitty peak at dawn on a small day. shake my fkn head
whats worse - is with their new fiberglass boards - they are actually dangerous now. All fun and games on a foamy but when you suck - that canoe might as well be a loaded bazooka.

Reactions: Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
whats worse - is with their new fiberglass boards - they are actually dangerous now. All fun and games on a foamy but when you suck - that canoe might as well be a loaded bazooka.
OTOH, the concussions/stitches from their own boards will keep them out of the water a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper