Best twinny for quality beachies and points

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
If it's out and out performance, then I'm kinda surprised no one's mentioned the JS Black Baron yet.
I went for the RTT, because it's a bit special, but I've seen local guys totally blow up on the black baron though:

http://instagr.am/p/B3G40_Mh7ga/

Jul 29, 2018
Epic, thats right in the sweet spot I was hoping for. The EPS/Epoxy should add extra float as well, as I wanted the board to have a lower range. The flax is supposedly not super light, which is exactly what I wanted, so that it has a bigger upper range too .... that was my thinking anyway, let's see how it all pans out. 1 more sleep to go, just wish we had waves coming too!.

Question to the other twin fin aficionados - now that I have one, will I also need a front zippered wet suit top, short shorts, a top knot and work in a coffee shop? I can possibly get away with most of those, but the top knot is impossible as my haircut is like Slater's. I can always grow a long ponytail, but then I'd end up looking like an 80's action movie henchman.
View attachment 81621
The scullet!
If there are any swellians out there

Reactions: waxfoot

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I don’t mind them on backhand. Had a Misfit Beach Cloud twinny with Salty Merchants upright twins that went quite well. Bit more rocker and wide point a little further back than most seemed to help matters.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I also surf primarily backside at my local. I’ve never fully understood the twin-backside issue. I adjust my lines both frontside and backside depending on the board and section. If you can frontside top turn wrap, then you can do the same off the bottom on your backhand.
Someone care to explain?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I can never get a good pivot on my heelside on a twin. I lose speed and slide out too much before i get to the lip.

I surf thrusters mainly so this is user error but it takes some finnesse. Never had much problem front side adjusting.

Reactions: Aruka

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Could be that frontside I have more control with my feet and i'm now leaning on my heel as much.

Insert Asym theories here lol

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I had a few rough sessions on my backhand riding the Banjo fish this summer in fun sized lefts. The board felt good going down the line but I was having similar issues to Waterlogged. I couldn't get a satisfying snap in the pocket, felt like I was sliding out on the bottom turn, losing my speed and then just not able to get a clean pivot and release off the top like I'm used to. I was chatting to Retodd about it and he said it was probably less of a twin problem and more of a wide tail problem which, after some consideration rang true. I'm not terrible on my backhand but I definitely have less variety, I mostly want to just jam it in the pocket which isn't really how I surf the Banjo on my front side. It's definitely capable of that but it's really more about carving up the open face and slicing around on rail. After thinking about it for a bit I got another chance at the same left on a small fun day and I focused more on carving around the open face, drawing turns out a bit more and it felt really good. Eventually I felt like I started to find the sweet spot and did manage to get some more vertical turns and a couple closeout snaps. I think in previous sessions I had been trying to rush the bottom turn and I found that drawing it out a little longer, allowing the keels to come around smoothly allowed me to carry more speed up into the hook. Probably could stand to do this a bit more on any board I ride TBH but the Banjo made it easy just because it carries speed out into the flats so well.

A while later I got the Rusty Twin and with it's narrower tail and more upright twins it feels super natural and easy on the backhand and I have no problems hucking it into the lip much like I would a thruster.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
If it's out and out performance, then I'm kinda surprised no one's mentioned the JS Black Baron yet.
I went for the RTT, because it's a bit special, but I've seen local guys totally blow up on the black baron though:

http://instagr.am/p/B3G40_Mh7ga/
I demoed a 5'7 (30.4L) Black Baron. I wanted something closer to my regular liters (28L), but they didn't have a 5'6 (29L). I accounted for the fact it was a little corky for me, but I thought it was really underwhelming. The board just felt retro and planky. Most surprising to me was that it didn't feel any faster than my usual boards (I think I was mostly riding a Chilli Nevada when I demoed the BB this past spring for two days). I tried it with MR's and after I complained to the JS (he no longer works for JS, but surfs my local spot most days) rep and he suggested the AM twin set. The board was a bit more free in the lip, but had even less drive.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I demoed a 5'7 (30.4L) Black Baron. I wanted something closer to my regular liters (28L), but they didn't have a 5'6 (29L). I accounted for the fact it was a little corky for me, but I thought it was really underwhelming. The board just felt retro and planky. Most surprising to me was that it didn't feel any faster than my usual boards (I think I was mostly riding a Chilli Nevada when I demoed the BB this past spring for two days). I tried it with MR's and after I complained to the JS (he no longer works for JS, but surfs my local spot most days) rep and he suggested the AM twin set. The board was a bit more free in the lip, but had even less drive.
Interesting perspective. Did you try the EPS or PU? IMO, it should be ridden as a PU.

The scullet!
If there are any swellians out there
Up the fucking swellians!

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Interesting perspective. Did you try the EPS or PU? IMO, it should be ridden as a PU.

Up the fucking swellians!
It was a PU. Specifically their "PU carbon fusion" which is nothing more than a 3/8" strip of carbon laid on top of the stringer. I generally don't like fishy feeling designs and gravitate towards HPSB's and the Black Baron felt relatively slow and was watering down my performance.

I was on the hunt to try a performance twin, but couldn't track down an Campbell Brothers Alpha Omega, Stretch 2WIN, Rusty Twin or several others I had my eye on, so Black Baron it was (actually wasn't for me).

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
That just reignited my Dane fanboydom
Yeah, me too. I miss seeing clips of Dane like this on the regular.

You can see him struggling with the board at first, but then he starts to figure it out and by the end of the clip, he's on fire!

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Time for a little bit of feedback on the RTT - I won't go into any sort of lengthy detail, as we've simply not had many waves around my neck of the woods and also because I feel that I'm too inexperienced in the design to make any bold statements.

The reason for that caveat, is because I've never surfed a board quite like this, so it's kinda hard for me to isolate exactly what it is that's causing me to enjoy it so much. The fish shape, channels, added volume, upright large fins and construction, all add up to an incredibly fun board to ride that's much more performant than I thought it would be.

It initially took me a little getting used to not having a tailpad on the board, but I'm actually really enjoy surfing it now without any. I don't think I'll go full Occy and never use any on my HPSBs, but I'm loving the freedom and feel for the tail, as I feel I can quite accurately place my back foot where it needs to be / play around with foot positioning more so than I ever do on a performance board with a pad.

One thing I can unequivocally say, is that I'm doing the best "full wrap cutback, rebound off the whitewater, and back into a face for a front side whacks" I've ever done in marginal surf.
A little about me - I grew up surfing world class right hand point breaks, which is a bit of a disadvantage for me now, mostly surfing beachbreaks. The above mentioned sequence I find difficult in mediocre beachbreak conditions. The momentum the board carries is completely unparalleled and allows me to do it with ease ... I'm just surprised at the tight turning radius! (oddly enough, one of the reasons I sold my Firewire Evo, is because the sequence above I used to bog the sh!t out of my rail 50% of the time, but now not done it once). Also because of the aforementioned RH pointbreaks, I don't surf my backhand well at all, but this fish has made backhand floaters great again :p

Nothing much else to add right now, but thought I'd share some initial thoughts.

Oct 2, 2019
Just had mine in the water today Waxfoot, down the local south swell magnet (im sure ya know which one).
Waves weren't great but bugger me it goes SO GOOD. Soon as you put it on rail to it just starts accelerating hard!
Got some nice rights to begin with and beat some quick sections.
Second left i got on it was unreal too, real easy to turn and felt great backside
Hopefully tomorrow dishes up the goods and I can let it loose on some quality waves!!

Anyway super happy with my choice, felt better than my mate MOTE that i surfed for a few weeks.
Oh and hows that fucking channel!

RTT.jpgRTT2.jpg