Best bargain brand wetsuit?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
looking 4 a new 3/2. any dealz out there or did all the covid kooks buy em all up?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
i should add that i saw those as well as a healthy selection of other suits at the jacks outlet on del
mar in san clem. Might be a good place to look for some dealios.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
hyperfreak vs psycho 1 o'neill which is better?
I think I am going hyperfreak again but depends if you like smoothie or not. I have hyperfreak 3mm comp no liner but flexible like no other. Only cold with 12+mph while waiting. I am going to get hyperfreak with liner for windy days.

Reactions: Havoc

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
unless they changed, psycho i doesn't have a smoothy. I think the 1 will hold up a little better but the hyper will be more comfortable.

my next suit(s) will be oneil that's for sure. I am currently rocking a mutant, feral, and needs. oneil FTW no contest.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I think I am going hyperfreak again but depends if you like smoothie or not. I have hyperfreak 3mm comp no liner but flexible like no other. Only cold with 12+mph while waiting. I am going to get hyperfreak with liner for windy days.
u got the comp?

standard 1 has 0.5mm extra thickness. guess thatz the liner. psychosis 1 is warmer but hf more flexy right?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
u got the comp?

standard 1 has 0.5mm extra thickness. guess thatz the liner. psychosis 1 is warmer but hf more flexy right?
Yep hf is super flexible material specially with out liner comp model and the 3mm during normal Winter here in 805 (56-58) is plenty warm even with light winds. Its usually Spring and upwelling gets colder with high winds for weeks.

Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
These new wetsuits with glued seams don't even last a season.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
wore my 3 yr. old 4/3 vissla high seas yesterday cause the water is chilly. suit is toast. smoothie fail: the shoulder areas that don't have patched finger holes are now flaking and looks like scales. time to donate this one to the bin at Bird's. Thing was a lemon with the botched design of the smoothie panels- the subsequent versions didn't have them in the areas where you need to grab to get on/off. the rest of the suit was fine.

Reactions: Bman76

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
wore my 3 yr. old 4/3 vissla high seas yesterday cause the water is chilly. suit is toast. smoothie fail: the shoulder areas that don't have patched finger holes are now flaking and looks like scales. time to donate this one to the bin at Bird's. Thing was a lemon with the botched design of the smoothie panels- the subsequent versions didn't have them in the areas where you need to grab to get on/off. the rest of the suit was fine.
Same. The chest-zip tie-in to the smoothie panels need to be reinforced with stitching or they fail.

I think I'm buying customs from here on out.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
well, I probably wore it 30 times, total
That's about where I'm at with this "premium"-level suit. I just looked at the glued seams all around the smoothie and they're all parting. I want to take it in to get it fixed but don't want to be out a suit for another 1-3 months. This brand is going to go out-of-business with quality like this. An extra $100 would've bought me a custom suit from people who stand behind their work.

Reactions: rowjimmytour