Berkeley city council wants to prohibit police from making traffic stops.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It's not the War on Drugs that's being scapegoated, it's the selectivity involved in enforcing that war.

Cops could troll any Hollywood party and Simpson/Bruckheimer Productions (among so many others) is done, dead. But they don't, even knowing that it's a smorgasbord going on and you have probable cause in duckets.

Can you guess why?

Although I guess that might change with Hollywood's push for more diversity.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
It's not the War on Drugs that's being scapegoated, it's the selectivity involved in enforcing that war.

Cops could troll any Hollywood party and Simpson/Bruckheimer Productions (among so many others) is done, dead. But they don't, even knowing that it's a smorgasbord going on and you have probable cause in duckets.

Can you guess why?

Although I guess that might change with Hollywood's push for more diversity.
Fine with me. I have even more contempt for Hollywood than for rich people.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Fine with me. I have even more contempt for Hollywood than for rich people.
Yeah, you don't seem like the typical meathead cop. (y)

I grew up in around all that sh*t. Yeah, they may have a ton of money but they have no heart. Highly apparent in surf/snow. There's nothing I despise more than rich people buying their way through life, whether to gain access or get out of their troubles. I believe in a level playing field, one where status is earned through skill and style; money doesn't mean a thing. Period.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Going back to the OP about people in Berkeley lobbying to prohibit the cops from doing traffic, let me say that if that's what they really want then I think that's the right decision for them to make.

Sooner or later people need to come to terms with the idea that the cops at the street level enact the priorities of the agencies which in turn answer directly to the civic leaders. Departmental culture and priorities (including withdrawing, when that's the case) starts at the top, not the bottom.

It was the civic leaders who decided to surrender the Seattle substation to the CHAZ, not the cops. And it was the civic leaders who eventually reconsidered that decision and reasserted their jurisdiction and control of that area. Not the cops.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sooner or later people need to come to terms with the idea that the cops at the street level enact the priorities of the agencies which in turn answer directly to the civic leaders. Departmental culture and priorities (including withdrawing, when that's the case) starts at the top, not the bottom.
So much yes.

Exactly what I was getting at. The cops harassing black people across the board for just living, that comes from somewhere above, and THAT is systemic racism.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Yeah, you don't seem like the typical meathead cop. (y)

I grew up in around all that sh*t. Yeah, they may have a ton of money but they have no heart. Highly apparent in surf/snow. There's nothing I despise more than rich people buying their way through life, whether to gain access or get out of their troubles. I believe in a level playing field, one where status is earned through skill and style; money doesn't mean a thing. Period.
Yeah, I don't think you'll find that many cops who like rich people.

Arresting a 40-something RHOC type for DUI or possession is always a shtshow. It's all fun and games to them while they're going through the field sobriety exam. They're so accustomed to controlling their environment. But once the handcuffs come out they start screaming about being raped and kidnapped. "you're RAPING me, you're RAPING me". Sux.

Talk therapy never works on those bitches, either.

Arresting one of their kids for anything is a 50/50 proposition. Half of those parents will be so pissed we'll have to restrain them to protect the kid and the other half will try to run interference for them so their lives won't be ruined.

Most of that action happens in the courts, which are all-to-prone to giving junior a dozen chances before they send him up.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yeah, I don't think you'll find that many cops who like rich people.

Arresting a 40-something RHOC type for DUI is always a shtshow. It's all fun and games to them while they're going through the field sobriety exam. They're so accustomed to controlling their environment. But once the handcuffs come out they start screaming about being raped and kidnapped. "you're RAPING me, you're RAPING me". Sux.

Talk therapy never works on those bitches, either;.
Exactly. And the department knows that those people will go full entitlement and try to sue the department to the ground. I do understand why cops don't want to deal with that headache. So much easier to just pull over Mexicans driving through town (Malibu).

This is when police brutality seems more acceptable. If you tase them enough to the point they can't spell lawyer, it'll be even harder for them to spell litigation. I think it would be good for a certain sector of society: cops could call them Rodney Karens over dispatch.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
To Protect and Serve now has a ROI and it's not the rich.

They never break the law.

Fucking hell. Gross is an understatement.

Perfect example how personal biases affect cop's decision making.

Like the time when he said that if black people didn't dress the way they dress, there would be less racism.

Wonder how many people he harassed because they wore baggy pants.

Baggy pants = gangster

Inspector GDud is on the case.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I hope criminals can get away with more sh!t....what else do you think we should do to help them continue on with their crimes
I hope a cop stops you for a broken tail light and then kneels on your neck for 8 minutes because you didn't know what time it is and you were not in your neighborhood at 2 AM.

It would be all worth it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Arresting one of their kids for anything is a 50/50 proposition. Half of those parents will be so pissed we'll have to restrain them to protect the kid and the other half will try to run interference for them so their lives won't be ruined.

Most of that action happens in the courts, which are all-to-prone to giving junior a dozen chances before they send him up.
A kid I knew growing up was constantly bailed out. Expelled from a slew of schools for a slew of different sh*t, between being drunk or setting bus seats on fire. Parents kept helping him, pulling strings to keep him out of real trouble. And he was one to always rail on how all black people are criminals in jail. I had to remind him of the time he got busted by cops for carrying an ounce of weed (pre-medicinal days), a scale, and a wad of cash. His parents paid $25K and got him free. Libertarian/extreme Trumptard that he still is, he sure didn't really want to be reminded of how his rich ass privilege kept him out of jail and that not everyone has that Get-Out-of-Jail-for-Money card like he did. Too damn funny. He's still worthless, lived at home until his 30s upon which they finally kicked him out while buying him a business to f*ck up with lack of effort.

It's kind of unreal.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
A kid I knew growing up was constantly bailed out. Expelled from a slew of schools for a slew of different sh*t, between being drunk or setting bus seats on fire. Parents kept helping him, pulling strings to keep him out of real trouble. And he was one to always rail on how all black people are criminals in jail. I had to remind him of the time he got busted by cops for carrying an ounce of weed (pre-medicinal days), a scale, and a wad of cash. His parents paid $25K and got him free. Libertarian/extreme Trumptard that he still is, he sure didn't really want to be reminded of how his rich ass privilege kept him out of jail and that not everyone has that Get-Out-of-Jail-for-Money card like he did. Too damn funny. He's still worthless, lived at home until his 30s upon which they finally kicked him out while buying him a business to f*ck up with lack of effort.

It's kind of unreal.
Hey I know that guy.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube

It's kind of unreal.
Jealous much?

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
What I'm saying is that this is how the police shootings and harassment happens.

Cops are trained to look for the worst in every situation and overact immediately and not to have good judgement of character and be there to help first.

It's all about escalation and punishment.

Nowhere in the Western world is easier to get manhandled by the cops and end up in handcuffs for nothing.

People are afraid to stop and ask cops for directions in the US.

The attitude is to shut up, obey and take it, even if you're innocent. That's fücked up.
Interesting I work with some Russians who love it here. They were astounded by this "coffee with a cop" event at a Starbucks. He's like "In Russia the cops will just beat and rob you. What are you all complaining about?" Also in Mexico I've been shaken down (bribes demanded) for nothing a few times. Over here I've had my car tossed a few times after going 56 in a 55 or whatever, yes, but they don't find anything and send me on my way. I'm really polite. Cops are scary all over.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
I'd add too that with your ROI comment, you have not spent much time among the really affluent. Drugs are off the charts. The kids have 4-5 figure/week allowances, most of which is spent on coke. And they're entitled as f*ck so they'll leave an ounce on the dash while they drive. Cops pull the same percentages on pullovers but do it in the affluent areas, you're talking an Escobarian level of seizures within a week. But the parents pull a sh*tload of strings so the police don't do sh*t around my neighborhood. A couple homeless that float around now and then but the mountain lions have been regulating that more than the cops ever could.
Super rich kids are usually satanically bad. One guy I knew who would never have to work a day in his life became a drug dealer for the status and the kicks. On his 5th (or more) DUI (parents were connected as well as wealthy so charges never stuck) the cops found a bunch of weed and blow on him so he was finally up against it. The dude rolled on his whole crew immediately and disappeared. Total POS.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I hope a cop stops you for a broken tail light and then kneels on your neck for 8 minutes because you didn't know what time it is and you were not in your neighborhood at 2 AM.

It would be all worth it.
And don’t come crying to us when some lowlife with no insurance, a suspended license, and driving a car that’s unsafe to be on the road while drunk blows through a red light and kills someone you know because without the threat of traffic stops it will become chaos.

There were parts of LA where LEO was absent/otherwise occupied and motherfuckers would run reds on the reg enough that I looked out for it. Ever driven in a foreign country? Cause that’s what it could look like here eventually.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Interesting I work with some Russians who love it here. They were astounded by this "coffee with a cop" event at a Starbucks. He's like "In Russia the cops will just beat and rob you. What are you all complaining about?" Also in Mexico I've been shaken down (bribes demanded) for nothing a few times. Over here I've had my car tossed a few times after going 56 in a 55 or whatever, yes, but they don't find anything and send me on my way. I'm really polite. Cops are scary all over.
I wouldnt even risk eyeballing a Russian cop. Butt of an AK to the side of the head. Right after the riots/looting/protesting started I was talking with an Iranian friend about US cops vs the rest of the worlds response. We both agreed that in most other countries you’d be lucky if they were using rubber bullets. Cops don’t play in most of the rest of the world. Brazil would’ve sent in the black tanks with skulls painted on them.