Best bargain brand wetsuit?

DublAK2

OTF status
Jun 18, 2003
NJ
I can’t wrap my head (or wallet) around some of the wetsuit prices out there. Ive had such mixed results with suits that i cant justify the risk of spending $500, $600, $1000 on a suit. Top line O’Neals, xcel drylock, Isurus, patagonia, etc.

So what’s the best of the bargain brands? Hyperflex, Buell, Needs, Vissla? Why are their suits only1/2 to 2/3rds the price? Who’s the warmest? Who’s the most flexible?

I try to stay loyal to hyperflex because im an NJ guy but I cannot say ive ever been blown away by their suits. I currently have a 5/4 Voodoo by hyperflex and it's warm, but not really flexible. If there is any current in the lineup to battle i get out of the water because my arms wear out so fast. Although to be fair, that may be my disdain for 5 mils in general, and not the fault of hyperflex at all. Maybe it’s just nature of the beast that are 5 mils, Not sure. Also, Ive not tried the Vyrl series.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I got two seasons out of my Vissla North Seas. The legs both ripped at the ankle from taking it off and on, but I repaired them with dental floss and neoprene cement with outstanding results. I just had to change in and out of it with a gentler touch.
It just started flushing in the lower back/nutsack area. I surf 4-5 days a week and pee in my suits, so I was stoked at two years.

Reactions: redrider

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Buy last yrs model online and on sale. Pretty much a no brainer. Xcel Ripcurl etc. you can find 4/3 drylocks for like $230. I got an Xcel 4/3 infinity for $160 shipped. Sites like Backcoutry (thats where I typically get mine) Evo etc.

I’m in a 4/3 yr round and in the water 3-4 times a week. get a new suit at least once a year. They just don’t last, no matter how well you take care of them. I do have suits that are 3-5 yrs old that on inspection look pretty darn good-but functionally they are totally shot.

Last edited:

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Would recommend just looking for sales of the better suits. Also, some of the lower end big brand suits are actually pretty good. I think the rip curl dawn patrol and billabongs cheaper 5/4 are both pretty good. I used the cheaper billabong this winter in NY. Not a super cold winter but it worked fine. I just don't like that the hood feels really small.

The brands you mentioned are a bit cheaper - but quality is even more hit/miss than the big names.

Reactions: Aruka and Bman76

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The Vyrl suits we had were made of some rubber that stunk to the high heavens. Even brand new out of the plastic bag they smelled like a skunk.

To me its hard to beat the Rip Curl Dawn Patrol series suits. Based on the experience in a house with 4 year round surfers these suits hold up better than the more expensive suits. Rip curl's expensive suits don't hold up anywhere near as good. You're gaining flexibility at the expense of a much bigger price tag and longevity.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
My experience is you get what you pay for, especially if you surf a lot or in colder water.

I surf 4-5x per week and take good care of my wetsuits. I got 1 season out of a Vissla North Seas 4/3 -- second season it was leaky and pretty cold. My Isurus suits last 2-3 seasons at like-new warmth and I have a 4/3 that is going on 5 seasons and still works on warmer days.

With that said, the Vissla was great for the first year -- warm, flexible enough, and dried super quickly.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Not a fan of Needs suits.
haven’t tried any other bargain suits.
go for last year‘s good Suits on sale

Reactions: Bman76

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I can’t wrap my head (or wallet) around some of the wetsuit prices out there. Ive had such mixed results with suits that i cant justify the risk of spending $500, $600, $1000 on a suit. Top line O’Neals, xcel drylock, Isurus, patagonia, etc.

So what’s the best of the bargain brands? Hyperflex, Buell, Needs, Vissla? Why are their suits only1/2 to 2/3rds the price? Who’s the warmest? Who’s the most flexible?

I try to stay loyal to hyperflex because im an NJ guy but I cannot say ive ever been blown away by their suits. I currently have a 5/4 Voodoo by hyperflex and it's warm, but not really flexible. If there is any current in the lineup to battle i get out of the water because my arms wear out so fast. Although to be fair, that may be my disdain for 5 mils in general, and not the fault of hyperflex at all. Maybe it’s just nature of the beast that are 5 mils, Not sure. Also, Ive not tried the Vyrl series.
I've been most happy with Needs Essentials suits for the price. I've had 4 now (I think), and all have help up
better than more well-known brands and fit me well.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
My need suits fell apart just outside of the warranty. My vissla was about 18months. I just get the majors at discounted prices. A major brand at 40% outside the season is a good deal and they last longer in most cases.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
looks like Buell has an updated website, new suits and 20% off right now. I haven't worn them, but would give them a try if i needed a suit.
http://instagr.am/p/B-ww_4LnTNo/

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
My girl I was dating at the time got gifted a free -Brand New -Xcel Infiniti 5/4 womens size 8.
She put it on and it was too big for her, and she was bummed. She tossed it on a chair and I kept walking by it and stopping to look, thinking "This looks like My size?" but that can't be possible...

Took it into the bathroom, slipped into it and Lo and behold- glove fit. A touch of room in the hips but aided in on and off. Snug and rad and warm for 2 full seasons and the beginning of another in Rhode Island, full time winter every swell surfer.

Have had a couple other womens suits since bought used for under $100 close to NEW when they popped up...and been stoked.
Stay away from Roxy and you'll be fine.
Also awesome is paddling up next to any over entitled go for every wave/drop in chick in the lineup and asking what size suit she wears, and then exclaiming- "Hey me too!"

So if you want a bargain wetsuit, with a smidge of room in the upper fartlocker quadrant...

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
For a budget suit I think it's tough to beat Buell, and their hooded 5/4 is only $300, might even be able to get it cheaper on Cleanline with a coupon or code. I get about the same longevity out of those suits as I did my Isurus or a spendy O'neill, thats with the fresh water rinse, and hang in the shade after every surf. Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the new Vans surf boot, I was about to order a pair.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Xcel on the discount sites. Even if you get a lemon, if a 150 dollar suit lasts you only a year it's still worth it
Oneil Psycho 1: If you can get it on sale around 200-230 (not really easy) this is your best bet

Needs: Haven't tried but they seem to get more positive reviews than negative

Reactions: Mr J

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Oniel phsyco 1 is best bang for the buck that i have tried.I also have a 3/2 rip curl dawn patrol .thread in the knee started coming out after first surf and materials feel stiff compared to higher end models. Check out cleanline , i got this years oniel on sale for good price plus some free wax , stickers,candy and post card wishing me stock and thanks

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
best to get a past season suit. there's been some good deals recently due to the virus. tis the end of winter they've begun to discount this years stock. i've found that the mid range suits are probably the best bang for your buck, get some decent warmth and flexibility. scored an xcel infiniti ltd recently for a nice price, something along those lines would be a good bet.