Aussie/NZ COVID.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The Vic state government. Your second question is moot, because I am not a rebel like you trying to find fault with every rule that is thrown at me.
I'm trying to find fault, I'm saying we've known for over a year it's not necessary to mask outside.

I don't think there's anything rebellious about that.

Perhaps they should make everyone wear their skivvies on the outside of their pants too.

Or maybe 10 people are dead because of the actions of the maskless people in @freeride's photos.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Stoked I postponed my vaxxxx. Waves were pumping and I'm cooked from days of surfing - woulda been so gutting to miss out. My back operation is also back on, so just as well I postponed, because I wouldn't have been able to get to the follow up shot in good time.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
@waxfoot great news about your back op being back on. You are lucky that Qld is not in lockdown. Lockdowns have been playing havoc with non essential hospital admissions in Vic and I would think NSW right now. Colon cancer runs in my family so I get checked out in hospital every 5 yrs or so. That was cancelled twice due to unfortunate lockdown timing. Finally got to make a trip back to Melbourne for the the hospital admission a few weeks ago and then 2 days after that Vic went back down into lockdown. All clear.

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot and Hazrus

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
There’s talk that some of the hospitals in western Syd are feeling the pressure of COVID cases. Apparently the 000 had the biggest day ever late last week - worst than the biggest NYE

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
There’s talk that some of the hospitals in western Syd are feeling the pressure of COVID cases. Apparently the 000 had the biggest day ever late last week - worst than the biggest NYE
Its not just talk, that news has come straight from the NSW Ambulance Commissioner. Victoria's lockdown is sort of working - but not working well enough to end the lockdown :(

I listen to the 11 am press conference that your premier, CHO and health minister give every day. They are sending a very good message to the people to get vaccinated.

Reactions: Bman76

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
@waxfoot great news about your back op being back on. You are lucky that Qld is not in lockdown. Lockdowns have been playing havoc with non essential hospital admissions in Vic and I would think NSW right now. Colon cancer runs in my family so I get checked out in hospital every 5 yrs or so. That was cancelled twice due to unfortunate lockdown timing. Finally got to make a trip back to Melbourne for the the hospital admission a few weeks ago and then 2 days after that Vic went back down into lockdown. All clear.
Sharp rise in (non-Covid) mortality in Aus during lockdown:

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I reckon we're experiencing a massive, but hidden rise in health and social issues.

Anecdotally, I've had a number of coworkers struggle with mental health issues. Also, my wife is a teacher and she is seeing significant rises in domestic violence at school. I wonder if this is the tip of the iceberg.

When we look back in history, I wonder if we will believe the lockdown strategy was correct.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I reckon we're experiencing a massive, but hidden rise in health and social issues.

Anecdotally, I've had a number of coworkers struggle with mental health issues. Also, my wife is a teacher and she is seeing significant rises in domestic violence at school. I wonder if this is the tip of the iceberg.

When we look back in history, I wonder if we will believe the lockdown strategy was correct.
If was the worst strategy ever devised. We knew that in May of last year

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011

I'm a teacher and it's wearing the kids down. A 12 year old girl just down the road killed herself a few weeks back - that sat everyone down. We've had significant pastoral issues coming in daily that we can't deal with (for obvious reasons). This steep rise in mental health issues with our students can be mapped against the decline in their academics - I have some students I have not seen in ten weeks; not attended nada; not submitted a thing. I will be very surprised if they can run a HSC this year.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

There has been a rise in alcoholism.

We do a lot of liver transplants and we're seeing significantly higher numbers of young patients with liver disease, or dead of liver disease.

My concern is there was a lot of heavy drinking in the first lockdown/shutdown stages of the pandemic and some people not only did some damage to their liver but also developed a habit.

These are people that may not have clinically significant liver disease now but 5 or 10 years down the road will start to have issues.

These are casualties for a later date.

As far as the kids - remember those "at risk" schoolkids everyone used to be so concerned about?

Many of the people who were always so supposedly concerned told them to keep schools closed and get f*cked. They lost a year and a half of education.

That's a big problem.

Meanwhile these supposedly concerned hired tutors for their own kids to supplement the shitty online learning environment.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have some students I have not seen in ten weeks; not attended nada; not submitted a thing. I
My wife teaches in a private elementary school.

They continued in person learning.

At the same time, public schools kept kids home doing online learning. Note this was ASA (against scientific advice).

Her friends who were teaching public elementary ed had plenty of kids who never even logged in.

The district had them pass these students with a C.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I'm a teacher and it's wearing the kids down. A 12 year old girl just down the road killed herself a few weeks back - that sat everyone down. We've had significant pastoral issues coming in daily that we can't deal with (for obvious reasons). This steep rise in mental health issues with our students can be mapped against the decline in their academics - I have some students I have not seen in ten weeks; not attended nada; not submitted a thing. I will be very surprised if they can run a HSC this year.
my daughter is doing HSC as we speak.
pretty fcuking stressful.

she is doing OK though, school has been great.