Berkeley city council wants to prohibit police from making traffic stops.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Federales searched our car once for being gringos in the parking lot at K55. Found an old pipe under the seat (no weed though). Fucking dude pointed his gun at us while his buddy searched the car. We were scared shitless.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
And don’t come crying to us when some lowlife with no insurance, a suspended license, and driving a car that’s unsafe to be on the road while drunk blows through a red light and kills someone you know because without the threat of traffic stops it will become chaos.

There were parts of LA where LEO was absent/otherwise occupied and motherfuckers would run reds on the reg enough that I looked out for it. Ever driven in a foreign country? Cause that’s what it could look like here eventually.
Is there a reason why is it not possible to catch criminals and not harass citizens at the same time?

False dilemma much?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Interesting I work with some Russians who love it here. They were astounded by this "coffee with a cop" event at a Starbucks. He's like "In Russia the cops will just beat and rob you. What are you all complaining about?" Also in Mexico I've been shaken down (bribes demanded) for nothing a few times. Over here I've had my car tossed a few times after going 56 in a 55 or whatever, yes, but they don't find anything and send me on my way. I'm really polite. Cops are scary all over.

Russia is not "West".

Thanks.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Federales searched our car once for being gringos in the parking lot at K55. Found an old pipe under the seat (no weed though). Fucking dude pointed his gun at us while his buddy searched the car. We were scared shitless.
In my early 20s I thought I was pretty adventurous so I set off on a bus adventure through Mexico. There were a lot of military searches and checkpoints, no big deal. The federal cops were the real jerks. Dudes with like stained wifebeaters, toothpicks, smelling like booze, .45 tucked into the waistband, gold tooth, necklace badge etc. I think they were called "PGR" which has something to do with the DA. The whole M.O. was board the bus at 2am, start tossing the overhead luggage and screaming in sleeping passengers faces. The more indigenous looking the passenger, the meaner the cop. Everyone was pretty much terrified but shrugged it off. Also no presumption of innocence, that legal construct so despised by Fecal....they had absolute power. Night and day compared to US coppers.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I hope a cop stops you for a broken tail light and then kneels on your neck for 8 minutes because you didn't know what time it is and you were not in your neighborhood at 2 AM.

It would be all worth it.
Be careful what you're fighting for
You think you are a nice person but you are a dick

"It would be all worth it"
Serbian coming through loud and clear

• Haha
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Going back to the OP about people in Berkeley lobbying to prohibit the cops from doing traffic, let me say that if that's what they really want then I think that's the right decision for them to make.

Sooner or later people need to come to terms with the idea that the cops at the street level enact the priorities of the agencies which in turn answer directly to the civic leaders. Departmental culture and priorities (including withdrawing, when that's the case) starts at the top, not the bottom.

It was the civic leaders who decided to surrender the Seattle substation to the CHAZ, not the cops. And it was the civic leaders who eventually reconsidered that decision and reasserted their jurisdiction and control of that area. Not the cops.
Berkeley is the only place I've seen up here that has homeless tents inside of a freeway on/offramp cloverleaf (University Ave exit). Maybe that's not a city jurisdiction, but still..

edit, apparently it is CalTrans property but the city is "helping" with trash pickup

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
It never matters who the crook is or why they're doing the crime. The cop's job is to stop that person from continuing to hurt other people or otherwise offend, even if only temporarily. And to do so promptly and efficiently so they can move on to the next call for service involving another asshole who is committing offenses for it-doesn't-matter-why.

If I get a call to handle the meth head who's accosting people at the local stop-n-rob my job is to handle it. IDGAF if the reason they're out of control is because they were raised by a single mom or their shthead 1st grade teacher demanded they be put on Ritalin or they're angry at Orangemanbad. None of that matters in that moment. The job at hand is to bring the meth head under control so as to stop them from committing more offenses.

The social workers can come in later and waste the next 18 months of their lives trying (in vain) to solve whatever malfunctions that offender had going which made them a problem for public order. That isn't the cop's job.

Last edited:
Reactions: laidback

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
If I get a call to handle the meth head who's accosting people at the local stop-n-rob my job is to handle it. IDGAF if the reason they're out of control is because they were raised by a single mom or their shthead 1st grade teacher demanded they be put on Ritalin or they're angry at Orangemanbad. None of that matters in that moment. The job at hand is to bring the meth head under control so as to stop them from committing more offenses.
A hug & reassuring voice would do it

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Drugs. The Narcos are feeding off of this. Berkely, SF. They distribute their products. No Police?

A free reign. From bad to worse.