Best bargain brand wetsuit?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Can't wait for a wetsuit with DIY branding that looks like it was drawn by a 6-year old! #sopunk
Or I can just have my toddler write "sUbdiVision" on a plain black suit. She would be stoked if we also drew the panther from his CF fins!

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I think with the Buell/Subdivision it'll be pretty minimal branding and the proposed smoothie is a plus. I've heard good things about their suits, but the skeleton guy on the side of the SB3 Attack Mode (the suit I was interested in) kind of makes it a no-go for me.

I don't know why I have it in my head to try a zipperless this season for my 3/2, but I'm curious to try on a couple. Buell had some even though they show they're sold out online. My local shop doesn't have any of their fullsuits. The guy at Buell recommended that I find one to try on, since he said broad-shouldered people (which I have in addition to chimpanzee arms) have a tough time with the zipperless entry.

Last edited:
Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think with the Buell/Subdivision it'll be pretty minimal branding and the proposed smoothie is a plus. I've heard good things about their suits, but the skeleton guy on the side of the SB3 Attack Mode (the suit I was interested in) kind of makes it a no-go for me.

I don't know why I have it in my head to try a zipperless this season for my 3/2, but I'm curious to try on a couple. Buell had a some even though they show they're sold out online. My local shop doesn't have any of their fullsuits. The guy at Buell recommended that I find one to try on, since he said broad-shouldered people (which I have in addition to chimpanzee arms) have a tough time with the zipperless entry.
yeah, That skeleton is stupid if your older than 15. Interesting that the entry is on the right ride rather than the left like every other suit I’ve had.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Ryan Buell was the designer for hotline for years wasn't he? :)
He was, but they are cut differently. I've tried Hotline's on. It was not a good match for my lanky ass.

Buell was a much better fit but it leaked out of the gate for me, so I sent it back. I'm willing to give them another shot though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ReForest

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
He was, but they are cut differently. I've tried on Hotline's on. It was not a good match for my lanky ass.

Buell was a much better fit but it leaked out of the gate for me, so I sent it back. I'm willing to give them another shot though.
my recent buell is a much better suit than the one I tried like 8 yrs ago.

thankfully the 5/4 doesn't have any weird logos or anything.

Reactions: jkb and ChaseTMP

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Wow, those Buell's really have some hideous graphic design. Fortunatly that stuff seems to peel off pretty quick. I have an old Hurley with some stupid white graphics that peeled off almost instantly.

Will the Dane suit be generously cut for the Dane dad bod?

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I just picked up my daughter an O'Neill Reactor (Women size) for under $120.

Really nice suit! plus the smooth skin chest for the wind. They had a Psycho I in her size and was willing to pay for it, but she preferred the Reactor. Can’t blame her.

Reactions: Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Wow. I never considered buying a Buell so I never looked at their prices. They are pretty affordable. Their branding has actually calmed down a bit in some of their models.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wow, those Buell's really have some hideous graphic design. Fortunatly that stuff seems to peel off pretty quick. I have an old Hurley with some stupid white graphics that peeled off almost instantly.
Black sharpie helps too. I had to mark out a huge )( on the shoulder of an old hurley. I do like that Vissla does a blackout colorway with almost no logos

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Black sharpie helps too. I had to mark out a huge )( on the shoulder of an old hurley. I do like that Vissla does a blackout colorway with almost no logos
Yeah, I've liked Vissla's understated and/or blacked out logos. The suits are pretty good bang for the buck as well. This will be my third season (more like 2.5) in my North Seas 4/3. My Seven Seas 3/2 didn't quite make it to it's 3rd season. A seam is splitting on the front part of the left shoulder.

I was hoping to get their High Seas no-zip 3/2, but it's looking like early December at the earliest due to supply issues. I'm not too stocked on their heathered colorways this season. I get pretty decent hook-ups on Visslas, but I may have to look at other brands and more money since I'm not sure I can hang for two+ months with the dawn air in the low 60's. The water is still really warm (70º ish) in the South Bay, but I'm getting cold in my 2mm short arm due to the air temp.

I think I'm going to check out an O'Neill 3/2 Hyperfreak zipless in the next day or so. I beta tested an early zipless suit back in the late 90's when I was getting suits from them under their "marketing pro" (aka bottom tier team rider) program and you had to be Houdini to get in and out of it. The neoprene was permanently stretched out of shape in about two months of wearing the thing.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
This evening I tried on a Hyperfreak 3/2 no-zip and it was definitely stretchy, but I question how warm it will be as it felt not too much more substantial than my 2mm Vissla ss. The manager who I’ve known for 30+ years, suggested I try on a Rip Curl E-Bomb nz as he thought the were considerably warmer.

The E-bomb was much harder to get on and off compared to the O’Neill, but also felt a lot warmer. I think if I was the least bit amped to get out for a quick session, I’d probably lose my mind trying to get the E-Bomb on in a hurry. The neck was also a little too high on the Rip Curl for my liking.

I wish O’Neill made the 3.5/2.5 Hyperfreak in a no-zip. I think I’ll wait to see if the Vissla High Seas 3/2’s show up in late November as the rumor-mill is saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
they feel so much better to paddle in. minimal resistance to movement- like wearing a 2mil wetsuit top instead of a 3mil fullsuit. Nowadays, they honestly take no more time to get into than CZ. I can imagine the opening would stretch out over time, but you'll have leaky seams in any of these suits before that happens anyway.

why ziperless? cz is alredy a pita as is

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yeah, I've never had much of a problem with cz's. The Hyperfreak was really easy to get in and out of. I've been eager to try a nz.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
This evening I tried on a Hyperfreak 3/2 no-zip and it was definitely stretchy, but I question how warm it will be as it felt not too much more substantial than my 2mm Vissla ss. The manager who I’ve known for 30+ years, suggested I try on a Rip Curl E-Bomb nz as he thought the were considerably warmer.

The E-bomb was much harder to get on and off compared to the O’Neill, but also felt a lot warmer. I think if I was the least bit amped to get out for a quick session, I’d probably lose my mind trying to get the E-Bomb on in a hurry. The neck was also a little too high on the Rip Curl for my liking.

I wish O’Neill made the 3.5/2.5 Hyperfreak in a no-zip. I think I’ll wait to see if the Vissla High Seas 3/2’s show up in late November as the rumor-mill is saying.
I have a front zip 3mm hyperfreak for 805 and is plenty warm for So CA. I was going to go 3/2mm but CI only had 3mm on rack and still gave me 3/2 discount. The hyperfreak has no liner which makes it super flexible but wind gets in while you wait for sets so keep moving no problem.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Had a LOT of good luck with Excel and always pay under 200 clams for em via seshday or whatever.

Buell, had 2, so comfortable, so warm, so easy to put on, but the inside fabric layer would delaminate from the foam rubber very quickly. The fact I never rinse (when I get home, I do flush em at the car) or wash my suits may have been an issue, but I shouldn't have to, man.

I need a 3/2 for down here though, that RB3 for $200 sounds pretty good. Anyone sell Buell's in SoCal?