Aussie/NZ COVID.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
What is HSC?

Aussie translation please, wankers.

I'm on week two and I would just like to say even with a mask on I am a treasure.:waving: :dancing:
Sorry dudes - yep - final exam, which gives them a special university entry rank number out of 100. For example, you need an atar of 95 or so to do law or medicine at Sydney University. Essentially, that means you need 90% in all your subjects (scaling also applies here).

Reactions: Aruka and waxfoot

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
my daughter is doing HSC as we speak.
pretty fcuking stressful.

she is doing OK though, school has been great.
I feel for them. The online learning thing is one aspect and my seniors have been pretty good (jnr's are another story). But they miss all of that great end-of-year stuff: last days of school, muck up day, graduation, formal. I've heard a few rumours that the only exam they will actually sit is English... We can wait and see whether this will actually transpire or not.

Reactions: Mr J

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Sorry dudes - yep - final exam, which gives them a special university entry rank number out of 100. For example, you need an atar of 95 or so to do law or medicine at Sydney University. Essentially, that means you need 90% in all your subjects (scaling also applies here).
I had a student from NZ who was here on a soccer scholarship.

He was so far ahead of the other kids.

I used to joke around with him saying, "I'm sorry you have to deal with all these stupid America people."

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I feel for them. The online learning thing is one aspect and my seniors have been pretty good (jnr's are another story). But they miss all of that great end-of-year stuff: last days of school, muck up day, graduation, formal. I've heard a few rumours that the only exam they will actually sit is English... We can wait and see whether this will actually transpire or not.
Smart kids will be fine. They alway are.

Being black isn't what makes you not have privilege..

It's being stupid.

Ugly comes next.

• Haha
Reactions: waxfoot and Bman76

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
... I still have my doubts that vaccination will be the magic bullet…
A year ago we were hoping it would be the magic bullet, the big worry then was if it was even possible to develop a COVID vaccine.

The world has succeeded better than expectations, multiple vaccines produced with an efficacy better than our garden variety flu vaccines (don't hold me to that, but I heard one of our experts say that about efficacy - we have lots of experts, that is academics with real degrees in epidemiology, but they have been saying different things at different stages).

We now know that it is not a magic bullet. This idea of herd immunity at 80% vaxxed not possible due to incredible transmissible nature of delta and who knows what will come next. Also preventing sickness does not mean preventing catching it and transmitting it. We are already being prepared that the new normal will be a masked new normal.

The way I see it though, that our only way forward is to get vaxxed regardless of how effective it is. I don't think we have the stomach for the Swedish way and the way the states are operate against each other with locked borders it does not look possible to open up before we reach 80%. In principle the states are in agreement with our 70% - 80% Doherty plan (even if they will act on it differently). The people don't seem to be objecting to it. So I think its just get on with getting vaxxed and see what happens.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I put it around 1 in 4, maybe higher as I interact and see behaviors of close peers and family for myself, have absolutely lost their marbles.

All exhibit a high sensitivity to stimulus, regardless of what it is, and their irrational fears take over as they “boil over” and fall into a suck cycle demanding power over the situation to alleviate their fears.

mental health is absolutely the next big issue. and as casa says, lifestyle decisions due to poor mental health (see: drinking to numb the pain/boredom) will lead to even bigger downstream issues.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I saw that Hayden was advertising for a new "Customer experience" person - the last guy must have quit after getting so many complaints. The HS factory here at Mona Vale is flat out and can't get enough decent labour. Must be a common problem.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
The one benefit to this nonsense is that all the good surfboard manufacturers are keeping their online stock up to date too.

Reactions: rowjimmytour